Jethro Tull original Chrysalis CD's

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by street legal, Apr 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LouReed9

LouReed9 Village Idiot

Just what I was looking for. Thank's:righton:

2. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way

I like the remasters of Heavy Horses & Stormwatch. (pushing the limits)
    :shh: I still listen to the vinyl of these two, too. The Canadian vinyl certainly has the best mastering of all.

3. TMan

TMan Forum Resident

Thanks. I did see that in my search. Have you compared the HH remaster with any of the original versions?

4. Yes. As stated in my thread, I am not a big fan of the Tull remasters. Some are o.k. (e.g. This Was), but in no case do I prefer the remaster over the best pre-remaster version.

The albums from the second half of the seventies sound way too bright to me on the remasters.

5. tootull

Yes, understandable.
    Too bright is the plague.

6. TMan

TMan Forum Resident

But... you prefer the remaster for HH and Stormwatch, right? (among others)

7. tootull

...for me, Yes!

8. flashgordon

flashgordon New Member

I can't understand why most of the members here treat original Chrysalis CDs like dirt. I'm quite happy with the unremastered JT's i've got. The only exception is UK Stand Up. I really hate that tremble :mad:
    US BMG Club's Benefit, UK Living in The Past, Stormwatch and especially A sound very nice :thumbsup:
    I found the sound of the latter two very close to vynil.
    Dunno. Maybe UK and US Chrysalis Tull's sound so much different...:confused:

9. tootull

All my best in sound...

This Was - Remaster
    Stand Up - MFSL UD
    Benefit - Originals box
    Aqualung - UK CD
    Living In The Past - MFSL UD II
    Thick As A Brick - MFSL UD
    A Passion Play - MFSL UD II
    WarChild - MFSL UD II - UK CD is OK but the MoFi is super.
    Minstrel In The Gallery - Made in Japan for UK Chrysalis
    Too Old To Rock 'N' Roll - UK Chrysalis
    Songs From The Wood - MFSL UD II
    Heavy Horses - Remaster
    Stormwatch - Remaster
    A - Remaster
    The Broadsword And The Beast - Made in W. Germany for UK Chrysalis
    Under Wraps - Made in W. Germany for UK Chrysalis
    Crest Of A Knave - Remaster
    Rock Island - Remaster or original CD
    Catfish Rising - Original CD
    Roots To Branches - Original CD

Rukiki likes this.
  10. TMan

TMan Forum Resident

I've been picking up some Tull CDs lately (mostly Chrysalis due to this thread) and was about to get War Child (is it two words or one, BtW?) when I saw on amazon someone mention that the original Chrysalis CD cut out acoustic snippets between songs that were on the original LP.

Is this true? (If so, surprised it wasn't mentioned in this thread). If it is true, does the original UK cut them out too? How about the remaster?

11. audiospirit

audiospirit Active Member

Actually here is many variations of "Original Chrysalis cds" with sometimes very different masterings:

W.Germany
    W.Germany for UK
    UK
    USA
    Canada

For example Aqualung on "WG for UK" has totally different mastering compare with just WG Aqualung (last has much better sound).

12. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

...the UK CCD-1044 for UK Aqualung mastered by Nimbus sounds excellent! much better than the US versions...

13. Juan Samus

Juan Samus New Member

I don't like the "originals" box. It's been NR'd with a primitive form of NR that eats away at the sound and pumps in and out. The remaster, which is also NR'd, is done much better and sounds smoother. It still doesn't sound right though. I have yet to explore the various US pressings. I'm not really happy with anything I've heard so far.

14. TMan

TMan Forum Resident

OK. Can anyone confirm whether the aforementioned War Child acoustic snippets are preserved in any of these versions (or any versions other than the MoFi)?

15. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

I don't recall any acoustic snippets on any version I've heard on cd or lp.

16. RussellG

RussellG Forum Resident

Aqualung CD's other than the DCC are a digital minefield. I've got two replacements for the no-noised to death '96 remaster:

US pressing F2 21044 DIDY 68
    Australian pressing CDCHR 321044 (on the spine) / CDP32 1044-2 (on the CD)

I like the latter better, and suspect it might be the same mastering as UK CCD-1044. It would be nice to confirm though. Michael, does your CD NOT have the very start and end of the album chopped off, and does it sound like the opening guitar riffs are heavily no-noised, but most of the album sounds minimally no-noised? Indeed the second half of the album has lots of hiss on my Aus pressing. However this CD has "EMI SWINDON" in the matrix area, not Nimbus :confused:

The Aus pressing is not bad, but I'm adding more pennies to my piggybank for the DCC every week :)

17. TMan

TMan Forum Resident

Interesting. Maybe this guy on amazon is confused? (wouldn't be the first time, that's for sure)

"This gold CD remaster of Jethro Tull's Warchild album is another first rate production from the folks at MoFi. They've retained the small acoustic introductions from the LP that my Chrysalis CD omitted. Excellent!"

18. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

I think the seller may mean the rattling of tea cups and talking at the table before going to work. AFAIK these were on all versions of Warchild. I don't remember any extra ones on the MoFi - I do remember the very poorly printed cover however. The sound was great though.

19. darkmatter

darkmatter Gort Astronomer Staff

Is this the case for every "just WG" early pressing bettering its WG for UK counterpart?

Simon

20. audiospirit

I saw 2 pressings WG for UK (may be more existed): Aqualung & Broadsword and the beast.In first case simple WG was clear winner,for second case I will do comparison this weekend since both WG for UK & WG is at my appartment now.

21. audiospirit

Than I will highly recommend for you to get 610016 Ariola pressing.BTW my CCD1044 was Made by Polygram,may be first Aqualung cd released ever (for this reason whatever of sound,it has good collectors value).Nimbus cd comes later and your copy even with same number CCD1044 may have different mastering.

22. Curiosity

Curiosity Just A Boy

In general I found the CP32 - Chrysalis CD's to be very similar sounding to the Nimbus pressed editions that retained the original CDL/CCD prefixes. Those came out around the early 1990's from memory.

23. audiospirit

First Aqualung cd was released in 1982 or 83 by W.Germany Polygram plant for UK.It has no country stated,but matrix number & cd design points to WG Polygram factory .I have no idea if Nimbus mastering same with this one.May Roland knows.

24. tootull

25. TMan

TMan Forum Resident

Thanks! So I can assume the US Chrysalis also has the shorter intro?

Also, in that thread you wrote:

"The original UK CD is the same as the LP version - MFSL WarChild restores the longer version - it is also restored on the remaster. Sugar, sugar, the sound of sugar."

So the original LP used the short version? Are the MFSL and remaster the only releases where the longer version was used? (not that it matters that much, but now I'm curious).

How is the sound of the War Child remaster compared to the US and/or UK Chrysalis, btw?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.