Jethro Tull - "Live At Madison Square Garden 1978" (CD/DVD)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tootull, Aug 10, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrbillswildride

mrbillswildride Internet Asylum Escapee 2010, 2012, 2014

but your wrong steve you see its only...

I envy you your tull times dedication tootull... :agree:

There was a time when I too needed tull totally, like songs from the wood and the air that I breathed... and skating away on the thin ice of the new day...

But I burnt out, I'm totally tulled out, and can only take choice early albums in small doses these days... but it comes in waves, and I'll come back around... one day, and be thinking round corners... alive and well and living in.... wondering again....

Having said that, I did just break down and buy a nice German LITP two Lp set, to compare with my UK set...:shh:

and we just got tickets to see Ian solo in November locally... my first Ian solo show...:D

cheerio,

:cheers:

2. chewy

chewy Forum Resident

awesome news!

3. Tone

Tone Senior Member

Agree....... I saw Tull in '72 and '73. Just unbeliveable shows. Especially the '72 'Thick as a Brick'. That band just ripped live and the theatrics were amazing all around. Best concert I've ever seen.

But as others have said, this '78 show looks very good indeed. Can't wait.

Still, it's such a shame that those '72 and '73 tours weren't recorded and filmed. There is some pretty bad 8MM footage from the '72 on Youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nw9fLjNrx7c&feature=related

As bad as it is, you can still feel the energy of those legendary shows.

Check out the jam at the end of this clip.........
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yd4p3Zij09o&feature=related

4. Tone

Tone Senior Member

:laugh: ......... which means that there is still hope of him finding 24 Track Masters and Panavision films of the early '70s concert in his garage. :D

5. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Yeah, I have read that, too.

6. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way Thread Starter

From the North American tour 1979 official program:

7. tootull

:laugh: That's what I'm thinking.

8. An attached image that sure says it all: thanks tootull!

BTW, anyone interested whom has abstained so far should really check out the "Passion Play Project" on Youtube - a mash-up, in several parts, of amateur footage and tapes forming a full A Passion Play concert performance from 1973 - before "something" happens to this very precious "Franken-testimony" from an accursed Tull tour...

9. fishyboots

fishyboots Forum Resident

Oh MY G O D.....
    I knew 1 day this would be released..
    I can wait a little longer, I guess LOL

Fish

10. trevaaar

trevaaar Forum Resident

UK-only release means it's 99% likely to be PAL. You might get lucky on the region code though. Do Americans really have trouble playing PAL DVDs? I've never had trouble playing NTSC here.

11. tootull

ParloFax,

You're welcome, no problem, well, actually, here's a better crop. Ian Anderson gets his ear back. This is a small poster size fold out that folds out again to a large band poster. It will not all fit into the scanner.

mrbillswildride,

Tull tuned fun read. I hope you all enjoy Ian Anderson solo. The Ian Anderson Divinities tour was good with the all Tull acoustic tunes second half, kicked off with Heavy Horses it sounded great from the front row of Massey Hall. There was a camera set up at this concert, I hope they have the tape.

Cheers!

12. Amazon UK says region 2, PAL

13. tootull

14. tootull

also listed here:
    http://www.bva.org.uk/node/904710

Jethro Tull: Live at Madison Square Garden 1978

Certificate: E
    Main category: Music
    Sub category: Rock/Pop
    Colour / BW: Colour
    Country of origin: United Kingdom

Year of Production: 1978

DVD / With CD
    Distributor name EMI UK
    Availability Retail / Rental
    Release Date 21/09/2009
    Trade Catalogue Number 967 9202
    Barcode 5099996792025

15. tootull

Found it :D Different release date listed: 14 Sep 2009
    Too, too bad if this doesn't eventually get a North American release. :realmad:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Jethro-Tull...ef=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1250234378&sr=8-3

Product details

* Actors: Jethro Tull
    * Format: PAL
    * Region: Region 2 (This DVD may not be viewable outside Europe. Read more about DVD formats.)
    * Number of discs: 2
    * Classification: Exempt
    * Studio: EMI Music
    * DVD Release Date: 14 Sep 2009
    * Average Customer Review: No customer reviews yet. Be the first.
    * ASIN: B002IR3PSC

16. Indy500

Indy500 Forum Resident

Only fitting as the satellite transmission was beamed only to Europe as well.

17. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Elvis 5 years earlier?

18. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

Couldn't agree more.

I've seen Hendrix, Who, Neil Young, Kinks, Springsteen, McCartney, Little Feat, Fleetwood Mac, Clapton, Pink Floyd, Grateful Dead and countless other "Live Heavy Hitters," and none could hold a candle to Tull '72 "Thick as a Brick" show (though the 'Oo were a close second).

My God
    , how I wish that show (and '73... and '69, '70, '71) had been professionally filmed and recorded... :cry:

19. jeffhartman

jeffhartman New Member

Does anyone know if Martin Barre will be with Ian on the Fall USA tour? I hope so!

20. tootull

“It was the first transatlantic live hook-up for a rock concert.” – quote from Minstrels In The Gallery a history of Jethro Tull – by David Rees

21. I just checked the official site and hope he will be: Ian recently got a bad injury on a finger on his left hand (guitar fingering) from putting out one of his semi-wild/exotic cats that was reluctant to it...

22. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Read all about it!

"Ian gives cat the finger" :D

http://www.jethrotull.com/news/ianfinger.html

23. tootull

Welcome to Canada Martin Barre

June 9, 2009
    Martin Barre (Jethro Tull) Inteview by Rick Landers. Modern Guitars Magazine :
    http://www.modernguitars.com/archives/004941.html

Rick Landers: A couple years ago I understand you bought a place in British Columbia. But, thought you lived in Southern England. Is one a vacation spot and one a regular home?

Martin Barre: No comment.

Rick: Okay...

Martin: No, I'm teasing you. I was gonna do “no comment” to all your questions. [Both Laughing]

Rick: That'd be a great interview. Why British Columbia?

Martin: I just love it. I love the outdoors. I love skiing, snowboarding, wakeboarding, tennis and running. I'm a big outdoor person and it's a great place to be, outdoors hiking. It's beautiful, people are nice. It's a simple, slow way of life and I guess at the back of my mind I always think if things go seriously pear-shaped in the world. It'd be a good place to be, because it's a bit of a sort of calm, not too many people. They're self-supporting and it's basically stable. If you're gonna have problems, not that we are, but I just think that's a great place to be.

Rick: It's a great escape.

Martin: Yeah, we love it. It's a holiday thing and we hardly ever get there because we work.

24. townsend

townsend Senior Member

As a physician assistant, I used to work for a orthopedic hand surgeon some time ago, so I saw lots of cases of mallet finger. From the picture, it looks like he injured his left ring finger.

Some anatomy: each digit has two joints, known as PIP and DIP joints, short for proximal interphalangeal and distal interphalangeal joints. The most distant joint is the distal, and that is the one involved in mallet finger. It usually occurs when the tip of the finger is forcibly flexed, in such a manner that the extensor tendon (which is on the dorsum of the finger--i.e., the "non-palm" side) is torn from the attachment point on the distal portion of the finger. Sometimes when the extensor tendon tears off, it takes a small piece of bone w/ it. This can clearly be seen on x-ray and is justification for why an x-ray is required. This is called an avulsion fracture.

With the extensor tendon detached, the end of the finger appears to "droop" ( position of permanent flexion)--and is called "mallet finger."

Timely treatment of this condition is mandatory. If you seek treatment many months later, it's too late. Splinting will not work (apparently, scar forms and the tendon will no longer bond to the distal portion of the phalanx).

The treatment is simply: splint the finger in extension for 6-8 weeks. This places the end of the torn tendon in position to heal and reattach to the distal portion of the finger. Important: you can never, even for one second, allow the finger to droop, even when changing your finger splint. Why? Because the tiny fibers are growing and reattaching; they are not yet strong enough to hold the distal portion of the finger in extension, and everytime the finger droops, they are torn and you start all over again.

This could be a devastating injury for someone who plays a stringed instrument, but is easily treated if treatment is not inordinately delayed.

Don't try to treat yourself by self splinting if you sustain such an injury. And don't go to your PCP (= primary care provider). See an orthopedist, even one who specializes in hand & arm, to make sure you completely recover. An orthopedist, especially at a multi-orthpedic specialty one ("sports" medicine doc [shoulders; kness]; hand doc [hand & arm]; foot doc [leg and foot]), would have seen hundreds of cases in his/her career and can manage this condition effectively.:)

25. tootull

Ian's finger was supposed to have healed by May 2009 - I believe this to be the case since I've not read anything to the contrary.

Note: Ian Anderson has a congenitally deformed little finger on the right hand, which makes playing the flute more difficult.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.