Jethro Tull's Thick As A Brick Stereo/5.1 remix will be released on October 15th.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Pockets17red, Jul 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

Discouraging to see there are still defective sets outs there :shake:
    It's as if EMI made no effort to withdraw stock, instead leaving it out there and hoping few customers would notice or care.
    Makes it hard to know who to buy from

2. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

Are they still offering replacements?

3. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese

Not sure... I tried using the EMI email address but the email bounced. I'll try a few more times after the weekend.

4. Blair G.

Blair G. Senior Member

I think that e-mail address died when EMI was purchased by WEA :(

5. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

Really. I never would have posted the link if I thought they didn't fix the things after a year. :realmad:

6. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

I sent Edgard my extra copy of the corrected DVD.

They sent me two by accident when I requested a replacement disc.

DonnyMe likes this.
  7. Edgard Varese

The Hud is aces. :agree: :thumbsup:

DonnyMe and The Hud like this.
  8. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

Good to know. You made me feel a little better. :righton:

The Hud likes this.
  9. jordevi

jordevi Forum Resident

If you purchased it through amazon, you could contact their customer service, and they might provide you with the current email address.

10. Edgard Varese

Thanks, I got it through Popmarket actually. Since another member kindly sent me his extra corrected copy I haven't really followed up on the issue.

11. Carserguev

Carserguev Forum Resident

I want to buy this thing too, finally... But I'm afraid. What are the chances I'd get a defective one?! I want to order from Importcds, who have it at the best price including shipping to Spain, but their customer service famously leaves a lot to be desired... How can i make sure I get a corrected copy? I see above that the email address to get one is dead...
    I just don't know what to do, I've been having so much trouble lately with defective stuff, it's very discouraging...

12. DonnyMe

DonnyMe Forum Resident

You can send Importscds an e-mail or call them and ask if they have the corrected version. I'd make sure to find out before having it shipped from where ever you purchase it.

13. Carserguev

Yeah, that's why I'm asking... Their helpful reply was something along the lines that they have millions of CDs in their warehouse, they are sealed and they don't do that kind of thing... That's what I meant by the above. I mean, their prices are hard to beat, their delivery time is quite good, but attention to detail, so to speak, is not their thing...

footlooseman likes this.
  14. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Pay by credit card and you will get very fast replies when and if you have a problem. Credit card companies don't like slow replies or no replies. They will refund your money instantly if a seller is not responsive to customer problems. It's all in their member contracts, and they take it seriously.

footlooseman likes this.
  15. Carserguev

You think so? (Thanks for your reply, of course). Would that apply to payment via Paypal? Or Amazon Marketplace? In that last cas, I'd have the additional protection of Amazon, no?

Last edited: Apr 30, 2014
  16. sparkydog

sparkydog Forum Resident

Here is an odd little story. I had already returned my defective version to Amazon and got a refund. I was unclear about what to do to get a correct version so I emailed EMI at [email protected] in January, 2013 with a general inquiry and a scan of the receipt. I explained that I had returned the set and asked how to get a corrected one. Here was the response:

Dear Sir

You have provided us with enough information to initiate your replacement
    process.
    Please allow 2-4 weeks for delivery of your items.
    Thank you for your patience as we try to correct this situation and again we
    apologize for any inconvenience this may have caused you.

EMI Quality Assurance

A couple of weeks later I received just the corrected DVD, no packaging or anything else (which was the only thing I really wanted!) Absolutely no complaints here!

17. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

got the same email and got the DVD so it does work-just takes a while.

18. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I think Amazon is a very easy way to deal online for the buyer, and would shop there (I often do).

footlooseman likes this.
  19. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

You should order from Burningshed if you want to be certain you are getting a good copy. Import has good prices, but are a lousy company.

footlooseman likes this.
  20. Carserguev

Thanks. In this case it would be impossible, because according to their site, the item is out of print forever, gone, gone gone...

I broke down and ordered it from Import via Amazon Marketplace... Knocking on wood is all I can do...

footlooseman likes this.
  21. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

That's 2013. In 2014 they have disappeared, along with the record company.

22. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

To keep from plodding through 13 pages...what was the glitch ? Please.

23. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

i'm at the point where i dont want to purchase from them anymore. the last few transactions i have had where items where were ordered and charged at time of purchase that were never shipped and i was actually notified where cancelled i was not given credit for and when i tried to contact them they NEVER RESPONDED!! i had to have the charges reversed by the card provider. never had to do that before.

24. sparkydog

sparkydog Forum Resident

First, Mike, I really think searching for a corrected copy is well worth your time and money. It's spectacular in surround. Just my 2ยข worth.

Generally squashed, loud, crappy sound, several odd sonic glitches and an irritatingly phase-y cymbal sound. Just loud compressed mastering. From various Amazon reviews:

I can't begin to comprehend why Peter Mew, the mastering "engineer," felt such a need to ruin Steve Wilson's mix by squashing the dynamics and boosting the high frequencies to such an extreme level...
    There is a production defect with the 5.1 DVD. At times 2:32, 2:48 & 3:03 of "Side 1" there is audio defect that is heard....
    The DVD has glitches, and when compared to the Mobile Fidelity gold CD, this re-mix's mastering sounds less dynamic with the drums somewhat buried and the cymbals have a harsh, unnatural, irritating quality which I find to be fatiguing. Ian Anderson's vocals have been brought forward and the treble boost that degrades the cymbals has added a bit of an unpleasant sharp edge to his voice. Warmth and deep bass are also nonexistent.

25. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Thanks, I'll stick with Steve's for half the album in stereo.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.