Jethro Tull - Aqualung, Clarity Vinyl 200G 45 RPM, 4 Disc Box Set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by VinylNutz, Aug 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jack

Jack Senior Member

Careful, the MAN is gonna track you down and throw you in jail!

2. mrtownshend

mrtownshend Member

Has anyone heard the Quad version of this album that came out in the 70's?? How is it? If you were able to come across one in a store, would you pick it up?

3. Guy from Ohio

Guy from Ohio Senior Member

It's interesting because it's a completely different mix using different takes, the guitar solos for example are different. I bought it when it first came out and never let go.

4. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way

:cool:

mrbillswildride, :laugh:
    Steal a little and they throw you in jail,
    Steal a lot and they make you king.
    Bob Dylan

5. Terry

Terry Senior Member

Horrendous mix. Almost as bad as Imagine.

6. mrbillswildride

mrbillswildride Internet Asylum Escapee 2010, 2012, 2014

When I Was Young and...

I have, two pressings, and IIRC, slightly different cover packaging, if not sonics... I love it if just for the cool alt. ending track, Wind Up... now found on one of them endless Aqualung Cd reissues...

Mos def worth picking up if ever sighted... :righton:

:D

7. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

It's okay, dude, you are no doubt listening to the DCC vinyl 99% of the time anyway, the best of the lot! :thumbsup:

8. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Once I got used to the Quad mix of this album all other copies I have heard of the stereo mix sound a little dull. The Q mix of this is a must have if you are an LP collector or classic rock. Same thing with WYWH, more than a slight difference, and better in some ways.

9. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

That's not true. In my profession which is music publishing nobody suggests that you have to get rid of the CDR you copied while you owned the original.

10. Axis_67

Axis_67 Senior Member

I would like to hear the argument they would make in favor of prosecution:

"The defendant has an unauthorized copy of the Jethro Tull album - Aqualung"

And then the defense:

"Your honor, my client has purchased and lawfully owns FIVE copies of this particular piece of music. I feel confident that the performers and publishers of this music have recieved more than fair compensation from my client. "

You know, with so many of us having purchased multiple copies of so many pieces of music, they should come to our homes and thank us in person.

buzshaws likes this.
  11. Paul K

Paul K Senior Member

Post of the year!

12. Axis_67

Axis_67 Senior Member

Paul, I could just imagine the RIAA and their lawyers knocking on the door of someone with the kind of music collection most of us have, saying their artists lost revenue because they know somebody has a CDR of a disc they no longer own. They are then taken to the music room and asked which artist that you have well over 50 LP's and CD's by feels they aren't getting their fair share from you.

I'm not advocating the downloading of legitimate releases of music you haven't purchased, since I'm a big fan of having an original copy of the LP or CD on hand, I'm just saying that we are the folks that help keep their industry alive. They should be actively looking for the dedicated fans of their music and make an effort to make them feel valued. They should be visiting sites like this and PM the real fans of their bands with offers for free downloads of live shows or send them promo items or samplers of upcomming releases.

Sorry for getting OP, but I had to get this out of my system...

13. abor1g

abor1g Forum Resident

to all ppl who "think right"

i won t tell the truth as some ppl here will put me on guillotine...:realmad:
    but i sometimes dl music before buying it on lp...
    i used to buy music since 1971 and at that time, i felt lucky when i had 4 or 5 tracks worth listening on a record i bought
    i have a bunch of lps that i did put right on the shelf because there were only 1 or 2 good tracks
    now i reverse the trend.... i know what i buy... period...

i have spent over 100 bucks nearly every month on music for ages... i dont feel culprit

14. izgoblin

izgoblin Forum Resident

I've asked my wife to pick this one up for me for Christmas. I do have the Classic 33rpm version, so I'd be really keen on comparing the two. But I just can't bring myself to pay the price to buy this album again. I do like Tull, but no matter how classic this album is, it's still not my favorite Tull.

I've said in another thread what a couple of posters have basically said here - I do feel a bit silly about paying audiophile prices for an album that's not been recorded to meet audiophile standards to begin with. Heck, after hearing all the praise for the Classic 33rpm, I was quite disappointed when I put it on the platter. Now knowing what to expect, I think it will fun to compare the 33rpm and the 45rpm versions, and that box sure does look cool. But I'll be damned if i'm going to shell out the green for it myself. :)

15. Natt

Natt Forum Resident

Yes, not my favourite Tull either, so I hope this sells well enough for them to do Songs From The Wood for me :)

16. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way

Nice to see Tull in demand this way, though I will never buy vinyl again, period.

I guess I better change my user name. :D

17. john lennonist

john lennonist There ONCE was a NOTE, PURE and EASY...

+1 :agree:

18. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

Yes, if for nothing more than the different versions of a couple of tracks.

Got the 45 set last week, the good thing is it is slightly better than the Classic 33 in dynamics and mid range clarity especially in the vocals. The 45 version offers a very defined sound on Ian's vocals.

The bad thing is that no version that I've heard has the balance and weight of the very first UK pressing. Only the first UK Stamper has a good balance in sound. Every other version sounds thin in comparison.

19. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

:biglaugh: :righton:

20. thedudeabidz

thedudeabidz Stepping sharply from the rank and file

I got a copy of the MFSL version for low bucks, and was totally blown away by the sound. My original, inherited vinyl copy was beat, and I recall how terrible this sounded when it came out on CD back in the day, so I wasn't expecting such good sound.

So why did I buy this new version? Because I have a problem!

I agree with others on here that are puzzled by all the Aqualove. It's certainly their breakthrough album, but when it comes to Tull, I don't think it gets any better than Stand Up and Benefit!! Please, someone treat those with some love!!

21. mrbillswildride

mrbillswildride Internet Asylum Escapee 2010, 2012, 2014

In Honor of T.Tull...

Amen to that brother... :righton:

I like Aqualung just fine, in the myriad of versions I have, really a good record, if a tad bombastic at times.

But Benefit has always been my personal fave, and I only wish that shelved audiophile version in the works had come to fruition. Stand Up of course we have a very nive MOFI Cd of, and the UK Pink Island sounds mighty fine as well. But Benefit needs some love in this arena.

I've come to a bit of a personal revelation lately as regards my long-standing love affair with Tull, some 20+ years now, and that is that I much prefer the original Cornick/Bunker attack on the sense over the later Hammond/Barlow blunderbusts. There, I said it. I still love large bits of Thick and Passion and Chateau and Warchild and Minstrel and Songs, but that early line up, post-Abrahams, and with Barre just a budding guitarist giving Anderson and Co. lots of room to reach for it, is my fave. The stuff on Benefit, Stand Up and the singles and songs gathered on Living In The Past is what moves me the most. I realized this after watching Tull DVDs of TRSRnRC, Isle of Wight, and the two JT Doc, Videos, and then playing those Lps for the umpteenth time.

More power to you, if you like all periods of Tull, but for my money they were at their most exiting and vital in their early years once the Mick-Ian ego battle was gone and Ian could flourish behind that special pair, a pair which he lated shoved out of 'His' group.

The last vestages of that killer Tull line-up, Glenn gone, but Evans in, was Life's a Long Song Ep. They were a much different beast after Clive Bunker decamped... :shake:

cheers,
    :cheers:
    mrbill

22. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I just picked this one up and the vinyl quality is by far the best I have heard from Classic records. Very quiet. I liked it so much I will be getting some of the Gabriel 45 rpm vinyl. These are incredible pressings.

I really liked the resolution on the 45rpm Aqualung. I heard things on that disc that hadn't noticed on my DCC 33rpm.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.