Jethro Tull - Thick As A Brick 40th Anniversary Special Edition

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by joepepitone, Nov 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

2. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way

Thanks, rd1
    http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showpost.php?p=8224748&postcount=133
    there is a brief explanation in the TAAB credits, here goes;

A 96/24 DTS stream is essentially a 48k stream (to be backward compatible with all DTS decoders) with a 96kHZ extension able to be de-coded by the appropriate hardware/software decoders. All the flags (meta-data) are within the stream itself. Some Blu-ray players have what is called a True Master HD essential decoder that doesn't have the full compliment of de-coding options. This means that some players will show the audio specifications of the DTS 96/24 layer as 48kHz.

That's it, word for word.

3. bullygoat

bullygoat Forum Resident

Redbook Audio

Although I've been following this forum for long enough for my wallet to take a beating, this is my first post. There has been a lot of talk about the multichannel version of this release, but little on the redbook CD. This is the only part that I am interested in. I must say I was expecting a lot from this one. The response to Aqualung was very postitive, and Steven's Get All That You Deserve is amazing in every way. When the music started, I appreciated the clarity and the separation of the instruments. Unfortunately, that was it. The disc is bright, hot, tilted too much into the upper frequencies. This forum has me hooked on discs from the 80's, so my tolerence for this is low, but it still seems so obviously and horribly wrong. I don't want to listen to it. I'm actually trading it in to get rid of it. I may be wrong, but I suspect Mr. Wilson had nothing to do with this aspect of the release. My recommendation is to buy it only if you want the multichannel or the book. Otherwise stick with the original version or the MFSL gold disc.

4. Ed Hughes

Ed Hughes Senior Member

I just received my copy today. Was really excited to listen but I'm getting a little bummed reading about the overly bright mix:( I'll give it a spin later and see for myself.

5. calgary669

calgary669 Forum Resident

I'm holding out for the record, which is suppose to ship in about 3 weeks, I think, from Amazon.ca.

6. John76

John76 Forum Resident

I'm waiting for Amazon.ca to ship mine as well. I wonder what the holdup is? The original shipping estimate was Nov 6.

7. LeeVing

LeeVing Hyperactive!

I got my 2x LP set on Wednesday from Amazon.com. Not sure why .ca would be delayed.

The LP sounds great to me, but all I have to compare is the US CHR 1003.

8. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

Listening to the dvd 5.1 dts mix right now, it arrived today from Amazon.

I heard no glitches at 2:32, 2:48, or 3:03. Not sure about the cymbals sounding different from before, I'd have to listen to my MFSL or the redbook cd in this package to compare....I can tell you this, though : I like the surround mix a LOT!

Edit : Love the packaging and the book, too.

9. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

I have the copy on my hands !!!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Very first impressions:

Excellent packaging. The first 40 pages are the original newspaper, printed in a "newspaper" material. The other 60+ pages are in glossy colour. Really cool photos (most of them I never see before).

Discs are hold like the current 2 DVD sets out there.

Haven't heard the DVD (I do not have a 5.1 system).

I'll make a few comparisions with the 1997 25th Anniversary CD

I put the CD and ...

Volume is pretty similar. 1997 is even a little bit louder. This 40th anniversary CD definitely ISN'T BRIGHT. In fact, 1997 is BRIGHTER.

Acoustic guitars sound MUCH BETTER. Like real guitars this time. Voices and instruments have air, space between them. Mix doesn't sound "congested" or "crammed", unlike the 1997. Bass has body this time. Organ and flutes are wonderful!

... now the downside (I have to be honest)

DRUMS! what the hell happened with drums? they're really buried in the mix. For worse, on the first part there's an annoying "phasing" effect that is too prominent to my taste. On the second half, the drum solo is more prominent in the 1997 version. Couldn't believe it.

and ... I hear less dynamics this time

Overall I DO NOT THINK this could be the definitive version of TAAB :shake:

10. rushed again

rushed again Forum Resident

Sorry to be reading about brightness on the cd/dvd. Hopefully the vinyl has the edges rounded a bit.

11. abor1g

abor1g Forum Resident

he must have by now.
    there is big msg fom a girl on his facebook page asking for boycott of this dvd !!!!!!!! :shh:

12. I'm listening to the 96/24 PCM stereo remix on the DVD at the moment and it sounds bright (trebly) and loud to me. I wanted to turn the volume down almost immediately. And this has been remixed? Well bugger me if I can tell the difference between this and the original mix which I listened to on the Japanese Mini LP version (1997 remaster I think)last night!? First impressions - horrible. The mastering is another m***ilation. :thumbsdn: Nice packaging though!

13. ranasakawa

ranasakawa Forum Resident

My DVD sadly has the same issues at 2:32 etc up to 3:03
    What a real shame, I hope EMI can send us a replacement disc. I brought my box set in Australia this time because the price here was only a few dollars more than the UK and at least I can have it now rather than wait until December.

14. DPM

DPM Senior Member

If you think the stereo remix is bright then prepare thyself before venturing into surround territory.

I think the acoustic parts of the stereo remix are quite nice. The layering is more apparent. I'm actually looking forward to the high resolution flat transfer of the original master tape. This could actually be the jewel in the TAAB Spec. Collector's Ed. crown.

15. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

Unfortunately, I thought the same thing as well.:shake: I also compared the flat transfer to the MFSL and the sound is very close, perhaps the flat transfer has a slight edge in terms of clarity and presence. I have yet to listen to the 5.1 but have been reading the comments here about glitches which is quite unfortunate indeed.:(

JQ

16. Macman

Macman Senior Member

I much prefer the flat transfer to the stereo remix.

17. I like the stereo remix. If you like Barry Barlow's drumming and John Evan's keys you may find a lot to enjoy about this new mix. I can't say it blows away, or is even more enjoyable than the original mix, but it does make a nice alternative. I haven't listened to the 5.1 mix yet but hope to today. I have no interest in the flat transfer as I don't have an equalizer on my system allowing me to EQ to taste.

18. masterbucket

masterbucket Senior Member

+1:righton:
    The stereo remix is a nice sounding alternative to my MFSL.
    Definitely getting tired of paying top dollar for packages with audio defects etc over and over.:(

19. LeeS

LeeS Music Fan

I did not hear brightness on the CD. I will listen to the DVD soon.

20. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

CD isn't bright at all, at least compared with the 1997 remaster :wave:

21. nightenrock

nightenrock Forum Resident

Glitches aside, I'm very happy with this set. What a deal to get a CD of the stereo remix, a DTS 96/24 5.1 mix, a Dolby 5.1 mix, the stereo remix at 96/24 and a flat transfer of the original stereo mix at 96/24 for $26.

22. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

Hi all! :wave:

I did a full CD round today. Despite drums are mixed behind the rest of the instruments, the new mix blow the 1997 CD out of the water. And I can crank up this 40th anniversay way more than the 1997 CD.

I really hope someday soon TAAB will be on Audio Fidelity SACD :agree:

:cheers:

23. Bull Moose

Bull Moose Well-Known Member

I think we will have an answer about the 5.1 glitches next week. It's a little slower because the EMI/Universal merger is actually happening right now.

I reported the problem to my contact at Universal the other day and as of yesterday, they were checking a copy at the factory to determine if the entire pressing is bad.

Obviously, nobody wants them to send out replacement discs that contain the same defects.

I will report back when I hear what they are going to do.

24. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

I haven't played my TAAB box yet.

Boy I'm glad I have the MFSL gold CD.

25. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way

I'm happy enough with the stereo versions. Less bright would be my choice on the remixed stereo.
    & Yeah, I guess it's OK if it's missing from a remix. However, that final "yeah" should not be missing from the original stereo flat transfer. That's wrong!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.