Jethro Tull original Chrysalis CD's

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by street legal, Apr 26, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. street legal

street legal Senior Member Thread Starter

How is the sound on the orignal Jethro Tull Chrysalis CD's?
    I did some searching in the archives, but mostly found discussion on the remastered CD's, which I already own most of, except for
    "Aqualung", which I have on the original Chrysalis CD. I'm just wondering if the older CD's are less messed with sonically, as I am
    finding to be the case more & more lately. I know that the MFSL's are highly regarded, but I just don't have that kind of money to dump on them right now. Thanks for any help!

2. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

Let's just say that they are an aquired taste.

3. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

I hate the sound on those old Chysalys CDs. They sound tinny and faint with no bass.

Jerquee likes this.
  4. grbl

grbl Just Lurking

IMO they're all bad. They sound thin, tinny, and digital. No warmth, no presence.

5. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way

Agree for the most part- Benefit & Stormwatch are the worst - Too Old To Rock UK is OK
    Minstrel-Made In Japan is the best. Broadsword West Germany is good. Stand Up USA was the best US release.

Avoid-Thick As A Brick&Aqualung There WAS a difference between every USA CD that I compared to an import.

One curiosity - Living In The Past USA out classes the Canadian release. However the MFSL is another step way up! :D

6. Elegy

Elegy Forum Resident

I just gave them all away, that is, all the ones up to and including Crest Of A Knave.

I have all the remasters (including the Japanese versions from EMI/Toshiba) and the MFSL and DCC ceedees. I didn't need those original Chrysalis' taking up valuable space any longer.

7. street legal

Wow. I must say that I am surprised at all of the responses so far. I guess I'll stick with the remasters that I have. Sounds like the Chrysalis original CD's for the Tull catalog is an instance where going back to the older issued CD's is NOT going to give you a sonic upgrade. I'm glad I asked, & thanks very much for the responses so far, gentlemen. Yet again, you guys have saved me the money & effort of seeking out CD's that it looks like I don't really need. Thanks again!

8. tootull

Said it before and I'll say it again: :shh:

Digital Audio mag. was kind in its reviews of CD sonics IMO - Wayne Green mentioned Tull as one of the CD catalog's that needed a major overhaul.

MLutthans likes this.
  9. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

If you see the Chrysalis CD release of "Living in the Past" grab it! It omits two tracks but sounds very good.

10. tootull

But avoid it if it's Canadian. :)

11. street legal

It's funny that you say that. I actually just received this very disc a couple of days ago. I bought it from a forum member here on the classifieds, & for a GREAT price! Thanks again, James!

12. reb

reb Money Beats Soul

These two Chrysalis discs, on my system, sound good. Not lacking in bass, nor harsh/bright. The only two early tull discs I kept.

"M.U."- Best Of
    Repeat- Best of Vol. 11

Have no idea why, others may have another opinion. I'd pick em up, if you can find them.

13. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

Someone here recently said they prefered the Chrysalis Benefit to the remaster. I think the remaster blows it away. It's a shame that it was never given the "special treatment" that lesser Tull cds were given.

14. tootull

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=76236

15. Elegy

Elegy Forum Resident

I kept those also and Living In The Past although the MFSL is far superior.

I distinctly remember reading that a forum member has those (M.U. and Repeat and possibly LITP) in a remastered version although I don't recall ever seeing them issued that way. Now, I do have the Japanese EMI/Toshiba mini LP cd reissue of Living In The Past but not M.U. and Repeat as I don't believe EMI/Toshiba bothered with those.

Anyone care to elaborate on this.

Cheers.

Edit: Nevermind. TooTull's link above refreshed my memory and I just checked CD Universe for availability.

16. rubbersounds

rubbersounds Forum Resident

Probably me. I don't like any of the three remasters I've heard, particularly Benefit.

In this current thread about Stand Up:
    http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=78883
    ...our fearless leader said:

Dynamic Ranger and Classicolin like this.
  17. WestGrooving

WestGrooving Forum Resident

I have the DADC early pressing and was surprised how well it compared to my LITP lp.

I got rid of all my original Chrysalis CDs except for this one and MU Best Of and Repeat
    (those 2 kept cause I had them a long time). Overall, I prefer Tull on lp, but, this early pressing LITP is good.

18. grbl

grbl Just Lurking

I used to own this. I think it sounds pretty poor. I have the MFSL, which blows it away (and has all the songs).

19. There are different original CD versions for most (if not all) Jethro Tull CD's.

European Benefit is way different than the US Benefit (I prefer the US)
    same for Stand Up
    Minstrel in the Gallery: I like the UK better than the US

I don't like the remasters (others do).

Roland

Classicolin and yesstiles like this.
  20. jblock

jblock Senior Member

I'm a fan of the remasters. I just remember being really annoyed by the sound of the original US Passion Play and Stormwatch.

21. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

I think the original US Chrysalis cd's of Beneift, Passion Play, Living in the Past, and Minstrel in the Gallery all sounded good.

john lennonist likes this.
  22. pig whisperer

pig whisperer CD Member

I have the original U.S. made "Stand Up" and the remastered version made in E.U. (I didn't realized that I had a European version. My remaster of "Benefit" is from the U.S. I bought both discs at A&B Sound on the same day and thought they were Cdn versions). I'll have to give them a spin.

I have an original U.S. "Thick As A Brick". How does this compare with other versions?

23. luckett

luckett Forum Resident

I agree.....they were awful....

24. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

I'm always skeptical of remasters, so I hung on to my Chrysalis Benefit. I'll have a shootout this weekend! I may owe you an apology!

25. Jeff Carney

Jeff Carney Fan Of Specifics (No Koolaid)

The MFSL is indeed king on this, with much better midrange and warmth.

But since the MFSL goes for anout $100+, I think that the original Chrysalis is a very good alternative for those needing this album on CD. The Japanese mini LP is gorgeous but is quite no-noised. Whether some of it uses the same mastering as used on the bonus tracks of the individual remasters, I haven't checked. But I have compare three LitP CDs, and ranked them very easily as follows:

1. MFSL
    2. Chrysalis
    3. Toshiba-EMI Japan Mini lp

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.