Jethro Tull - Aqualung 40th Anniversary Special Edition (part3)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Dec 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way

Sounds like someone left the room for a cup of tea, and nobody bothered to listen to the Blu-ray. It can't be said enough that these are terrible tearing sounds on My God.

2. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

I'm glad that somebody else is finally starting to get on the bandwagon. When I mentioned this over 7 weeks ago, nobody seemed to care. Only MikeT even commented on my concerns back in early November. I am glad that now other people are beginning to show an interest in this phenomenon.

3. Ed Hughes

Ed Hughes Senior Member

Umm...Let's see I pick DTS-HD Master audio via the Blu-ray menu,the display on my receiver reads DTS-HD Master audio so ummm...yeah I think so. :rolleyes:

4. Doug Sclar: > (...) I wonder if anybody would have grounds for a law suit if they did damage their gear? (...) <

That is exactly in line with what I was about to post. I have not heard the problem mind you, but based on some of the descriptions here, I wonder about that too... Bet they would fix this and replace that BR disc in a jiffy!...

Earing damage sucks and is NO minor quibble...

5. therockman

I think that you missed the point. If you choose DTS HD Master Audio, then that only means that your player is reading the lossless DTS audio track on the disc. If you use the wrong cables, or if your machine resamples the information, or if your receiver can not decode high rez lossless DTS, then the information will be downsampled.

The point is, there are many factors that would cause a person to not hear high rez uncompressed audio even though they choose that particular audio track.

6. tootull

I've been posting since you mentioned it. We had a thread that was deleted, understandably deleted as it was a duplicate of information found on one of these three Aqualung 40th threads.

7. therockman

Thanks, I might have missed some of that. :righton:

8. tootull

Some receivers say this but don't do it. :shh: Google it.

9. tootull

10. Ed Hughes

Ed Hughes Senior Member

First I have heard of this.I will check it out.

11. tonewheeltom

tonewheeltom Forum Resident

I posted the times of the glitches for exact spots on my Blu-ray, including one on "Cheap Day Return" which no one else seems to mention, back at the very end of part 2 of this thread:
    http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showpost.php?p=7227749&postcount=999

I first stumbled across this site looking for QC issues for other discs. Over the years, sites like thedigitalbits.com and blu-ray.com have been helpful pointing out flaws and info for replacement discs. I'm surprised we don't have any definitive info about getting this corrected. The flat transfer was a big deal for me.

12. tootull

13. tootull

14. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

The click in the original mix of "Cheap Day Return" isn't as bad as the ones in "My God". It's just a regular, annoying pop rather than the ear and speaker destroying distortions in "My God"

15. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

:agree: :agree: :agree: :agree: :agree:

16. masterbucket

masterbucket Senior Member

absolutely:righton:

17. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

But did you (and others) let the label know about this problem? I'm fine with the 2CD version and can hardly afford the deluxe box, but even if I could (say, after price drop), these defects definitely put me off the bandwagon. It's absolutely ridiculous and inexcusable to offer such "luxury" items with such glaring defects and this MUST affect the future sales (as with one of the PF Immersion boxes). Or is it a kind of pre-2012 black humor? "You wanted a huge dynamic range and hi-res? Try our brand new glitches!" :laugh:

18. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

The next step will be listening to the 25th Anniversary remaster BECAUSE IT'S SO SMOOTH! :D

19. tulltapes

tulltapes Forum Resident

i didin't notice the glitches?

I'll ask again.. What is a mix that you consider to be THE BEST?

I want to hear it!

20. therockman

Original.

21. Carserguev

Carserguev Forum Resident

Remix.

22. tulltapes

tulltapes Forum Resident

obviously some have not even heard the blu-ray 5.1. If you haven't heard the blu-ray on a proper setup you are unqualified to complain. To say the original is the best is just out of line..lol Everyone has a preference but if you prefer the original over the 5.1 well..
    i better just keep quiet.

23. kevnhuys

kevnhuys Forum Resident

It's kind of an apples-to-oranges comparison then, in your original post.

All you know of what Peter Mew did is what little Mr. Wilson has told us, and the more we find out the more nuanced it gets (for example, his comments about 10k boost appear to have been based on the title track only). Yet some are already confidently blaming Mew's mastering for whatever they dislike about the sound.

24. kevnhuys

kevnhuys Forum Resident

If the AVR is reporting that its input is "DVD Master Audio" then it is likely his player is passing a bit-perfect digital bitstream, which is being decoded in the AVR.

25. mongo

mongo Senior Member

A simple glance at Ed's profile shows that he has an AVR capable of decoding DTS-HD but unless the profile is out of date, he does not have a player capable of passing a DTS-HD bitstream via HDMI.

I'm guessing Ed does have a BD player otherwise he wouldn't be so foolish as expecting a DVD player to play a BD disc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.