Jethro Tull - Broadsword or Under Wraps or Knave or Rock Island or Catfish or Roots

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tootull, May 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way Thread Starter

Last bump! :D

2. tootull

Final bump :D

3. Roninblues

Roninblues 猿も木から落ちる。

Broadsword

4. Carserguev

Carserguev Forum Resident

Rock Island, IMHO; it's pretty close to being a masterpiece, if you take a couple of fillers out, Kissing Willie is stupid, and the two songs with Ian on drums (on drum machine, I should say...)

Broadsword and the Beast is also awesome, and Ian still had all his voice then, it sounds pretty wonderful, and better recorded and produced; you can hear Peggy's bass!! All the albums Ian recorded and produced at his home studio have the bass turned down so low you almost wonder if it's there at all!

5. Rigsby

Rigsby Forum Resident

Under Wraps by far my favourite from this era. The production may be dated but musically it's incredibly strong, great lyrics and wonderfully evocative of its era. Lap Of Luxury is the weakest thing on there, so many other highlights. Chronologically speaking, after Stormwatch this is only album which I listen to with any regularity.

Don't actively dislike any of the others particularly (with possible exception of Crest of Knave which is 2nd rate Dire Straits other than Budapest) and I'd probably put Secret Language of Birds next on my list of go to 'Tull' albums of the last 30 years. But yes Under Wraps is genius and I think it will get rehabilitated at some point as an electro classic.

Mirsset likes this.
  6. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Broadsword..not to keen on the production.

7. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

CREST OF A KNAVE for me ...

8. Try listening to the song "Mountain Men" on Crest again which I think is Ian's last hurrah as a pleasant sounding singer. I don't know if that song was recorded earlier than others on Crest, but his voice is noticably stronger and would not be matched again by Ian unfortunately.

Also, I think 'Rocks on The Road' is fantastic on Catfish, but even better live on "A Little Light Music". A real late Tull classic.

9. zen

zen Senior Member

I had a "modern era'" love fest of Jethro Tull back in the late 80's/early 90's.
    Crest Of A Knave, Rock Island & Catfish Rising were all enjoyable albums for me; but I started losing interest with the exotic scales of Roots To Branches...

10. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I prefer Broadsword and Rock Island....

11. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member

Broadsword

Though of the others i've
    only heard UW , am i disqualified ?

why not make these proper polls ?

12. Rigsby

Rigsby Forum Resident

Do agree that those songs work better in a live context. Budapest and Rocks are both significantly improved live (and I'm one of those people who think they still cut it live as a band despite shortcomings). Will go back to Mountain Men though, definitely.

13. tagomago

tagomago Original Wrapper

None of them, ugh! And I've heard them all several times

14. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

This one for me by far........

Attached Files:

15. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

While I totally disagree, I kept waiting for Tull to play "Kissing Willie" during the Clinton scandal, but he never succumed to the temptation. Tull does have an instrumental called "Boris Dancing" in honor of former Russian president Boris Yeltson, based on an on camera drunken dance he performed.

16. tootull

17. NorthNY Mark

NorthNY Mark Senior Member

For me, it is Crest, followed by Under Wraps. In both cases, my favorite tracks are CD-only "bonuses": "The Waking Edge" (the only Tull song whose lyrics actually used to bring me to tears) on the former, and "General Crossing" on the latter. I agree with the previous posters that those who dismiss Crest may be forgetting about the magisterial "Mountain Men," and that some fans may have been so turned off by the programming on UW that they didn't really let the above-average songwriting sink in. I believe Martin Barre has called UW of his favorite Tull albums, but I don't have a link to prove it.

18. tootull

Martin & Ian both enjoy Under Wraps. Me too.
    [​IMG]
    Prefer the West German CD to the remaster. Remaster bass is over the top.
    [​IMG]

19. Dr. Bogenbroom

Dr. Bogenbroom I'm not a Dr. but I play one on SteveHoffman.TV

Easily Broadsword. But, who knows, perhaps the later albums will grow on me as Stormwatch and Broadsword have. As of now, I only enjoy a select few from albums post Broadsword and could probably pull together only one solid album's worth of material (excepting the very well done Christmas Album).

20. mrbillswildride

mrbillswildride Internet Asylum Escapee 2010, 2012, 2014

Crest and Broadsword for me. Both are great, but patchy. Rock and Catfish were real let-downs for me after Crest; both way too weak on killer tracks with too much filler. Roots was a real awesome surprise return to form, and for me, the last 'great' Tull album. Dot.com? no thanks... a real stinker to end on... Always hated Wraps and Light.... and A too.

Last truely essential Tull Lp? Songs from the Wood, 1977.

kwadguy likes this.
  21. Dr. Bogenbroom

Dr. Bogenbroom I'm not a Dr. but I play one on SteveHoffman.TV

Tsk tsk Mr. Bill, we've been down this trodden path before. May the iron-clad feather-feet pound you to dust for such a comment!

Ntotrar likes this.
  22. RubenH

RubenH Forum Resident

Can anyone comment on any sonic differences between the 1991 and 2005 (remaster) CD versions of Catfish Rising? I ask since the 'loudness database' shows the 1991 version to be more dynamic. The 2005 has bonus tracks that I'd be interested in. Thanks all in advance!

upload_2014-3-30_17-56-7.png

23. Carserguev

Carserguev Forum Resident

I am one of the few people in the universe who loves Rock Island. Just saying. It's not my choice from this list, that would be Broadsword, but I find it a great listen and love most of the songs. (My favourite from this era would be a live album, the amazing "A Little Light Music"; THAT ONE'S AWESOME!

24. dreambear

dreambear Forum Resident

Broadsword has some fantastic songs and Ian´s voice is top notch, but watch out for Roots to bransches. A few of the songs are overlong (first verse repeated, but it was a welocme comeback to a more proggy style after a few years with a little too much Dire straits/ZZ-top hybrid music (That said; "Budapest" and "farm on the freeway" from Crest are 5-star songs, and so are "Rocks on the road" from Catfish. Take a listen to the title track from RTB:

Carserguev likes this.
  25. gabacabriel

gabacabriel Forum Resident

Broadsword and Knave are both great albums, and Under Wraps - though much maligned at the time - definitely has its moments.

The other three? Meh.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.