Jethro Tull ‘This Was’ Collectors Edition - June 10

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by The Panda, Mar 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

He has not retired but probably has more administrative duties under the new regime at EMI.

2. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Cool news!

Although This Was is one of Tull's worst albums, I'm still gonna buy it!

3. cakeordeath

cakeordeath Forum Resident

As for the involvement of Peter Mew in the Fire And Water re-issue, here's what Amazon UK has to say:

Free's 3rd album was originally released in June 1970 and has now been expanded with 23 bonus tracks.

Disc One contains the original album digitally remastered by Peter Mew at Abbey Road plus 3 songs recorded in session for the BBC plus 4 songs recorded live for John Peel's Sunday Live in Concert programme for the BBC.

Disc Two gathers together 16 alternative versions of songs from the album including a previously unreleased version of Fire and Water and previously unreleased versions of All Right Now recorded for the video.

4. Jamison1955

Jamison1955 Forum Resident

One of my favorite Tull albums.

Were they ever known as the Jethro Tull Blues Band?

5. Devotional

Devotional Senior Member

This Was in MONO? Cool! "My Sunday Feeling" is one of my favourite Tull-songs! :cool:

6. PhilCohen

PhilCohen Forum Resident

No,but at one point they were known as "The John Evan Blues Band",but even then Ian Anderson was the front man.

7. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

:biglaugh:

Actually this could be really great! Looking forward to it.

8. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

Awesome! I wonder if the stereo is going to be the UK or US mix?

9. Lord Hawthorne

The mono mix is not radically different, but if you are familiar with the stereo mix, there are some things that stand out. There is reverb/light echo on Ian's vocals on some songs like "Beggar's Farm", and "Round", the short instrumental at the end of the album, has a second guitar mixed up front. The mono single mixes sometimes have radical differences from the stereo mixes done later for "living In The Past".

10. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant Thread Starter

I'm betting on the US.:shake:
    I have an ND of the UK 1st issue stereo that I ain't gonna part with.
    I don't know what Anderson had against the UK mix, but he certainly has succeeded in re-making history so that the majority of people who own the album think the US mix was the only mix. Maybe Mick A liked the original mix and Ian hated him so much in 1969, he decided to remix it just to p**s him off.

11. ManFromCouv

ManFromCouv Employee #3541

I have to say that this is an unexpected, very pleasant surprise. Easily Tull's best album, IMO. The BBC material should be incredible.

12. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

Song For Jeffrey in mono?

I'll bet it isn't as exciting as the stereo? Will sound a lot like the BBC cut?

13. Lord Hawthorne

You can almost understand all the words in the mono mix.

14. Henry Love

Henry Love Senior Member

Good news.I hope it's all we hope it will be.

15. Easily Tull's best album? Easily?:rolleyes:

16. peelmeanemma

peelmeanemma New Member

I was wondering about that! On the stereo album and the remixes on "Living In The Past" and one of the boxsets I always end up thinking "For heavens sake, whack up the vocals!" It is a fave of mine but the unintelligible vocal always bugged me.

Whilst this new set comes as a surprise, it doesn't as well. Tull always commemorate their anniversaries. The 20th with a boxset, the original line up reunited round the time of the 30th so how else could they celebrate the 40th?

17. Lord Hawthorne

Everyone's entitled to an opinion.

18. serj

serj Forum Resident

I will not buy this set if it mastered by Mew. After comparing his Queen remasters & original CD's i began to hate his mastering stile:(

19. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

Which songs are re-mixed on "Living in The Past" (apart from Teacher, which is the U.S. mix, IINM)?

I'm with a few others who've posted, in that -- while I'd love to hear a great MONO mastering of this album -- if Peter Mew is involved of the mastering, I think I'll just move on alone...

20. PhilCohen

PhilCohen Forum Resident

The non-L.P. singles & E.P. tracks were remixed for "Living in The Past".This was done so that they could appear in stereo.The original singles & E.P.'s were in mono sound.Some fans prefer "Sweet Dream" in its' mono single mix.

21. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant Thread Starter

Not me, but I'll take Witch's Promise in mono anyday.

22. I prefer the Stereo "Witches Promise" because the Mellotron has some room to breath in the mix.

23. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

Well a Tull fanatic I can't wait if for nothing else just to get all the BBC tracks. This Was is in the top three of my favorite Tull albums. I liked the more blues based direction that Mick Abrahams had the band going in.

Does anyone know if the US single version of A Song For Jeffrey is the same as the UK. I've never been able to find the UK single only the US.

24. If Abbey Road Studios handles the sound, the frequency extremes
    will certainly be jacked up, whichever engineer touches it.

No need to blame one individual, since they're ALL GUILTY.

25. mrbillswildride

mrbillswildride Internet Asylum Escapee 2010, 2012, 2014

Yeah, as a hard-core Tull fan, I'll probably buy this regardless of the sound on the remastered bits. To have it in MONO, and to have the extra tracks added to an already fantastic, early Tull album is just too much to pass up.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.