Jethro Tull - Aqualung 40th Anniversary Special Edition (part3)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Dec 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

I stand corrected; I thought that it was still in 4.0; my mistake. :angel:

2. tulltapes

tulltapes Forum Resident

Steven could you possibly tell us about even more additional recordings or unheard songs from these reels that did not get released this time? if you had heard them, if so how were they? Do you imagine us fans will ever hear them?

3. dr.zoix

dr.zoix Forum Resident

On the back of the lp:
    #8 And man saw it not.
    #9 But for Christ's sake he'd better start looking.

Is it me or is disc 2 BETTER than disc 1. { I only have the 2 disc version }

To Tullman, Could you please specify which songs are they that you consider to be too bright/harsh. Like you I also use tube amps & pre-amps. Thanks.

4. bigfix

bigfix New Member

Thanks, I'll be sure to inform my wife of this! :D

5. Meng

Meng Forum Resident

Steven - if you're reading this - Tales From Topographic Oceans and Relayer pretty please!!!!!!!!!!!!

6. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

Just got my deluxe set and it's beautiful. 4 CDs, an LP and a hardcover book in such a slim, sturdy little case? THIS is how deluxe sets should be!

Loving the remix so far, but those noises in the original mix on the Blu-ray are grounds for a replacement offer! I made the mistake of listening to them on headphones and they killed my right ear :(

They don't sound like any sort of tape artifact I've heard, I'm quite certain that they're digital, which is very unfortunate. How do we go about contacting EMI?

7. dead of night

dead of night Senior Member

My doctor told me I have unusually large ears and I think Aqualung sounds great.

8. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

Finally got my copy from ImportCDs late yesterday but due to it being almost Christmas it'll go under the tree for now.

Tull on Christmas morn? Yep. :D

9. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Just finished the book, now playing the 5.1 DTS HD mix on the Blu Ray, because I can. :laugh:

:cheers:

10. NewKidInTown

NewKidInTown Forum Resident

Looking forward to receiving my copy...thanks MYKE for bringing Import CD's to my attention. I was able to snag this for the super-low price and it has now shipped:righton:

11. therockman

I have been complaining about about this for the last 7 weeks. My assertion at the very beginning of November is that EMI needs to replace the Blu Ray disc because of that awful distortion. I have commented about this at least a dozen times in these threads, but only one or two other people felt in the least BIT concerned about this issue. I feel that it is serious enough to warrant a replacement.

12. therockman

Do yourself a favor and listen to the 5.1 LPCM track instead; it is sublime.

FVDnz likes this.
  13. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Crossed Eyed Mary and Locomotive Breath are the two that stand out. The eq throughout is bright and the mids are sucked out.

14. Ed Hughes

Ed Hughes Senior Member

I agree 100%.I played the DTS mix first and thought it sounded a little thin and wonky in spots like I was listening using one of those fake surround sound modes.Then I played the LPCM mix and was bowled over. More dynamic.Surround more balanced.Love it.Btw I see your point about the original mix and the distortion.I don't even play it.If I want to hear the original
    mix I still have my DCC Gold.:love:

15. Myke

You're welcome, but that sure wasn't my idea...another member posted that great price publicly, and I mulled over canceling my (Prime) Amazon order for a couple of days before deciding it was a no-brainer financially.
    Paying half price sure does sweeten it huh ? :laugh:

16. drSeehas

drSeehas Forum Resident

Is it "DTS-HD Master Audio" or "DTS-HD High Resolution Audio"?

17. Myke

Master.

18. drSeehas

drSeehas Forum Resident

Thank you.
    DTS-HD Master Audio is a lossless compression so there is absolutely no difference to LPCM. If there is a difference, you do something wrong.

19. Ed Hughes

Ed Hughes Senior Member

This has not been my experience.I made no changes between the two other than going into the menu and selecting the option I want to hear.If they are exactly the same why have both options?

20. drSeehas

drSeehas Forum Resident

Where do you decode DTS-HD Master Audio? In the player or in the receiver?
    Is your player set to "bitstream" or "PCM"?
    Do you even have a DTS-HD Master Audio decoder?
    Ask EMI.
    Probably because not everyone can decode DTS-HD Master Audio and there was space left on the BD?

21. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

One of the great things about listening through a music server is that I'll be able to 'fix' the glitches. I'm hopeful that they will do some type of replacement, but until they do that's a reasonable option.

I'm not exactly sure of the best way to do this yet, but one option would be to take snipets of the DCC version and replace the bad sections.

22. therockman

Thank you Doug. I'm sure that I can "fix" it digitally, but for the amount of money that EMI charged for this item, a consumer should not be forced to fix an anomolie.

23. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way

Really rough on the ears through speakers. Through headphones, :yikes: have mercy, listening to Aqualung 40th anniversary flat transfer should come with a My God WARNING. Nasty, nasty, NASTY.

24. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

Agreed of course, but what other options do we have?

I'm still amazed that they didn't catch this prior to release. When I was in the business, one of my main functions was to listen to test pressings and make sure nothing like this happened. Granted this was in the analog days, but still?

After all what the heck was the point of getting test pressings if this type of thing was not caught prior to release. That said, I often caught problems that were considered minor and often the thought was that the principals didn't want to pay for a remaster for such a slight problem. In this case the problem is not slight and could actually cause playback system damage.

I wonder if anybody would have grounds for a law suit if they did damage their gear?

Btw, I should add that last year I was involved with remastering over 100 reels, using high end gear to do the conversions. I discovered many glitches after the fact, and we missed most of them during the mastering process. In our case they were not nasty full scale disturbances as much as short term sections where the level dropped to zero. These occurances were so short that they just sounded like clicks, but they were not on the master tapes. The assumption is that they were caused by clocking errors, but we never actually verified that.

I was able to fix most of these by just cutting them out. In most cases doing this didn't disrupt any timing as they were very short in duration, but there were a few cases where we'll have to remaster.

My point is that this type of thing can happen. Had somebody listened carefully they should have caught this and repaired it before the release.

25. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way

View Poll Results: Rate the Blu-Ray Surround Release of Jethro Tull - Aqualung
    http://www.quadraphonicquad.com/forums/showthread.php?15133-Jethro-Tull-AQUALUNG-Blu-Ray/page2

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.