Jethro Tull's Thick As A Brick Stereo/5.1 remix will be released on October 15th.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Pockets17red, Jul 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Music Geek

Music Geek Confusion will be my epitaph

So £27 for CD+DVD with DTS/Dolby compared against £9 for 2CD+DVD-Audio with lossless 5.1 for EL&P. Wow that is really value for money.... and before anyone mentions the 100 page book: I don't care!

2. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

I'm inclined to agree (see also the KC deluxe editions). I'm just relieved that this set will be more affordable than the bloated Aqualung box.

3. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

It actually says 100+ pages :goodie:

Really hope it will include the full original newspaper reproduction

4. They also would need to include the cover's alternate stories, that is the one on the back entitled "Reprise boss in hotel theft", which is probably unique to the North American version of the LP, replaced in the UK (and Europe, and...?) by the "Chrysalis and Bostock firm foundation deal" piece (that one also included in the US version, but on p. 5 instead) and "Snooker - Big break, by Nat Pons", which might be unique to the UK/Euro version, ditto for "Towns have close affinity" on p. 5...

But I sure would not hold any bet on this...

(God, this WAS a complicated post to put together!)

5. rtsurroundfan

rtsurroundfan Active Member

Ok, I'm intrigued by this 100 page book if we really are getting one. It'll probably include the original 16page newspaper as well as the March 2012 PROG magazine interview on TAAB. The Aqualung book also included text from the tour programme, yearly chronology, and interviews with the original recording engineer & SW, so it's possible that we could be getting similar material in this package.

So it seems like EMI are giving us super deluxe edition packaging without SDE quality audio.
    Now I can understand if there weren't any bonus tracks available for use, but I still cannot comprehend why EMI insist on giving us Audio DVDs instead of DVD-Audio or Blu-Ray! Now, as SW and others have said before, Blu-Ray is expensive to author, but there is NO good reason why they could not have given us DVD-A/V instead of just DVD-V. C'mon, if SONY can do it, why the hell can't EMI?!?! :realmad:

6. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

+1. While Robert Fripp is considered a tough person in some quarters, he's at least a philanthrope compared to Ian. Hell, even the triple ELP ego and demands can't beat Ian for that matter. :sigh: Another 100% inadequate release is coming (together with the probable second wave of crisis). I have been holding my breath on this one but may give up now and simply buy the current remaster of the classic mix. Life's too short. :cool:

7. AZRunner

AZRunner Forum Resident

You get what you pay for. I personally think the Aqualung box was a much better value than this (the lowest price I saw for the Aqualung box was $73 at importcd's).

8. Tristero

Yeah, I almost wish that I'd taken the plunge when it got that low, but there were too many other things I wanted to buy at that point, so I had to settle for the two disc version. I really wanted to have the 5.1 mix, but it wasn't worth another $90 or whatever. We'll see where the price shakes out here, but I imagine it will come down to earth eventually.

9. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

Lossey 5.1 sucks.

10. Pockets17red

Pockets17red Member Thread Starter

The CD/DVD and double vinyl sets are now available for pre-order from Burning Shed: Release Date November 5

CD/DVD https://www.burningshed.com/store/jethrotull/product/444/4140/add/4140/

Info:The glorious 40th anniversary edition of Jethro Tull's conceptual masterpiece, Thick As A Brick.

The CD features a new mix of the album by Steven Wilson, while the DVD contains 5.1 DTS & Dolby Digital surround sound mix, high quality stereo 96/24 (new mix), the original 1972 stereo mix flat transferred to 96/24 PCM (directly from the Morgan Studios recording by Robin Black), plus a 1972 radio ad.

The original TAAB newspaper, an article by Classic Rock's Dom Lawson, rare photos by Didi Zill and Robert Ellis, recording/touring mementos and much more are contained in a 104 page hardback book.

Double Vinyl https://www.burningshed.com/store/jethrotull/product/444/4141/remove/4141/
    Info:Thick As A Brick (2012 Steven Wilson mix) and Thick As A Brick 2 combined in a double 180gm vinyl set with an accompanying 72 page book.

The book contains:

* the original TAAB 1 newspaper rebuilt for the 12 x 12 format on 16 pages of newspaper style paper
    * the 2012 TAAB 2 newspaper printed on gloss paper (originally pdf files on the DVD).
    * an article by Classic Rock's Dom Lawson about TAAB 1.
    * an Ian Anderson interview conducted by The Reverend George Pitcher covering both albums, and the 2012 TAAB tour.
    * many rare 1972/73 photos from photographers Didi Zill and Robert Ellis covering 'street' and live situations as well as the 2012 tour
    * photos by Martin Webb.
    * memories of the recording from engineer Robin Black.
    * recording and touring memories from Martin Barre, Ian Anderson and Jeffrey Hammond.
    * a Q & A with tour manager Eric Brooks with tour memorabilia and the full 1972 itinerary.
    * Italian and German lyric translations of the original album and German, Czech, Italian, Polish, Russian, Spanish and Portuguese lyric translations for TAAB 2.

11. ribors

ribors Forum Resident

Too bad there are no bonus tracks here... realizing that live performances were probably not an option, but even a demo or alternate take or something (other than a radio ad) would have been nice.

12. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Heres a totally useless bit of info: On the original Chrysalis TAB CD (the version I own), there's a slight surprise at the end. After Ian sings the closing "to be thick..as a brick," there's a small pause and you hear him say "yeah." Not there on any other version, to my knowledge.

13. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

I will not buy this without a lossless 5.1 version.

14. rtsurroundfan

rtsurroundfan Active Member

Couldn't agree more. My guess is these pinheads at EMI were so worried about giving us great deluxe packaging (and I am actually really excited about the book) that they forgot to give us HIGH-RES DELUXE QUALITY 5.1 AUDIO!!!!

I mean honestly, how much more would it cost to have included Blu-Ray in the package? About $25 is my guess. I understand Blu-Ray is expensive to author and replicate, but yet the labels fail to understand the extra costs associated with DVD-Audio THAT DO NOT EXIST!!!

I will definitely be getting this release cause Brick is my favorite Tull album, and SW can do no wrong with his remixing. However, my excitement level has dropped quite considerably, and I'm very disappointed with EMI. The company that gave us great quality products on Blu-Ray last year have now sunk to a low yet again.

And don't even get me started if the DTS isn't 96/24!

15. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Is the SW remix going to be released on vinyl as a stand alone?

16. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

Your loss, then. Lossless would have been nice, no doubt, but I'll buy this to have in surround.
    I'm not going to pass on a 5.1 mix, remix, etc. by Mr. Wilson because of that - many of my favorite surround discs aren't lossless and I like them just fine!

17. Tristero

+ 1

Wilson's 5.1 mix of Caravan's Land of Grey & Pink wasn't even in dts and it still sounds pretty great. I would have preferred lossless, but I'm not going to pass on this just because of that.

18. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

If they didn't have vaults material then they could've included mulitracks for God's sake! :thumbsdn:

19. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

That was the exact disc that came to mind when I wrote my response. I really love that Caravan disc and have spun it many times and am always amazed how great it sounds in 5.1. I'd sure like to see more Caravan albums receive the same treatment, but I won't hold my breath...:sigh:

20. Pockets17red

No plans for a standalone release.

21. Pockets17red

I talked to the guy who runs Caravan's Facebook and official website and he said that the record company has no plans to have any other albums mixed by Steven.

22. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

It's nice to be able to hear this album in 5.1, but the Dolby encoding is really not that great when you've heard lossless. There's a good bit of "dulling" going on, less separation, etc... A lossless version can be found on some corners of the net...

23. whiskeyvengeance

whiskeyvengeance Forum Resident

No boxset required for 5.1. Thank God. This is what they should have done with Aqualung instead of forcing you to buy the LP and both DVD and Blu-ray formats.

24. rushed again

rushed again Senior Member

I'm in for this as i'm lacking a decent copy.

25. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

I've got the Aqualung box and four of the King Crimson CD/DVD sets (and counting) and, well, this really should have been done as a DVD-A like with the Crimson sets. I think it does a disservice to SW's mixing efforts to present the surround mix in a lossy format.

It's very odd how they've done a bloated box for Aqualung, which included a Blu-Ray with multiple lossless formats of the stereo, 5.1 and quad mixes, plus a redundant (for many of us) DVD, but now have gone quite budget (if you can call a CD/DVD set budget).

Wasn't fan feedback the main reason Aqualung got a Blu-Ray?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.