Jethro Tull quality album streak

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Robobrewer, Jun 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MRT

MRT Forum Resident

i dont have any of the remasters, yet. but i am certainly interested now after this thread and reading a few others.

i own either the original US CD's, various LP versions and a few casettes.

i only have Stormwatch on tape and ive been meaning to purchase a CD copy for like decades now. i have the remaster of that and Broadsword in my Amazon wishlist now (they are both damn cheap too). im going to buy them asap.

2. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident

Go get em :D
    Warchild is the best remaster ever released I'm sure. The bonus tracks make some of the original tracks sound like the outtakes :cool:
    I'd wait for Aqualung 40th anniversary remaster. It'll have a lot of gems that the old remaster doesn't have

3. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion

David Bowie obviously ;-)

The Man who sold the world
    Hunky Dory
    Ziggy
    Aladdin Sane
    Pin Ups
    Diamond Dogs
    Young Americans
    Station to Station
    Low
    "Heroes"
    Lodger
    Scary Monsters
    Let's Dance

Tim

4. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way

Recommended!
    :shh: ? Recorded in the dressing room (Zurich). Originally found on the Another Christmas Song CD single. Sparse versions of Intro/A Christmas Song - Cheap Day Return/Mother Goose - Outro/Locomotive Breath. With a beefier sound on the Rock Island remaster. I prefer the sound of the original single TULLCD 5.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. tootull

:laugh: Ian Anderson definitely says "tapes".

6. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

All n All, there is nothing wrong with the Tull re-masters except for Aqualung in my humble opinion. A lot of good bonus tracks as some have mentioned. Maybe I haven't read all of this thread but not much seems to have been said about Nightcap which is great and also Tull's Christmas album which has some nice instrumental Christmas tunes along with other good stuff. Now I also know that they wouldn't be considered part of the "run" but good nonetheless for those who might be interested.

7. tootull

Todd W.,

I've read enough posts around the web that match this. You are certainly not alone, looks like a crowd to me.
    No worries, Nightcap is played a lot. Easy to get drunk on that one. haha
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. hurple

hurple Forum Resident

I like Stormwatch, it's a great album. That said, I also find it exceedingly boring. I have to be in a certain frame of mind to want to hear it. And, to me, that's part of what makes it good.

ANd the 4 album run of Stand Up, Benefit, Aqualung and Thick As A Brick is one of the great album runs in rock history. Each one built upon what came before but still continued the musical themes that was Jethro Tull.

Seriously, after that what more could they do? Unfortunately, what they chose was Thick As A Brick turned up to 11 (which was Passion Play) which was the wrong direction IMHO. They got back on track with Songs From The Wood, but then went back and turned that folksy thing from that album up too high for Heavy Horses (and I HATE HATE HATE the song Heavy Horses... it's horrid).

That's also pretty much how the rest of their career went... Get newBand members, find the new sound, alter the songwriting to fit the new sound, turn up the strengths for the next album, rinse, repeat.

9. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

However you rate the Tull catalog as a whole, there's one thing I think is criminally overlooked. Ian Anderson is a helluva good acoustic guitar player. He just doesn't get much recognition for his playing.

10. hurple

hurple Forum Resident

He's a helluva good player on whatever instrument he picks up. So seems to be Martin Barre. With them at the core of the band, Tull has been nothing, if not interesting.

11. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Yes. I'm taking about remaster sound quality.

12. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident

These tapes must be from the late 80s I guess? :cool:

13. Joefarrell

Joefarrell Forum Resident

I have not read the whole thread but has Mick Abraham's (guitarist on This Was) Blodwyn Pig band come up? Ahead Rings Out (first album right after he split from Tull) was an extraordinary album - great guitar playing, varied stuff from jazzy blues to screamin' blues-rock with a Zappaeque twist to Jorma-like acoustic stuff to a great slide blues called Dear Jill (woth the price of admission). Wonderful sax player too! I have an old LP (just VG shape so I gotta tolerate the noise). I picked up the CD too (makes me long for a mint LP). This was a brown A&M in the US and a pink Island in the UK.

14. tootull

15. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Fantastic album. But if I remember correctly, there was some discrepancy and the track order with the first CD release of this. I think it was corrected with the later remaster?

16. mttbsh

mttbsh Member

What was it about that TAAB tour?

I had seen the Aqualung tour the year before and become an instant fan. June 11th, 1972 I saw the band in the same venue, the Seattle Center Coliseum. It was a very unusual night to begin with as I had taken a pretty strong dose of LSD, there was a terrific electrical storm, and there was confusion over my ticket/seat so I was separated from my friends during the opening act "the Eagles" but ended up in an excellent elevated seat very near stage left.

From the moment Tull hit the stage - as has been mentioned - as London Fog clad roadies testing the gear I was mezmerized. They were "on" like no band I've ever seen - incindiary power and virtuosity - it really was as if I'd stepped into some alternate "Alice in Wonderland" universe where a Non Rabbit announced a weather report, band members swapped clothes in a beach tent, a frogman answered a Tullaphone, Barrie's hilarious ever-faster "tiangle" battle with an offstage echo before the whole band came out madly playing their own triangles in strobe lights. And all of these stage antics were cleverly weaved into themes of the pieces they played - Thick as a Brick and music from Stand up and Aqualung. Tull rocked harder than any band I have ever seen that night, absolutely brilliant, Ian diving across the stage and conducting the band with his flute, Martin Barre played some guitar riffs that were beyond the stratosphere, and there the clown John Evans was on his knees before him begging Martin to summon even higher notes from his wailing electric guitar.

To a tripping 16 year old kid this sensual overload was the most extraordinary and magical experience of my life. I still look back on it as being one of the great nights of my life, certainly my best concert experience.

I loved the Passion Play, Minstrel and Songs From The Wood tours but for me Tull hit their musical and performance peak that stormy night in Seattle, it was pure genius and I'll never forget it.

I have to say I love reading how so many others also look back on the TAAB tour as their favorite concert of all time too.

Cheers,
    Matt

Matt

Geir likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.