Jethro Tull - Aqualung, Clarity Vinyl 200G 45 RPM, 4 Disc Box Set

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by VinylNutz, Aug 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Meddle_Guy

Meddle_Guy Forum Resident

Bummer. I'm getting a copy delivered next week. My luck with recent Classic Records pressings has been very good - I'm keeping my fingers crossed on this one. :shake:

2. Meddle_Guy

I listened to this last night, and IMO it really sounds great. I have a mid-1970's domestic pressing and the Classic 33 rpm (but not the DCC) to compare, and it does sound significantly better. It sounds very good for a fairly low-fi recording. A few minor ticks here and there, but very quiet overall. The Clarity vinyl thing may be a marketing gimmick but it does look cool.

3. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

So Ian went back into his garage and dug out those original tapes again after loaning them to SH/DCC? I wonder....:sigh:

Just wondering, it was quite a long drawn-out ordeal as I recall for SH to finally get his mitts on them....

4. Music Geek

Music Geek Confusion will be my epitaph

I know this might sound like blasphemy but... can you enjoy an album when you need to stand up and change records three times to listen to it fully? Call me dead lazy but regardless of the quality of the recording I would never do it.

5. Jack

Jack Senior Member

thankee!

6. John

John Senior Member

Hi Meddle- Please expand on the improvement over the 33. Is there any more bass impact, or is it more of a clarity thing across the board? Lastly, is the clarity vinyl that much better than the 200g?

Many Thanks!

7. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

I hear you. I have the 45rpm version now, and did find it "hard" to keep jumping up and down to change sides so often. The things we put up with for the "ultimate" in fidelity. :)

8. Hawklord

Hawklord Senior Member

The cool thing with these 45's of things I already own is now if I only want to here Aqualung or Cross eyed Mary the 45's will be an awesome choice. I do that with some of my CCR AP pressings.

9. Hawklord

Hawklord Senior Member

I own a mid 70's Canadian pressing, the Classic Records 200g 33. I'll almost certainly order the 45 box.

10. 51nocaster

51nocaster Senior Member

If you want more bass, give the MFSL a try.

11. A.G. Pennypacker

A.G. Pennypacker Forum Resident

I remember the Classic 33 RPM release getting pushed back again, and again, and again, so I think they probably ran into the same problems with the master that DCC did. There's no doubt in my mind that they actually got the master.

Thanks for posting the photos, MikeT. That looks quite a bit different than I was expecting.

12. Parkertown

Parkertown Tawny Port

Oh yeah... :agree:

It rocks! :agree: Finally got one a couple months back. :righton:

13. Fatman

Fatman Senior Member

I have it. Although the bass is definately more present, it sounds like the effect of using a loudness button or having your sub set too loud.

14. mrbillswildride

mrbillswildride Internet Asylum Escapee 2010, 2012, 2014

Sitting on a purchase bench... eye new releases with bad...

I just cannot bring myself to buy yet another copy of this album. I'll suffer through with my Mofi vinyl, DCC vinyl, UK vinyl, German vinyl, US WLP vinyl and the Cd-r copy I made of the DCC Cd after I sold it herein... :winkgrin:

Enough is enough... and I don't wanna be flip platters every ten minutes... :help:

:D

15. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

im with you bill. enough snotty nosed perverts in my collection :D

16. PMC7027

PMC7027 Forum Hall Of Fame

You should not advertise on a public forum that you violate copyright laws.

17. fmuakkassa

fmuakkassa Dr. M

I got the 45 RPM Classic Records copy today and compared it to my DCC copy. I still prefer the DCC copy on my system. It is quiter, have more punchy and powerful bass.

I Can't believe they did not include the lyrics sheet on the 45 RPM box set.:mad:

18. Natt

Natt Forum Resident

I've got this on order - will be interesting to see how this compares to their 33rpm 200G version. The single sided 45rpm format is very interesting though - I wonder what they'll give this treatment to next?

19. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

There is a lyric sheet with my copy. It is in the actual Aqualung jacket. If you didn't get one, maybe you should contact Classic or the vendor you received your copy from - since I got one in my box.

20. mrbillswildride

Sum laws Are Bogus...

If I make a copy of something I bought NEW for my own listening purposes only is that Violating Copyright Laws?? :confused: If so that is one bogus law which I will not abide by... :shake:

I can't drive 55 either... :eek: :angel: :winkgrin:

:D

21. Pug

Pug The Prodigal Snob Returns!

Here's the problem:

You sold the original, you are no longer legally allowed to keep the copy.

Basic copyright 101.

22. mrbillswildride

Not a problem for me... :eek:

Like I said, some thing just aint right... :shake: and therefore... :angel:

I paid, I play... :angel:

thanks though, :wave:

cheers,
    :cheers:
    mrbill

23. fmuakkassa

fmuakkassa Dr. M

Thanks. I checked and double checked. No lyrics. I'll call Acoustic Sounds.

24. Morninggloryseed

Morninggloryseed Mind Expanding Seed

Making a CD-R of a CD/album one purchases for private use is not a violation of any copyright laws that I am aware of.

Well, if you sell the original..maybe that's illegal but I wonder if anyone has ever had charges brought up for that.

25. Meddle_Guy

Unfortunately the bass impact seems only nominally better, the rest of the range seems to have a more open sound, especially the upper mids and treble. It still does NOT sound anything near an audiophile recording but I'm sure the master tape is not exactly Dark Side of the Moon in sound quality.

As far as the Clarity vinyl it may be a marketing gimmick. My 33 rpm pressing is virtually silent, whereas the 45 rpm does have a few ticks. No big deal to me. I do prefer the 45 rpm version. I wish I had a DCC pressing to compare but they are more than 2x the price of this Classic version on the used market.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.