Jethro Tull ‘This Was’ Collectors Edition - June 10

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by The Panda, Mar 14, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. street legal

street legal Senior Member

I was just listening to the mono disc of this last night, & it got me to thinking .......

This was put out as a 40th Anniversary Edition. Wouldn't it stand to reason that they would give their other albums the same treatment? 2009 is coming to an end, & I've heard no news of a "Stand Up" 40th Anniversary Edition.

What's especially puzzling about this is that "This Was" is not even one of Jethro Tull's most popular albums. Far from it, in fact. The upcoming potential of 40th Anniversary releases for "Stand Up", "Benefit", & especially "Aqualung" would probably be even more profitable for EMI than "This Was" was, don't you think?

2. Tuco

Tuco Senior Member

I certainly agree that that is the popular opinion, but it is my favorite.

3. Larry L

Larry L Senior Member

I was listening to this last night. I love this collection. This album is so underrated.

4. street legal

street legal Senior Member

I don't know if it's my *favorite*, but it's certainly one of 'em! :thumbsup:

5. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

It sure would be nice if Ian Anderson was hearing about this from more people than just me. Go to the jethrotull.com site and send him an email.

6. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way

7. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

I pulled this out of the stacks the other night and listened to the entire mono disc #1. Not often I do that with anything! It's just so darn good.

I was also wondering if we will see DE's of the albums you mention - I would buy every one if they were done as nicely as "This Was".

8. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

So would I:cheers:

9. I just received this 40th Anniversary set. There is now no more slipcase in the UK/Europe as well.

I like how it sounds. The mono mix is good and is (in my opinion) a better mix than the stereo mix which is on my original German Chrysalis CD.

Volume levels are also quite similar, so it appears there is no or only very little compression on the new mastering.

The new stereo mix also seems to be more balanced than the old stereo mix, although I am not big fan of remixes and usually prefer the original mixes for historical reason.

I very often find Peter Mew's masterings too bright, but not in this case. Even the new stereo mix is a little less bright than the old Chrysalis CD.

Haven't checked for noise reduction yet but haven't noticed any during my first listen (but didn't crititically "look" for noise reduction artifacts).

10. Rolland, check out on one of the mixes of "Christmas Song" - can't remember which one since the CDs have long been returned to the national library - when the snare drum (march) comes in seconds late into the mix, after "Not what you think"... I don't believe no one has told me yet whether this is or not a genuine old single version mixing oddity, or somebody has fallen asleep at the faders...

On thing for sure is I hate it!!

11. Not sure I understand what you are saying. I hear the snare drum (march) on both versions (new stereo mix and original mono mix), but it is much more prominent on the original mono mix. Are you saying you do not like the snare drum in the mono mix or you are missing the snare drum (less pronounced) from the new stereo mix.

I have no problem with either version.

12. What I mean is in either one of the versions, the snare comes into the mix late, compared to let's say the old US "Living In The Past" CD or LP - I have never owned the "Love Story" single. The snare doesn't come in snap on the word "think".

Which discrepancy, on second thought, might also be the result of Ian Anderson's own remix of the track for the 1972 LitP album, the only version I was familiar with so far...

13. O.k., now I understand.

Yes, I think the track was remixed for the LITP album.

When you are used to the one version, I can see how this sounds weird. Otherwise, I think it is fine.

14. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way

http://jethrotull.proboards.com/post/60673/thread
    http://www.soundtechniquesmovie.com/about-the-film/
    [​IMG]
    http://www.soundtechniquesmovie.com/ian-anderson-this-was-jethro-tull-and-sound-techniques/
    [​IMG]
    NOVEMBER 5, 2015 / SOTECHMOVIE / PRODUCTION BLOG

THIS WAS IAN ANDERSON: JETHRO TULL AND SOUND TECHNIQUES

Ian Anderson, multi instrumentalist and leader of Jethro Tull invited directors Neil Innes and Nick Turner to his beautiful house to chat about the band’s first record This Was… The album’s title, Anderson confessed, was a sly nod towards the fact that they would never sound like this again, but those sessions for their debut at Sound Techniques with engineer Vic Gamm would teach the band how to capture the sounds they needed to move forward.

After the departure of guitarist Mick Abrahams Anderson would go on to take full control and create Stand Up, pushing the band more and more into the more progressive sound with which they are now synonymous. It’s for this reason that This Was… certainly stands out as a very different Jethro Tull album.

Anderson was kind, philosophical and in good spirits remembering his time there; His interview adding yet another level to the rich and complex history of Sound Techniques and to the The Parts You Don’t Hear. Currently Anderson is touring his Rock Opera on the life of Jethro Tull, the English agricultural inventor, from whom the band borrowed their name. You can check the world tour dates over here on the official Jethro Tull site.

Todd W. and Plan9 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.