Jethro Tull - Aqualung 40th Anniversary Special Edition (part3)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Dec 16, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

You're a good sport, Mr. Wilson. Thanks for the additional insights. Most professionals/insiders who visit here quickly throw up their hands and head for the hills. Perhaps you can see why ;)

2. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

To be clear, your remix has been winning rave reviews all around--and this is a pretty tough crowd. Some have been a lot more critical about Mew's remastering, though I think it sounds great. Thanks again for your input and all of the great work. You've really helped me to fall in love with a lot of these old classics again. I can't wait for Thick as a Brick and Lark's Tongues! Any idea when we might hope to see those?

3. Steven Wilson

Steven Wilson Member

Yep! :agree:

4. Carserguev

Carserguev Forum Resident

Thank you for the info, for taking the time to address all these issues, for your patience, and for a sterling, magical job on a beloved album of mine since I first bought it here in Madrid, Spain: a crappy-sounding Spanish vinyl in 1982 with Locomotive Breath replaced by War Child outtake Glory Row for very silly Spanish reasons... I look forward to Thick as a Brick and wish you'd do the same for all of Tull's discography!!
    Bless you, Mr. Wilson...

5. Steven Wilson

Steven Wilson Member

The best I can tell you at the moment is they will definitely come out in 2012, sorry to not be more specific!

6. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Thanks for your clarification. :cool:

7. Schmeig

Schmeig Forum Resident

Wow! Thanks for taking the time to provide this information!

As I recall, John Evan was playing an "air piano" in the photo at the center of the CD insert! :laugh:

8. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way

From this I can't tell for sure if Peter Mew mastered the 5.1, 4.1? :whistle: Stereo only? Did Peter Mew make any adjustments to the 5.1, 4.1?
    [​IMG]

9. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

The previous thread was almost universal kudos for this remix/remaster. It was inevitable that it wouldnt last lol.

Mr Wilson, thank you for kindly taking the time to post and clarify in detail. :)

10. Robobrewer

Robobrewer Forum Resident

Mr. Wilson, thank you so much for taking the time to share your views and information!!! I have read your posts with great interest.

By the way, I tested my 45 year old ears on the site you posted the link to:
    My left ear was able to hear up to 14kHz and the right was actually able to comfortably hear up to 16kHz and just possibly/faintly the 17kHz, although that could be wishful thinking.
    The 2 cats sitting next to me seem to be able to hear up to at least 22kHz. When I clicked the button one twitched his ears and the other whipped her head around and looked at me.

11. Hi Steven, I just want to say thank you for two things...the first being the incredible job you did on the 40th Box Set, and the second being for taking the time to come here and share all that you have.

I personally love the remix you did with 'Aqualung', and I prefer it to the original mix. What I especially love about the 40th Box Set, are the Surround mixes! I wouldn't part with my BluRay disc, even if my mother-in-law's life depended on it! After hearing 'Aqualung' in surround (specifically the 5.1), it's hard to listen to it any other way.

So thank you again Steven. Please keep up the good work, and please do it often!

12. Doug Sclar

Doug Sclar Forum Legend

I look forward to these but can you please also include hi-res transfers of the original mixes as was the case with Aqualung?

13. MilesSmiles

MilesSmiles Oenologist Thread Starter

Second that. :agree:

14. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

I ordered by boxset from importcds on December 2 and just got notification that it shipped today...not too shabby!

Also, Steven, thanks for coming on here and explaining in detail your approach to working on this great album. As a fan of all your projects (especially Grace For Drowning, album of the year IMO), I anxiously await your remix of Thick As A Brick, your new solo album, and a new PT album (although I'm hearing rumors that may never happen!).

15. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

:yikes: Say it ain't so Joe.

From the PT site also : 12/16/2011

Steven Wilson band tour - second leg
    ... and one of the dates will also be filmed for a Blu-Ray / DVD release.

16. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

There's been a whole bunch of rumors and confusion about this...maybe Steven can come in here and provide some clarification on the matter. While I immensely enjoy his solo material and other projects, PT just seems to hit my sweet spot in terms of all it offers melodically and sonically.

I'm psyched for the upcoming concert blu-ray of the solo gig. I saw the Philly show a month ago and it was great!

Steven, one more question...is John Wesley going to remain a member of your group for the upcoming second-leg/new album/etc?

17. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I posted in full on the Grace For Drowning thread, so as to not whizz off the Aqualungers... of which I am one. :laugh:

18. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I could hear up 16kHz and I am 57. My doctor told me I have unusually large ear canals, which may have something to do with it.

19. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Great Job Mr. Wilson... can't wait to hear Thick as a Brick.

Maybe someone should ask ELP, if you can remix ELP's first alum and Brain Salad Surgery. Just my dream.

20. rtsurroundfan

rtsurroundfan Active Member

Great! Can you give us any hints as to any other albums you're remixing (or have remixed)? Maybe some ELP?

21. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

BTW, I am listening to the surround mix now. I think it is really great. The treble doesnt' bother me as much in surround.

22. kevnhuys

kevnhuys Forum Resident

Wilson's solo album was mastered by Paschal Byrne, and Opeth's Heritage was mastered by...Peter Mew.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heritage_(Opeth_album)

23. RTurner

RTurner Senior Member

I just received a 'shipped' notice from importcds for the deluxe box. Wish me luck!! :laugh:

24. Cardanken

Cardanken Hyperactive!

I've really enjoyed listening to this album for the first time in my life this past week, that's right, first time. I'd heard the "radio" songs my whole life on Classic FM and never really cared much about them. Thanks to you all on this forum for sparking an interest in me to buy it, and of course to the folks behind this 40th Anniversary release for making such a fine sounding cd, I now cannot get this music out of my head. It kicks A$$.

So thank you Steve Hoffman Forum members, Steve Wilson and company, Jethro Tull and last but not least, Sierra Nevada for the fine Torpedo Extra IPA ale, of which I am now on #3. I think I will now go crank Aqualung....again.

25. This entire thread has gone WAY beyond a joke and is driving me absolutely f'ing mental. Poor Steven Wilson must be wondering what on earth he has struck here. The DCC is good the new remix is good - I know as I have both of them. All you obsessive compulsives pick one, any one, sit down take a deep breath and enjoy the great music on this classic album. Bludy 'ell! Over and out. :sigh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.