Jethro Tull - Aqualung 40th Anniversary Special Edition (part3)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Dec 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Olias of Sunhill

Olias of Sunhill Forum Resident

Funny... I've had many of these same quibbles with SW's remix of my personal favorite album, Islands by King Crimson. I've memorized it in such minute detail that every change in volume or tone, every slight edit or tweak, stands out like a big stop sign to me.

Ultimately, I've learned to love the new mix, but it took at least a dozen headphone listens. Loud ones.

2. bigfix

bigfix New Member

Agree

3. bigfix

bigfix New Member

I'm 53 and can hear the 12khz tone but nothing above that. Rats!
    If I pressurize my ears (pinch nose, mouth closed and blow) I can hear the 14khz for awhile until the ears normalize again.

I feel robbed, I now can afford and have decent sound gear and the great Aqualung remix and cannot hear it all. Life is cruel. :D

Cracklebarrel likes this.
  4. Robobrewer

Robobrewer Forum Resident

Congratulations for your big ear canals! I suspect this means listening to Jethro Tull is an even more fulfilling experience.:goodie:

5. Robobrewer

Maybe this is a good excuse for you to play Aqualung louder. If anyone complains, all you have to do is tell them you have a minor "disability" and it is not polite for them to be critical or to discriminate.:D

6. Steve O

Steve O Forum Resident

Amazing! I have a similar dream, but mine also includes Tarkus and Trilogy!

7. Meng

Meng Forum Resident

I doubt that. I would guess that he was already well aware of the, um, potential pitfalls awaiting him. He's jumped right in the deep end, and the water is - for the most part - fine. His work on Aqualung is being compared favourably to the one done by our host - that's a big deal in here.

If I were him I'd have a big, fat, cheesy grin on my face. :D

8. tulltapes

tulltapes Forum Resident

Thank You and Yes!

9. tulltapes

tulltapes Forum Resident

I hear 14 kHz but not 15 ..I am 38

I agree, it seems some on this forum do like to nitpick about the smallest details. It can be typical for some audiophiles to point out things they do not like before anything else? Almost like they sit down and wait for something to stand out that isn't right? This album in particular, seems that even if My God himself came down and gave this mix the holy treatment they would still not be satisfied. It doesn't get better than this folks!Is there a thread where everyone's favorite mixes are discussed? I would love to see what some of you find to be perfect mixes and buy them for myself to hear.

I am blown away after hearing something like this get this kind of face lift. Although everyone hears things as they do. I hear this and I think, this is better than almost anything I have ever heard before and feels revolutionary to the art of mixing and improving how music sounds. I was literally in Aqualung world for the duration and nothing broke me out. I think you make a great point Steven there is plenty of imperfections with the original recordings (compression etc) that you can now just hear better. Take into consideration what you had to work with and what you did to it. The difference to me is jaw dropping and dramatic! Again I have heard the original album more than I care to say. The mastered dcc doesn't come close in my opinion. I know you love you dcc..but this is the mix to own.. I agree with someone who said I don't want to hear any version ever again unless it's the 5.1 blu-ray. I just could never go back. Steven I hope you can keep this going with Ian and get your hands on all the classic Tull mixes. Like Passion Play and any of the unreleased outtakes. Ian may not think they are worth selling but we will snatch them up like hotcakes.. I trust them in no other hands but yours.
    As for the piano on Locomotive, I think it's sounds wonderful. The dynamics are meant to be quiet as played in the intro which could make it sound thin possibly to someone? but to my ears it sounds how it should and better. Doubt this was used on the recording but here is a live pic of Evans piano from 1971. Looks like a grand?

[​IMG]

FVDnz likes this.
  10. tulltapes

tulltapes Forum Resident

11. You do realize that this is a music discussion forum, right?

I have hardly heard people complain about the new mix. I think pretty much everybody thinks that the new mix is well done, and it brings out some things that are not present in the same way in the original mix.

There are a few people, and it is definitely not the majority, who have mentioned that they find the new version too bright sounding. It's the way those people hear it.

If you prefer listening to music over reading the discussions, why don't you just do that. If it gives you a headache to read the discussions in this thread, I would just stop....reading.

The only thing that bothers me is the attitude of some people who cannot accept different opinions. Then often words are used that put the other opinion down, words like "nitpick" etc. We talk about the tonality of a recording/mastering, that is not nitpicking and not some "smallest detail". Nitpicking would be to complain about a typo in the artwork, but we talk about music and sound, and if some people find something too bright, why is this called nitpicking? It's called different opinion. But this world thrives on different opinions, they're a good thing.

FVDnz likes this.
  12. :D:D

13. Have we really offended anyone?

I don't understand the offended stance some of the posters here are taking, while the vast majority of critical comments (mine included) so far have been polite and backed with details about one's preferences.

Ain't discussing audio details an important part of what this here forum is about in the first place? So far we have been discussing these politely and respectfully towards and with Mr. Wilson. So if he wasn't here among us, it would then be OK?

Someone even suggested that if no one had mentionned that Peter Mew was the mastering engineer then no naysayer would be complaining about the mastering work. ...Never mind the printed credits in the booklet!..

The title of this thread is not "Express your unconditional love for the new Aqualung remix". No one is threadcrapping anything so far.

14. Amen!

15. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Well...I have the vinyl version of Heritage. It sounds real good but that doesn't change what Peter Mew did on Aqualung.

16. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I'm just telling it like it is.:thumbsdn:

17. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

There is no 4.1 track on the Aqualung Blu Ray. :help:

18. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way

Original quad mix as 4.1.
    [​IMG]

19. tootull

officially changed camps. - Just when you were doing so well. ;)

20. tonewheeltom

tonewheeltom Forum Resident

Steven, in the deluxe edition hardcover book, the page opposite your "Notes On the New Mixes" is an Island Studios 1970 press release that states Steinway pianos, a Hammond C3 organ, and a Mellotron are available in studios 1 and 2. No clarification if they are grand or upright.

I love the piano sound. I have much experience playing and recording acoustic and digital pianos, and while tracking these instruments the engineer/producer decides mic placement, eq, compression, etc. based on what else is in the mix. A rock band such as Jethro Tull in 1971 would record the piano expecting it to end up mixed to one side of the stereo field. I don't want John Evan's piano to sound like a Herbie Hancock solo piano record!

21. mongo

mongo Senior Member

Yeah this is a music discussion forum and differing opinions are what one should expect but there are a few things I've noticed around here.

Revisionism:
    For years the Beatles 87 set was pretty roundly trashed.
    Then the 09 remasters hit and slowly but pretty reliably, for some the 87 set was now somehow "better" than the 09 set.
    That's fine really but I think there is a certain segment that just can't like whatever the latest whatever is.

Someone "f'd things up":
    Sure, you may not like some aspect(s) of a new set but to be so egotistical as to post that a professional who most assuredly has far more experience, knowledge and has spent hours with the source material f'd it up makes me roll my eyes.
    I would suggest that folks try to display a modicum of appreciation for the hard work that goes into these projects. Not fanboyism.
    There's an obvious reason people like Steven Wilson and this forum's sponsor hold the positions they do, they have gobs of talent, invested countless hours learning and excelling in their craft in addition to having opinions.

Everyone has their own listening style and the way their opinion goes through iterations upon repeated listening of "new" music.
    I can never hear everything on a disc even after 3 or 4 listens.
    I tend to have a first blush of enthusiasm when something sounds great right off the bat. I also don't go into it listening for shortcomings, they become evident in the flow of things as do the little details that make listening the joy that it is.

BTW, my Aqualung finally shipped. Can't wait:thumbsup:

22. Robobrewer

I was complementing you. If large ear canals can contribute to better hearing than I think you are lucky. That is why I congratulated you.
    Like I said, I suspect it makes listening to Tull even more enjoyable.

23. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Sorry then, I thought you were being sarcastic.

24. RTurner

RTurner Senior Member

I am eagerly anticipating the arrival of my copy. I have 3 of the King Crimson DVD-A's ( In The Court, Lizard and In The Wake Of Poseidon) and they are all awesome. :edthumbs:

I wish Mr. Wilson could do some Yes or Led Zeppelin titles. :agree:

25. tootull

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.