Jethro Tull ‘This Was’ Collectors Edition - June 10

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by The Panda, Mar 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. IIRC IORR

IIRC IORR Forum Resident

Try DeepDiscount ... they have it listed for $19.48 with free shipping

2. John D.

John D. Senior Member

Thanks, that price sounds a lot better :wave:

3. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

OK, I pre-ordered the one that they have at deepdiscount, but how do I know that it is the right one? There is absolutely no description of the item so there is no telling what item they are going to send.

4. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Just got mine yesterday! (with a "promotional copy" sticker on it! :eek:)

And... It sounds surprisingly good!

I haven't had the time to do critical listening, but I'm surprised at how it sounds. Very soft, not loud at all!

The jazzy feel of the album is even more conveyed on the new stereo mix. We hear more of the guitar, which is not a bad thing. The clarity is impeccable (of course considering this is a remix) and the separation is huge! I'm talking WIDE 60's stereo here!

And I swear I'm not even a Peter Mew fan. Far from it!

Great job on the packaging too.
    Great job overall.

:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

5. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

Does anybody know the answer to this?

6. Doctor Flang

Doctor Flang Forum Resident

I dig this new version, and i think Peter Mew did a good job with this one. My only complaint is that "Aeroplane" is not included, it may be because IA hates that one.

7. davmar77

davmar77 I'd rather be drummin'...

8. IIRC IORR

IIRC IORR Forum Resident

Please check the DeepDiscount site again and you will see that the added descriptive information is more than enough to identify the item as the one under discussion.

I've ordered from them frequently so I'm familiar with how they sometimes get their information up in piecemeal fashion, so for me the release date, title, and seeing it was 2 discs was initally enough for me to go on (never any problem cancelling or returning anyway). Now with the track listing added you can be sure it's the desired set.

9. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

Mine's "in the air" as we speak. Bought it via AmazonUK. Cheaper than the listed price on the site when you deduct the VAT sum. I always forget this! It knocks off a few bucks off any order from them. <if you're in the USA> :righton:

10. jsayers

I just recieved this from AmazonUK <great deal, took 4 whole days to get here from England!> and I concur with the Doctor: Peter Mew has done an excellent job here! Listening to the mono mix right now, I'd never heard it before. Beautiful package, lots of good liner notes from all members of the band, lp cover out-take and period photos, etc.

A no-brainer for Tull fans, imho. It's coming out in the US shortly, not sure if it's just being imported or pressed anew in the US, but I always like to get a cd from it's "country of orgin" if I can.
    Two thumbs up from me. And I haven't listened to the BBC tracks yet!

11. jsayers

Well, the BBC tracks nail it down. It's nice not to hear the announcer on the tracks we've heard on the early boxed set, and the others are a treat indeed. Very sweet.:righton:

12. mrbillswildride

mrbillswildride Internet Asylum Escapee 2010, 2012, 2014

Can't wait to get mine, due to arrive this week... :righton: Geof?:righton:

13. ZappaSG

ZappaSG New Member

How long is the BBC set?

My wife JUST bought me the remastered one in February. Sounds fantastic! If the BBC set is long enough and quality enough I'll buy. Otherwise no go. Does the BBC basically sound like This Was only live? I love this period of Tull. So different from everyone else at the time.

14. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant Thread Starter

7 or 8 songs, 2 are covers that are not on the album, which I really love. The shorter versions of Cuckoo and Cat's Squirrel are interesting, but I prefer the album versions. But yes, I believe the BBC versions sound like the album "only live".

15. jsayers

16. Doctor Flang

Doctor Flang Forum Resident

Listening to the drier sounding BBC material on this new edition, it's clear how much Ian Anderson and Robin Black tweaked them when compiling the "20 Years" box set. These drier versions, without the added echo and overly used comression sound a lot better. It also reminds me how horrible the same material sounded on the remastered "Aqualung"...

I hope they do something similiar with the "Stand Up" next year! And hey, it's only three years to the anniversary of "Aqualung"! :)

17. mrbillswildride

Having missed the band the first time these albums were released due to age, I'd be most happy to revisit the experience, with a yearly Tull release I know is gonna be great, and with goodies as well... We can only hope and dream...

cheers,
    :cheers:

18. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

And now for a completely different interpretation (someone else might have mentioned this one since I've only read some of the posts, though I have seen that several don't think it's "Santa") -- I always thought it was:

"Hey, sun's up. Pass us that bottle will ya?"

19. dcscott

dcscott Go have another cheeseburger, Randy

I just purchased this from Groove Records in London, On Canada for only 19.99CDN. Great deal. :D

20. mrbillswildride

This Was... A Killer Album...

Got mine yesterday, great packaging, we hope each albums gets this treatment as the 40th annies progress... looking forward to a good listen later today...:righton:

21. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

And now it's down to $20.99

Can't they make up their mind?

22. jsayers

It's coming out in the USA in a week or two....not sure if it will be manufactured here or just imported from Europe by the US distributor, like the Moody Blues DE's..

23. Electric

Electric The Medium is the Massage

I just got notice from DDDVD that this shipped. :righton:

24. jsayers

The Borders near me is carrying it this Tuesday for $24.99 list.

25. Taxman

Taxman Senior Member

Woo-hoo Borders just emailed me a 30% coupon.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.