Jimi Hendrix: Purple Box Disc-by-Disc

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Clarkophile, Jul 9, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Clarkophile

Clarkophile Through the Morning, Through the Night Thread Starter

Do you know the yell I'm speaking about at the 3:10 point? Doesn't sound like Jimi to me.

2. Phlo

Phlo Formerly dave-o

I've never heard the studio version of 'Pepper', nor was I even aware of it. I'd LOVE to hear that. Thanks for the info, Chris.

3. swedgin

swedgin Forum Resident

One of the things I enjoy about this set is that it is a very enjoyable listening experience even for the more casual fan. I expected to have to put in a good bit of work to appreciate the set but disc 2 and 3 especially are a great listen.

Highlights on this disc for me include Little Wing, Bold as Love, Fire and as a Stills fan I must point out his fine bass playing on Somewhere.

Great thread guys, hearing other fans thoughts on a release give you an insight into an artist you never get from linear notes (no criticism of the notes in the set). A question for the Hendrix fanatics.... Was this a satisfying release when it came out, was there enough unreleased material, any long standing holy grails? I ask as there seems to be a lot of live material that was previously released (not an issue for me as I hadn't any in my collection).

4. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Always have been very happy with the following from this disc:
    Little Wing
    Bold As Love
    The Wind Cries Mary
    Catfish Blues
    Somewhere

Thought it was odd to insert the live version of Fire on this disc since it was readily available on the Clark University Dagger release....

5. jymy

jymy Senior Member

Ofcourse the music on it is all great, but I was indeed disappointed by the live track already officially released and available, and also the running time of the set. They could've put 1 hour more music on these 4 discs (or lose 20 minutes of released live rec. and made it 3 discs).

Several songs I remember missing: Peace In Mississippi (though on Voodoo Soup), Crash Landing; alternate takes of Voodoo Chile (SR), Come On pt.1, I Don't Live Today, Fire; several mono single mixes; to name a few.

6. Clarkophile

I've always adored the demo version of 'Sweet Angel.' The lead guitar portions almost seem to presage the Allman Brothers in richness of colour and texture. The rhythm box is quaint and unobtrusive---oddly enough it does not detract from the feel, it actually seems to add to the intimate, secret feeling of the demo.

7. Lord Summerisle

Lord Summerisle Senior Member

There's a sessions album there if ever there was one.

8. jymy

jymy Senior Member

Although Sweet Angel has the intro restored, compared to the version on South Saturn Delta, it kinda bugs me that the SSd-version starts with the 3rd line of original lyrics, but the Purple Box version starts with 4th.

original start:
    Angel came down from heaven yesterday
    She stayed with me just long enough to rescue me

...SSD start (missing above because of tape damage, and this line also not 100% clear):
    And she told me a story yesterday,

...Purple Box start (but with instrumental intro tacked on):
    About the sweet love between the moon and the deep blue sea
    etc

9. jymy

jymy Senior Member

A lot of alt. takes/rehearsals are 'out there', but VC and Come On were officially released, on Lifelines, while many other, otherwise unreleased, songs on Lifelines were only snippets. Unfortunately all long OOP.

10. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

I'd rather discuss the music but in response to maidenpriest's assertion that most of this was already available..

1. "Sgt. Pepper's.." – orig. released on Stages

2. "Burning of the Midnight Lamp" – orig. released on Stages

3. "Little Wing" – unre/unbooted performance

4. "Little Miss Lover" – unre/unbooted alt mix

5. "The Wind Cries Mary" – unre/unbooted performance

6. "Catfish Blues" – unre/unbooted performance

7. "Bold as Love" – unre/unbooted performance

8. "Sweet Angel" – alt mix of performance orig released on SSD

9. "Fire" – orig. released on Dagger

10. "Somewhere" – commonly booted by unre

11. "Have You Ever Been" – orig released on Loose Ends

12. "Gypsy Eyes" – unre/unbooted mix w/ diff. gtr parts

13. "Room Full of Mirrors" - unre/unbooted performance

14. "Gloria" – new mix done for box

15. "It’s Too Bad" – commonly booted but contains a verse missing from boots

16. "Star Spangled Banner" - orig. released on Rainbow Bridge

somebodywhocares likes this.
  11. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

Thats great Chris thanks for that info:wave:, any idea why Gloria contained a new mix, I have not heard this version for a while, my to go version of Gloria is the Singles collection Cd version. With the Purple Velvet box mix did they delete/mix out some of Hendrixs bad language etc, is this new mix total play time longer or shorter, what are the differences and why the need for a remix?

12. Chris M

I think it was the other way around. IIRC the other mixes are missing bits of risque lyrics and the EH box has them all (her breath smelled like wolf p...). I don't think there are any vintage 1968 mixes of Gloria. Just mixes Alan Douglas had done in the late 70's and the EH mix Kramer did for the box.

And while all that was happening
    I looked out the window
    And here comes the man with the groovy grass
    And here we are freakin' out, man
    You know we be gettin' into somethin' good
    And we layin' back freakin' and smokin' and jokin'
    and all of a sudden....I hear THE MAN comin'
    :laugh:

13. Maidenpriest

Oh great!!, i look forward to comparing these when i get home tonight :D

I will have to reduce the volume on my velvet box version and put it back in my playlist replacing the Douglas one then, cheers for that Chris:righton:

14. nail75

nail75 Well-Known Member

Yeah I agree, both versions are great. The one thing on this disc that is a little disappointing is "It's too bad". It features Larry Young, whom I hold in very high esteem and still I find it to be kind of flat and uninspiring. It was supposed to be a meeting of greats and it turned out a bit uninvolving. Too bad.

15. Sander

Sander Senior Member

I must admit I'm more of a casual Hendrix fan, but this thread has wet my appetite for the Purple Box. I don't mean to thread crap, but I was wondering about the mastering on these 4 discs. Most of the EH releases I have heard are a little loud for my taste (I prefer the sound of the early Polydor releases). Is the mastering on the box set comparable to other EH releases? Thanks!

16. Maidenpriest

I can't listen to it without re-burning the Cds at a reduced volume level to Cdr:shake:

17. Lord Summerisle

I've always heard it as Wet P....y.

18. nail75

nail75 Well-Known Member

I never noticed any loudness problems with this set. I have tons of CDs that are much louder. But I am not an audiophile anyways.

By the way, is there any hope that you will change your remarkably unfunny signature any time soon or at least remove that highly irritating smiley?

19. Maidenpriest

It has to volume match my 'original' Hendrix Cd's, but even then I think the soundstage is not right ie, drums too loud etc:shake:

20. nail75

nail75 Well-Known Member

I will keep your comments in mind when listening to the next disc.

21. Lord Summerisle

How about just enjoying the music?

22. I love the version of "Axis" on this disk and used the first section to create a frankenstein version of the song. My new version now has an instrumental intro to the original album version of the song.

I like the demo of Angel too, but for me the drum/metronome machine does detract a bit from the experience. Great Hendrix vocal on this one, perhaps one of his all time best.

23. Clarkophile

Fantastic! I've always wanted to do that.

24. vinyldreams

vinyldreams Forum Resident

I think it's wet not wolf. :cool:

25. Chris M

I've never been sure but always heard wolf but now that you say it wet does make more sense :laugh:

Here is some footage of the Gloria recording session. Only some of it is in sync but fascinating nonetheless.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e3fS8pHaFv0

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.