Jethro Tull Studio Works

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tootull, Jul 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Stand Up
    Benefit
    Aqualung
    ...my three favorites!

2. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

Benefit
    Stand Up & Aqualung (tie)
    Thick as a Brick
    Minstrel in the Gallery
    Living in the Past
    This Was
    Stormwatch
    Broadsword and the Beast

Have seen Ian & Co. live about 10 times, going back as far as the Thick as a Brick tour. They were the greatest live band I ever saw, just nudging The Who, Hendrix, The Kinks (on their best nights -- seen 'em not so good, too), Grateful Dead (ditto previous comment), etc.

I've seen there are lots of A Passion Play fans on this Forum -- I was about the world's biggest Tull fan when it came out, bought it the day of release, and probably have never been so disappointed in an album ever. :shake: I still think it's pretty mediocre, though there is a great 8-minute or so segment on it... let the flaming begin!

3. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way Thread Starter

I have seen Tull on every tour, (from TAAB on) sometimes several times on a tour, and I have seen almost every major act from the 70s (in the 70s) Pink Floyd, Yes, EL&P, Wings, Guess Who, John Kay&Steppenwolf, T.Rex, Alice Cooper, Chicago, Neil Young,CSN&Y, Supertramp & more. All great concerts! No doubt!
    The best live act in the seventies was Jethro Tull. :thumbsup:
    A Passion Play I Love
    As for A Passion Play the listener may not be in for the music but rather for the view of death being a good thing! Which I believe (OH taboo), and why I still listen after all these years! Strange as it may seem I consider A Passion Play, Thick As A Brick, DSOTM, Wish You Were Here, Crime Of The Century, A Question Of Balance, & Close To The Edge to be companion pieces! yours truly toottoot

4. grbl

grbl Just Lurking

I can't rank them that precisely. I would probably put them in the following buckest:

Excellent:
    Songs From the Wood
    Benefit
    Minstrel in the Gallery
    Stand Up
    Living in the Past
    Heavy Horses
    Thick as a Brick
    Bursting Out

Very Good:
    Aqualung
    Stormwatch
    Warchild

Good:
    A
    This Was
    Too Old to Rock 'n' Roll
    A Little Light Music
    The Jethro Tull Christmas Album

Not Bad:
    Broadsword

Not Worth Getting:
    Catfish Rising
    Crest of a Knave
    Rock Island
    Roots to Branches
    Dot Com
    Under Wraps

5. tootull

:cry: Poor Under Wraps so misunderstood too many fake drums, if only we could look beyond this fact I believe a treasure lies here! Great remaster for me!
    Broadsword is dynamite consider the bonus tracks on the remaster for a further listen!
    Crest is not one I will defend someone else maybe!
    Catfish is a return to blues roots according to Rolling Stone mag(crap I gotta change the batteries in my keyboard).
    Rock Island always seems to get slammed but it is a constant listen for me except for Big Riff And Mando!
    Roots well you have to rock to the beat of India man! a good thing if you're open to it! I certainly love Roots avatar and all!
    Dot Com wipe out Hot Mango Flush & Mango Surprise and I call this a winner combined with The Secret Language Of Birds Ian's solo and I think this is a major work in the arsenal of the Tull spirit!
    Like I've said I love them all (I don't worship Ian Anderson) :laugh:

6. grbl

grbl Just Lurking

It does have great bonus tracks, though I had them all before on the 20th Anniversary box set (nice to have them remastered though).

7. tootull

with Broadsword - Motoreyes should have been included I'm still :realmad:
    I added it to my CDR but I would have preferred that it appeared on the official release!
    :cheers:

8. Mike B

Mike B Forum Resident

I want to get Brick on vinyl, if just for the liner notes!

9. MITBeta

MITBeta New Member

I'll defend Crest. It was my first Tull album and still has a soft spot in my heart. Budapest is one of my favorite songs, and Part of the Machine, which is in the same style is my single favorite tull song.

I do have to agree with the rest of your post. Every Tull album is unique and that's what makes them all so great.

10. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

Currently on my IPOD i have the DCC Tull albums Aqualung/ War Child/ and selections from the DCC version of Original Masters.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.