Jethro Tull - Stand Up 40th Anniversary release?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Warchild, Oct 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

True, I believe Rees said that the abridged "17" was all Anderson could bear to let them put on the 20 Years set.

2. Doctor Flang

Doctor Flang Forum Resident

I just don't get it. I guess for the same reason Aeroplane was omitted from This Was Deluxe. :mad:

BTW the version of 17 on the box set was a needledrop, right? But was the version released on the remaster the same needledrop with lot's of NR or was it taken from a different source?

3. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

So we know it is NOT a remix, just a remaster?

That would be great. Thank you.

4. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

I would agree, which means no mono Witch's Promise/The Teacher on cd.:sigh:

5. Doctor Flang

True. Another good question is how much unreleased material there is? At least they did record the first version of My God. But is there any BBC sessions or proper live recordings from that period?

6. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

If they did "This Was" which is a half-baked obscure Tull release why would they not do "Benefit" which is a masterpeice?

7. Doctor Flang

Or why would they (EMI)? ;)

I just find it strange that the Carnegie Hall gig from the Benefit tour is released as part of the Stand Up Collector's Edition (They could have released the Stockholm '69 gig on Stand Up and save Carnegie Hall for Benefit.) .

But how much unreleased material there is from the Benefit era?

8. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

exactly. 1 single
    and no BBC, to my knowledge.

9. DaveJ

DaveJ Senior Member

If there's no complete 17 I won't be handing over any more £££ for Tull reissues; I've waited long enough.

10. mikew

mikew Forum Resident

At least they did record the first version of My God. But is there any BBC sessions or proper live recordings from that period?[/QUOTE]

What is the first version of My God?:confused:

11. Warchild

Warchild Forum Resident Thread Starter

In June 1970 Tull were in Moragn Studios (I think) and recorded 'Just Trying To Be', 'Wond'ring Aloud' (re-titled as Wond'ring Again on LITP) and an early version of 'My God' all with Glenn Cornick.

We can assume that these were the first sessions for the next album after Benefit or possibly a single or EP release but nothing came of them. I know 'My God' was recorded during these sessions as Ian mentions this during one of the summer 1970 concerts that I have on a bootleg somewhere.
    Who knows if the tape still exists? These tracks really belong on an Aqualung special edition though. Now that IS more likely to happen than a Benefit special ed.

12. Electric

Electric The Medium is the Massage

I hope not. My Tull interest is in their first 3. :wave:

13. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

I'd like to hear that version of "My God." Those other two tracks are absolutely magical recordings. Tull home-runs both of them!

14. mikew

mikew Forum Resident

15. Warchild

16. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

Maybe it's been noted already but that Carnegie Hall set has been released on the 25th annivesary box set without 5.1! Couldn't they find another show? :(

17. Doctor Flang

Somebody correct me if i'm wrong, but aside from the 1970 Carnegie Hall concert, Tull didn't bothered to record their shows (on multitrack) too much. A gig in Paris in 1975 was filmed and recorded for a possible concert film, but ultimately shelved. Three European '78 shows were recorded on 8-track for Bursting Out. Of course, it might be that there are seperate multitrack recordings done of the shows that were filmed for broadcastings.

I hate being pessimistic, but Tanglewood recording is not owned by Anderson, therefore we will not see it being released on CD. :(

18. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

Ian didn't own the Isle Of Wight show either, but they made a deal.

19. There is some great 1976 material on YouTube that appears to be a live complete rendition of the album "To Old To Rock and Roll, Too Young To Die". Video and sound was good-excellent. I would love to see this released.

20. Doctor Flang

True. But it was put together by Eagle (who has been releasing other IOW recordings too), with Ian Anderson having very little to do with it. Let alone EMI...

Tanglewood might be a bit more complicated case, i believe.

21. Lord Hawthorne

The 1969 Swedish shows are the ones that need a legitimate release.

22. Doctor Flang

:righton: 110% agree. Maybe that could be added on Benefit Deluxe... :D

23. Warchild

Some news from EMI:

The version of '17' is the complete 6:09 original mono mix. Due to the running time of disc 1 being 76:30 the mono mixes of 'Driving Song' and 'Sweet Dream' were not included but ....."there is a possible project for next year which may well see their inclusion".

Release date in the UK is 27th September.

24. Doctor Flang

:righton::righton::righton:

Thanks Warchild!

25. Lord Hawthorne

Great. Please let it not be drenched in reverb like the "20 Years" box set.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.