Jethro Tull-Aqualung VK 41044 DIDX 68 CD

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Michael, Sep 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O! Thread Starter

HERE YA GO...

Attached Files:

2. Downsampled

Downsampled Senior Member

I found a copy of the original "uncorrected" DADC Aqualung today (VK 41044/DIDX 68). It's a little different than the one described in the OP. This one has normal black printing on the label, not dark grey. The matrix is 'DIDX 68 11C1'.

Came in a smooth-sided case. This really does have a lot of hiss! I don't have any other version of the album to compare to, but comparing the title track on the DCC Original Masters, the treble sounds way boosted. I'll give it a proper listen on the hi-fi this weekend, maybe.

3. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Reviving an old thread. I questioned in post #69 of this thread if the Japan-for-U.S. disc had a unique mastering and, at the time, missed a post just before it by Scott with peak levels for this disc. That Japan-for-U.S. disc has very low peak levels. I tested my disc to be sure, and it matches Scott's disc. I'll give it a critical listen later tonight.

The U.S. DADC pressing that I listed in the quoted post above is a CRC issue that I obtained in 1987. As noted, it has a barcode in the mirror band, so it is not a very early DADC pressing. Based on the total time, it has "Wind Up" in its entirety. I'm listening to the disc now, and it sounds quite good. Better than I remember. I hear hiss, and it breathes. It has a shortened opening to "Aqualung", however. Isn't there a version with a repeated guitar riff at the beginning?

I'll be adding the third piece of the puzzle to my collection soon. That would be the early U.S. DADC pressing that clocks in at 42:57. The seller told me that the matrix code is "DIDX 68 41A9". It has no barcode in the mirror band, so it is similar to Evan's disc. So I would guess it sounds good but is missing the end of "Wind Up".

4. Michael

Correct..Indeed...that should have the same mastering as the CD I mentioned at the thread start...

excellent, just excellent!

5. KeithH

Thanks, Michael. By the way, I said "Evan" in my post above. I meant to cite you. Sorry about that.

6. Downsampled

I had been looking for one of these (DADC pressings) forever with no luck, and am surprised to see a couple pop up recently.

Following up on my comment above, I like the sound of this disc. It sounds better coming out of speakers... My first listen to it on headphones really emphasized the hiss.

Keith, given the running time, I'm sure you got the same one. I see the matrix is nearly the same as the one I just sold here. Let us know how you like it.

7. KeithH

Thanks. I'll post a review as soon as I can. Since my previous post, I listened to the Japan-for-U.S. disc. It didn't sound as bad as I expected, but it still sounded flat and dull in comparison to the later U.S. DADC pressing I mentioned (total time 43:27).

8. Michael

curious, how much did it sell for? Thanks...

9. Michael

:righton:

10. Downsampled

Oh, gosh, it's not about the money. :angel:

11. Michael

gotcha.:)

12. Downsampled

13. Moonchild

Moonchild Forum Resident

The original uk chrysalis is quite decent. DCC is heaven but my go-to version is a vinyl rip I made from the Classic records lp:shh:

"I can resist everything except temptation"

14. KeithH

I received the early U.S. DADC pressing today and confirmed that it is the short version (42:57). The disc has "Made in USA - Digital Audio Disc Corp." stamped on the plastic ring, and the matrix code is "DIDX 68 41A9". I have to run out tonight, so I'll give it a listen over the weekend. It will be interesting to see how it fares against my later U.S. DADC pressing for CRC, which sounds quite good.

15. KeithH

I listened to this shortened early DADC pressing late last night. Michael is right. This disc sounds great. Granted, I did not compare it to the DCC gold disc, but this DADC pressing is very good.

Earlier in this thread, I mentioned a later U.S. DADC pressing that I obtained from BMG in 1987. The matrix code is "DIDX 68 7" in the more modern DADC font. This disc runs 43:27, so it has "Wind Up" in its entirety, and it sounds very good. I need to compare it to the shortened earlier DADC pressing. For now, I'll say that if you can find either of these pressings, you will have yourself a good-sounding disc.

16. Downsampled

Does that later DADC disc have blue ink on the label?

17. KeithH

No, black. I'll post a scan later today.

18. Jeff Carney

Jeff Carney Fan Of Specifics (No Koolaid)

Guys, forgive if I'm lost, but how do these compare to the Sanyo Japan for West Germany Chrysalis (610016-222) that has a TT of 43:33? I absolutely love this disc.

19. Interestingly the DCC seems to be a bit easier to find than these.

20. KeithH

I'm not sure. I have the Japanese Sanyo pressing, and it sounds good. It would be interesting to see how it fares against the early U.S. DADC pressings.

I agree.

21. KeithH

Here is a scan of my Columbia Record Club (CRC) disc pressed by DADC. I incorrectly stated previously that it was a BMG issue. It is indeed an early CRC issue.

The disc has "Made in USA - Digital Audio Disc Corp." stamped on the plastic ring, and the matrix code is "DIDX-68 7" in the "modern" DADC font. Note the "barcode" in the mirror band. It is difficult to see in the scan, but the disc also has "MANUFACTURED BY DADC" etched in the mirror band in very small characters. I obtained this disc new from CRC in 1987.

Attached Files:

22. Michael

did you ever do a comparison?

23. KeithH

Not yet. I need to do that.

24. Michael

OK, let us know when you do.:righton:

25. Brian81

Brian81 Forum Resident

I picked up a copy of the VK 41044 DIDX 68 today, not a record club issue, but the disc says RE-1 on it. This one does have blue ink on the label rather than black.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.