Jethro Tull - Aqualung 40th Anniversary Special Edition

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Warchild, May 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. peteham

peteham Senior Member

Among the many revelations on the stereo remix is the bass guitar. Such clarity.

2. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

OK, I screwed up on the term that I used; I meant WORLD FAMOUS!!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

3. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

Just received this after an inquiry to import cds.

CD Listening Bar, Inc just sent you a full refund of $76.78 USD for your purchase. It may take 3-5 business days to receive the refund in your PayPal account. If you have any questions about this refund, please contact CD Listening Bar, Inc.

The refund will go to your PayPal account.

To see all the transaction details, please log into your PayPal account. It may take a few moments for this transaction to appear in your account.

:rolleyes:

4. Terry

Terry Senior Member

Just finished listening to the new stereo remix on Spotify. One word: brilliant.

5. PNeski@aol.com

[email protected] Forum Resident

would have bought this ,but its too expensive and I don't want the Lps'
    who stupid idea is this record fad? Why aren't those done by them-self

I have to say while the cover art work with the type isn't that great
    The way the Box is made is impressive ,
    hardly the same deal as the smile set,you get one cd of bonus tracks
    and a blue Ray/dvd od surround mixes ,I take it a booklet too

6. peteham

peteham Senior Member

To each his own, you're missing a killer package.

7. DJ WILBUR

DJ WILBUR The Cappuccino Kid

i did not think of that, thanks...been dying to hear it...that'll do for now...

8. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

I'm pleased to see all the positive reviews, including Mr. Mew's rehabilitated image & Mr. Wilson's continued strong work. I was holding off due to the high price, but that importcd deal is looking too good to pass up. I've got Smile to keep me occupied this week, but I daresay I'll be breaking down on this one shortly. I actually haven't listened to Aqualung in ages, so it's ripe for re-exploration.

9. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

This might be a very limited box set, stores are telling me that they've had a hard time getting them. The largest store in town got only two, another got none.

10. A hypothetical question. If this new Aqualung does turn out to be the definitive version on CD does my near mint DCC Aqualung retain it's value? In other words, if I was to put it up for sale in a few months time should I still be asking $150 or should I only be asking $50? Would there even be the same level of interest? Mmmmm?

11. Onrd

Onrd I am not a number

This is an absolutely gorgeous presentation. The enclosed book is thorough with tons of info I didn't know. The packaging is top notch.
    I wish the Pink Floyd Immersion was done this well. The discs are well protected and none were loose in the package. I'm already impressed and haven't listened to the music yet!

12. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Does the box set have songs on it that aren't included on the 2-cd set?

13. ca1ore

ca1ore Forum Resident

5.1 hires mix off the bluray sounds incredible. Hard to believe it is a 40 year old recording.

14. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Dang! That's some high praise. Are you sure?

;)

15. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

"Record fad"? For some of us records never went away.

16. hurple

hurple Forum Resident

I just bought the 2-disc as I want the album and bonus tracks, and don't need all the rest. And, since my wife thinks that JT belongs in one of the lowest levels of hell, I would NEVER get to listen to any of the 5.1 mixes anyway.

Well, all that and I'm saving my pennies for the Quadrophenia Super Deluxe due out in two weeks. :edthumbs:

But it sounds like a great set. I would love to have it.

17. KeithH

We're entering uncharted territory. Step lightly.

18. KeithH

Exactly. The remix could have been mastered poorly. From Claus' comments, it would seem that the remix was mastered well. It's not an apples to apples comparison, but still a fair one.

19. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

REALLY...? 738 posts until somebody give us some concrete feedback on the 5.1?!

Now playing on Ariel Stream: Carrie Newcomer - Hold On

20. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

Just opened the package, first it arrived in perfect condition from Amazon...PERFECT! Much better packaging than the PF box. It is definitely a better packed set than the Pink Floyd box plus the high res stereo is on both the DVD & Bluray

21. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

I just finished listening to the CD of the remixed album... thank you! (-;

Here's my report: WOW!

The remix is everything you wanted it to be: the gunk is gone, the tone of each and every instrument is preserved and audible, stereo placement is perfect, levels are exquisitely and expertly managed. Amazing: you can hear the bows on the strings of the violins, the hammers on the piano strings. This is a remix for the ages. Even on stereo you feel you are in the room with the musicians.

If I may be overly (and overtly) critical of the mastering, I would say there is a slightly glassy quality to the sound, and I would have liked the acoustic tracks lower in volume compared to the hard-rocking ones. BUT, this is a very small gripe as there is no NR, probably no compression at all, and everything sounds absolutely glorious.

22. stricee

stricee Forum Resident

139.99 at best buy....yikes

23. KeithH

This is good news since I have DVD players in both systems and a Blu-Ray player in one system.

24. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Listening to the Bonus CD now: the high standards of the sound quality of the album are maintained. The alternative tracks are very interesting to hear, and the new mixes are, once again, out of this world.

If the DCC is the Everest, this remix is in space, somewhere on Saturn.

25. ricks

ricks Senior Member

Plan9 after the initial "euphoria" wears off, examine the CD tracks closer. Apparent to my ears a fair amount of limiting was used. Boatload of clipped peaks. Although for today's day and age it's not egregious. I'd post some waveforms, but that might cause incessant whining from a select few - not even sure DR values are OK anymore?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.