Jethro Tull original Chrysalis CD's

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by street legal, Apr 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. onlyconnect

onlyconnect The prose and the passion

Many thanks, downloading now.

Tim

2. grbl

grbl Just Lurking

That could explain the differing views on this. I had the U.S. Chrysalis cd, which sounded pretty bad, IMO. I've never heard the U.K. version.

3. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

I have an old mini-box set called "The Originals". It comes from the UK and has the first 3 Tull albums. "This Was" sounds very good from this release.

4. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

You said it all. I bought one and took it back and didn't buy anymore Tull until MOFI and DCC put some out.

5. Plexihead

Plexihead Well-Known Member

Found this info searching the net, just thought it might be relevant as I gather the preferred "Benefit" version on cd would be the US VK (although an F2 is said to be the same). Going by the below the VK was the first cd release, predating the UK version by a year and a half. Not sure how correct the info is of course (not including the remaster releases of course).

Jethro Tull - Benefit

Releases :

Benefit (LP)
    UK & Foreinger : Island ILPS 9123, May 1, 1970
    U.S. : Reprise RS 6400, April 20, 1970

Benefit (LP; Reprint)
    UK & Foreinger : Chrysalis CHR 1043, August 1, 1973
    U.S. : Chrysalis CHR 1043, July 23, 1973

Benefit (LP; Reprint)
    U.S. : Chrysalis FV 9357, July 4, 1983

Benefit (CD)
    UK & Foreinger : Chrysalis CPCD 1043, June 12, 1987
    U.S. : Chrysalis VK 41043, November 18, 1985

Benefit (CD; Reprint)
    UK & Foreinger : Chrysalis / EMI CCD 1043, March 23, 1992
    U.S. : Chrysalis / EMI F2 21043, March 24, 1992

Benefit (CD; Reprint)
    U.S. : Chrysalis / EMI F2 21043, September 14, 1999

6. Dr. Merkwürdigli

Dr. Merkwürdigli Active Member

Thank you very much for sharing these samples. I finally got to listening to them.

First. What you call the "secret" remaster is the same as my original made in West Germany Ariola disc with catalogue number 610016-222.

Second. Based on these samples I must admit I don't understand the fuzz about the DCC beeing superior. The difference between these samples are very minor. I am not even sure I can tell them apart in a blind test. Maybe the differences are clearer on the other tracks. Anyway, I don't think you will see me fighting over the DCC in a ebay auction near you. Based on these clips I am perfectly happy with the cd I already have.

Thanks again for sharing these samples.

7. Just a small update on the original CD versions (UK vs. US vs. Germany).

It seems like the Jethro Tull catalog is another one of those very complex situations with many many different masterings even before the remasters came out.

It seems that many of the early Chrysalis CD's from Germany have a different mastering than the early US and UK versions.

The following German Chrysalis CD's have a unique mastering:

This Was (I do like the German Chrysalis)
    Stand Up (I like the MFSL best and then the US Chrysalis)
    Aqualung (I have a very early Japan for Germany CD and it sounds very nice and warm)
    A Passion Play (again, UK and German Chrysalis are different - not sure which one I prefer)
    Too Old to... (I do like the German Chrysalis)

It seems like it will take quite a bit of time to determine my favorite version for each album.

8. ricks

ricks Senior Member

With the exception of Thick As A Brick, I've pretty much a greatest hits Tull listener/fan. I've had my copy of MU (Chrysalis VK41078 DIDX 403 made in US) for nearly 20 years and "The Anniversary Collection" (Chrysalis 0946 3 26001 2 7 Holland) import I picked up almost 10 years ago. I always though MU sounded OK but was lacking in clarity and depth while Anniversary sounded a little better overall. I've attached waveforms of Skating Away from both versions. The waveform from Anniversary shows no signs of compression, at least to my non-expert eyes. Which brings me to 2 questions:
    1, how can I tell if noise reduction has been applied?
    2, whats the consensus on the best sounding Tull greatest hits type collection.

Thanks ,
    RL

Top Wavefrom MU , bottom Anniversary

Attached Files:

9. street legal

street legal Senior Member Thread Starter

DCC "Original Masters", no question about it.

10. shokhead

shokhead Head shok and you still don't what it is. HA!

And if you dont have 150 bucks?{and thats a deal}

11. rhkwon

rhkwon Forum Resident

Bad, very bad. Stay away.

12. ricks

ricks Senior Member

The DCC sounds great, but I'm just not enough of a Tull fan to go $150+ . I was hoping to find some thing in the under $50 range
    RL

13. street legal

street legal Senior Member Thread Starter

OK, how about something in the $5 - $10 range, then! :D

Seriously, the original Chrysalis CD of "Living in the Past" sounds very, very good, & compares quite favorably with the MFSL, IMO. In fact, certain songs sound better to me on the Chrysalis than the MFSL.

14. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

I like the orig. Chrysalis CD's; I still have Stand Up, and I replaced my Benefit with the remaster, I hated the added treble. So I got another copy of the original. I also prefer the original to the Aqualung special remaster that's been NoNoised to death.

Front 242 Addict likes this.
  15. Bjorn, what is the total time of your Aqualung disc?

16. Dr. Merkwürdigli

Dr. Merkwürdigli Active Member

This is information from EAC regarding 610 016-222 Printed in Western Germany by Topac:

Attached Files:

17. Thanks. Looks the same to me as my JVC Japan pressing as shown in the matrix info (for Germany) with the same catalog number.

18. cartologist

cartologist Just the son of an Iowa girl

I bought M.U. in 1976 (and which I always called "Magic User" :laugh:). When the CD age came along I got Original Masters (1985) but dumped that for a used copy of M.U., being used to the way it sounded. (I have tried to like Aqualung, but the pastoral side of prog never grabbed me the way the classical gas side did.)

so my version of UK Chrysalis M.U.'s "Skating Away."

Chrysalis ACCD 1078 / CDP 3210782
    321078 2:5:11 EMI SWINDON

Filename E:\Ripped\Jethro Tull - M.U.- The Best of Jethro Tull - 09 - Skating Away (On the Thin Ice of the New Day).wav

Peak level 57.9 %
    Track quality 100.0 %
    Copy CRC D5EDAF7D
    Copy OK

19. LouReed9

LouReed9 Village Idiot

I have an original Chrysalis Aqualung. May be the very worst sounding disc I ever bought. Regardless of what some others might say. Maybe I'm just a troll.:shrug:

20. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

I have also an early Aqualung (VK 41044 DIDX 68/Digital Audio Disc Corp.) and the DCC. The Chrysalis is not as bad as people make it to be. I am mostly offended by the missing riff at the beginning of Aqualung and the missing end of Wind-up.

But honestly the Chrysalis sounds very similar to the old LP that I used to have.

The DCC is really good, but in any case the album is not sonic nirvana.

21. Andrew T.

Andrew T. Out of the Vein

I'm reminded of this thread I posted years ago. Bottom line: Not all "original" Aqualung CDs clip off the ends of "Aqualung" and "Wind-Up," and they don't sound as horrible as they're sometimes made out to be. :)

22. peelmeanemma

peelmeanemma New Member

Since this thread has popped up out the blue, I wanted to say that I have the original CD of "Living In The Past" and it's the worst sounding CD in my collection. At the end of every track there's at least 5 seconds of what I presume is tape noise - "silence" would be pushing it since the noise is so noticeable. I was deeply disappointed with it and in fact put me off investigating Tull's catalogue for many years.

23. LouReed9

LouReed9 Village Idiot

Bingo! Must have used a cassette tape as the "MASTER". It sounds like crap, if I may be so bold!

24. LouReed9

LouReed9 Village Idiot

Agreed! My LP sounded like crap too.:winkgrin:

25. peelmeanemma

peelmeanemma New Member

You hit the nail on the head there because I did wonder if it was a cassette tape since I was familiar with that type of tape noise when you switched off the Dolby. Whatever the heck was used, it's utterly abysmal.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.