Jethro Tull - "Live At Madison Square Garden 1978" (CD/DVD)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tootull, Aug 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

From the photo it looks like the finger's damage affected Ian's ability to touch up his goatee with Just For Men. :)

2. Oh I thought I had read that in the news section... Very sorry for the false alarm with regard to that fall solo tour!

3. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way Thread Starter

The Thick As A Brick part of this show is available on the remastered CD and it's available on the VHS of 20 years of JT + the DVD 25th Anniversary Collection.

4. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

The VHS also included "Songs From The Wood" and "Aqualung" from this performance.

5. yescool2002

yescool2002 Forum Resident

I think the Isle of Wight festival was shot on film, so a tranfer to Blu Ray makes sense.
    In this case, the only benefit would be a higher bitrate, but the resolution just isn't there for a Blu Ray release.

6. tootull

Thanks for that.
    I have not viewed the VHS in more than 10 years - I hated the chatter between tracks.

Warning: Thick As A Brick on the 25th Anniversary Collection DVD is only 3:23 of an 11:48 performance.

:cheers: all

7. krlpuretone

krlpuretone Forum Resident

Fear not, it's also coming out in the U.S.

8. tootull

Good news!

Can you arrange for the 40years DVD? :) too.

9. tootull

10. ZappaSG

ZappaSG New Member

11. street legal

street legal Senior Member

When is THIS coming out? UK only?

12. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

This is GREAT news. From the looks of the tracks, looks like an incomplete DVD, but with this vintage, we take what we can get!

13. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I know I thought the same thing. Hell, even a 76 or 77 show would have featured several move classic vintage songs. They were sliding away from the classic period but fast. I saw the Tull-a-vision Tour (Too Old To RnR) and it had a much better set list than this. Oh well.

14. Tone

Tone Senior Member

I saw them in '72 and '73. Those shows are legendary. Only rock concert I've ever seen that topped "The Who"....... But looks and sounds to me like they are in pretty darn good form here. Looking forward to the release.

15. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I know, those shows are as good as a rock show ever got. But in 77 they were still doing Cry You a Song, Wind Up, etc. The Tampa Stadium gig was taped off of the in-house video screen line out, and looks really great, that was the show I saw. It's been removed from youtube, but must be out there somewhere. They still had a 18 min. thick as a brick I think at that time. By the time of Bursting out, it was a different Tull.

16. Doctor Flang

Doctor Flang Forum Resident

Got my copy today! :goodie:

17. ZEPFAN

ZEPFAN Active Member

I looked at this today...some of the tracks are audio only ..at the beginning and end of the video section

what is sound and picture like?

18. Marvin

Marvin Senior Member

19. ZEPFAN

ZEPFAN Active Member

From the Back Cover
    DVD:
    1. Sweet Dream
    2. One Brown Mouse
    3. Heavy Horses

4. Opening
    5. Thick As A Brick
    6. No Lullaby (Including Flute Solo)
    7. Songs From The Wood
    8. Band Intro
    9. Quatrain
    10. Aqualung
    11. Locomotive Breath (Including Dambusters March)
    12. Too Old To Rock 'N' Roll
    13. My God/Cross Eyed Mary
    14. Locomotive Breath (Encore) (Including Dambusters March)

The one I saw in the shops today in the UK says that the first 3 tracks are audio only and that locomotive breath fades out to audio only

the actual video content is 1hr 30 min

its still great of course but when you see it on UK Amazon its a little misleading

I am going to get it this week, anyone like to pass a view on the sound + picture quality?

20. tootull

21. tootull

God only knows. UK only so far.

22. street legal

street legal Senior Member

Oh ok, thanks. That's too bad .......

23. Doctor Flang

Doctor Flang Forum Resident

The picture is quality is pretty good, considering it's taken from the broadcast video (?) master. The sound is remixed for stereo and 5.1. by Peter Mew. Can't comment the surround sound, but the stereo is ok if a bit unbalanced in places (Tony William's bass is almost overbearing) and a bit too dry for my personal taste. It's an 24-track recording so it's more hi-fi than Bursting Out (which was an 8-track).

All in all, it's great! Led Zeppelin DVD it ain't but nevertheless a nice addition to previous two Tull archive DVD's (Isle of Wight & Live in Germany).

24. ZEPFAN

ZEPFAN Active Member

I've just watched it Doctor Flang

my goodness..I was whisked back in time...I saw Tull in 1972 in Sheffield on the Thick As A Brick tour..as said earleir in the thread..they had no peers at that time and I include Zeppelin.

This footage is superb..the sound is very good too..better than some of the dry sounding stuff that appears on other music DVD's, its too short of course, but this has to be expected under the circumstances

it starts by following the band on to the stage..then straight into Thick As A Brick..heaven

Its a shame that No Lullaby wasn't an audio only..this track is the only poor tarck on this and I would have preferred My God to have been covered on video..i'm being picky now though

this is a MUST for anyone that likes the band and for anyone who wants a glimpse of some of the stuff that anyone who was around in the 70's had on tap at their local auditorium

If I had a wish I would just like each concert I attended in the early 70's on DVD in high quality:winkgrin::..I would never buy another music DVD

This is a very decent package..go get it if you are in the UK..you guys in the states have a bit longer to wait..its worth it.

25. RockWizard

RockWizard Forum Resident

If you have an all region player....no wait.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.