Jethro Tull's Thick As A Brick Stereo/5.1 remix will be released on October 15th.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Pockets17red, Jul 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. calgary669

calgary669 Forum Resident

I would certainly hope that the format of this one (for the deluxe) remains the same (Blu-Ray, vinyl, etc... ) remains the same. I love the Aqualung set and can't wait for the Wilson treatment on TAAB.

2. Pockets17red

Pockets17red Member Thread Starter

3. rtsurroundfan

rtsurroundfan Active Member

Here's some updates from Wilson regarding TAAB:

I sent him a message regarding Blu-Ray and here was his reply:

So if I can find a good webpage or email address, it might not be a bad idea to send EMI some "nice" messages about our request for Blu-Ray.

4. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

I really hope the contents will be revealed soon

And I wouldn't like to have the 1978 material and interviews again. I'd like to have material from the time :agree:

5. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

I'm just wondering what bonus material might be available from this period. AFAIC, there wasn't a cache of choice bonus tracks/outtakes from these sessions, as there were with most of their albums, and I'm not aware of too many good sounding live recordings, though they might have some tricks up their sleeve. We'll see soon, but I'm relieved that we likely won't have to spend an arm and a leg for this set.

6. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

If not Blu-Ray, at least DVD-Audio hi-rez along with the DVD-V (which I assume might have a hi-rez stereo mix, but a DTS/Dolby Digital surround mix).

We want hi-rez all around.

7. Pockets17red

Well, for those worrying that you will have to buy the 5.1 in the TAAB/TAAB2 Vinyl Bundle, EMI has put all of the product details here for the Vinyl Bundle. :righton:

http://www.esounds.com/esounds/EN/Details.aspx?ProductID=M5099970462210&VariantID=5099970462210

Jethro Tull - Thick As a Brick / Thick As a Brick 2 (Special Vinyl Collection)

CAT. NO 704 6221
    BAR CODE 5099970462210
    FORMAT Vinyl Album (2)
    Component No. 1
    Side 1
    1. Thick As A Brick (Part 1) (2012 Remix)
    Side 2
    1. Thick As A Brick (Part 2) (2012 Remix)
    Component No.2
    Side 1
    1. From a Pebble Thrown
    2. Pebbles Instrumental
    3. Might Have Beens
    4. Upper Sixth Loan Shark
    5. Banker Bets, Banker Wins
    6. Swing It Far
    7. Adrift and Dumfounded
    8. Old School Song
    9. Wootton Bassett Town

Side 2
    1. Power and Spirit
    2. Give Till It Hurts
    3. Cosy Corner
    4. Shunt and Shuffle
    5. A Change Of Horses
    6. Confessional
    7. Kismet in Suburbia
    8. What-ifs, Maybes and Might-have-beens

8. four sticks

four sticks Senior Member

My thoughts exactly.

9. Yardbird

Yardbird Forum Resident

Of all the Tull releases, Passion Play is my least favorite. As much as I liked what SW did for Aqualung, I just don't think I can go for PP.

I'd much rather see Steve Wilson do Benefit, Songs from the Wood or Minstrel in the Gallery.

10. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

Passion Play is amazing, it just starts off slow. The second half is possibly the best work Tull has has ever done!

11. Yardbird

Yardbird Forum Resident

I haven't listened to PP in decades. I'll give it a try based upon your recommendation.

12. Robobrewer

Robobrewer Forum Resident

I hope you enjoy it. I listen to Passion Play regularly as it is one of my absolute favorite Tull albums.:thumbsup:

13. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

I'm happy to see that I can get SW's remix of TAAB on vinyl. While some people complained about the 2-channel remix of Aqualung on CD, I thought the vinyl version sounded fantastic. Sure, the first UK lp of TAAB sounds great, but as far as I'm concerned everything SW touches turns to gold and I surely trust his sonic judgment.

I also would expect the 5.1 to be high res lossless as well, as is the case with most SW releases.

14. Steve O

Steve O Forum Resident

15. gabacabriel

gabacabriel Forum Resident

16. Sordel

Sordel Forum Resident

Looks like a holding price. If it's three discs and no Blu-Ray, they're going to have a hard time justifying a price higher than the King Crimson remasters.

17. rtsurroundfan

So what are the 3 discs? Here's my hope:

CD: 2012 Remix with Bonus Tracks
    DVD-V: DTS 96/24 and Dullbe 5.1, 2012 Remix, Original 1972 mix, and Bonus Tracks (at PCM 96/24)
    Blu-Ray: Same content above but DTS-HD MA and LPCM 5.1 surround :)

Here's how it will probably be laid out:
    CD1: 2012 Remix
    CD2: Bonus Tracks
    DVD-V: DTS 96/24 and Dullbe 5.1, 2012 Remix, Original 1972 mix, and Bonus Tracks (at PCM 96/24) :(

18. Steve O

Steve O Forum Resident

So who's gonna start the requisite write-in campaign? :D

19. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

Let me know how it goes. It really gets awesome after "The Hare Who Lost His Spectacles".

20. I doubt they will even try to justify the price based on the gouging that was Deluxe Aqualung. I don't recall any explanations then either. ELP and King Crimson are priced right imo (though neither are BRs).

21. rtsurroundfan

This new bit of information came from amazon.co.uk, and there's a few problems I have with it.

#1. It doesn't explain this
    Now I understand amazon doesn't always post the correct number of discs for a release, but is it 3 or is it 2? Is there a Blu-Ray or this all we're getting?
    #2 (and more importantly), the only bonus material they could give us is a Radio Ad?! JTull completists will be happy to see that it looks like we get the new and original mix on the DVD, but the 5.1's not looking like high-res yet. I just pray if all we're getting is DVD that EMI at least have the courtesy to make the DTS mixes 96/24...

22. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

radio ad?

Is this a joke or what? :shake:
    I'd like to have real bonus tracks

23. Robobrewer

Robobrewer Forum Resident

Yes it does. Everything seems to come together and get more intense.:righton:

24. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

Unlike with most Tull albums, I really don't think that there are any usable bonus tracks from this period. It's too bad that they couldn't find a decent sounding contemporary live recording. There's really no reason for this to be three discs unless maybe they're including Blu-Ray too.

25. Pockets17red

As I thought, Amazon has the incorrect amount of discs listed. I was confused by this since every other mail order website that has this up for pre-order has 2 discs listed.
    Another little tidbit....and I mean little, but here is the cover of the TAAB CD & Audio DVD "Special Collector's Edition."

[​IMG]

Also, 100 Page book!! :goodie:

Edit: Still trying to make the picture bigger so I can read what the text says. I will get back to you on that.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.