Jethro Tull - Aqualung 40th Anniversary Special Edition (part2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Nov 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. I've been listening to this 'Aqualung' package for over a week now, and i just can't get enough of it, or say how incredible it is, enough times. Whether it be the 2 CD's, the DVD-Audio, the Vinyl LP, or the Blu Ray, there's just so much to love about it. I've been giving the Pink Floyd 'WYWH' Immersion Box set some listening time too, and while I understand they're completely different beasts, the 'WYWH' seems like a dud in comparison to the 'Aqualung' 40th set. In My Humble Opinion of course.

2. jeighson1

jeighson1 Forum Resident

3. jeighson1

jeighson1 Forum Resident

Well, the lush seperation unfolds you...

4. Terry

Terry Senior Member

Not a dud; however, I agree with your Aqualung enthusiasm.

5. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I haven't picked up the WYWH set yet but I do agree with you 100% in regards to the Aqualung set. One of my favorite boxes that I bought in quite some time. I have the DSOTM box so I'll probably get the WYWH set too.

6. marblesmike

marblesmike Forum Resident

...That's because SW didn't mix the WYWH discs :)

7. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident

I've never seen the fuss over remastering. Some people go wild over a tiny increase of bass or treble. I can hear a mild difference in sound. Some songs sound better and some songs seem to sound not as good as older album versions after my first listen. For such minimal sound difference we get comments such as 'the 25th ann. version made me vomit, it was putrid' or ' this 40 ann. version is unbelievable, it's as if i've won a million dollars, the change in sound is unheard of'. I usually just adjust my bass and treble knobs and would usually be just as happy ;)

Anyway this is a great package for a new fan because it most importantly covers every song from 1971, although I still wish they added the quad versions to the 2 cd version. My fave tull songs from 1971 are and always have been(in no real order):

aqualung
    cheap day return
    cross eyed mary
    up the pool
    wondring aloud
    from later
    dr bogenbroom
    life is a long song
    locomotive breath(quad)
    mother goose
    wondring again
    hymn 43(thanks to the remix)
    up to me

Hymn 43 is a new addition to my faves, it was borderline before but the remix improved this tune. Just trying to be is another fave but I consider that part of Benefit. My god still is boring to me and Wind up is improved in the early version but those 2 songs are still close to the bottom 2 songs from 1971 for me.

8. My bad. I should have clarified in my post, that I was referring to the 'WYWH' packaging, and contents (the gimmicks, like the marbles, scarf, coasters, etc.), not the actual sound quality of the discs.

9. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

Have to agree, although I wouldn't use the word "dud". I am liking the WYWH but I wish I has gotten it first. Everything seems a bit of a let down after hearing this set.

10. wavelength

wavelength Forum Resident

You can download the remaster? What exactly do you mean by that?

11. wavelength

I understand the value of a dollar. I have to pick and choose too. There are lots of things I pass on.

12. rpd

rpd Senior Member

Best buy will match amazon price

13. rpd

rpd Senior Member

I love this set. I was not expecting much from the vinyl, but even that is excellent. Mine is very quiet too...

14. Graboid

Graboid Senior Member

I haven't read all of the posts in this thread, so I'm sorry if this has been discussed, but are we ever going to be able to buy just the surround disc from this set? I'm sorry but I have Steve Hoffman's wonderful mastering of the original album and all I want is the Steve Wilson surround disc. I have absolutely no need for the vinyl. And $125 is too steep for me.

15. tyinkc

tyinkc Senior Member

Absolutely fabulous! Never heard the vinyl sound this good, the CD's of alternate takes are interesting and the Blue Ray is excellent. All in all, a stellar presentation and well worth the money.

16. I'd be interested in how the vinyl compares to the Classic 45rpm reissue.
    I'm not that interested in the blue ray etc but if the lp in the box is a huge improvement on the Classic I'd be sorely tempted.

17. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

Don't know about the Classic Records 45rpm pressing but it's much better than my Classic Records 200g 33 reissue. You have to hear it to believe it.

18. wavelength

There are 2 surround discs - a dvd and a blu-ray but either way who knows? The record company hasn't said anything about that. And it's unlikely that they will say anything while the boxset is on sale.

19. fmuakkassa

fmuakkassa Dr. M

I just got my copy today. I listened to it and compared it to the 45 RPM classic and it is much better. Clearer sound, deeper and tighter base and the vinyl is very quite compared to the 45 RPM classic.

I also have the DCC, MSFL and UK original LPs (all in NM conditions) and the latest mastering tops them all.

20. zbinks

zbinks Forum Resident

I was pretty sure that someone in this thread had posted that EMI had advised that there were no plans for an individual release of the vinyl or the Blu-Ray.

21. peteham

peteham Senior Member

Peter Mew is reborn!

22. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

The operative words were "at the moment". You know record companies...
    I guess there'll be a stand-alone BR release in a couple of years.

23. kiddo4

kiddo4 Forum Resident

I think in this case even the 2CD edition tops every past vinyl edition... It's just a different and much better mix. The original one was always... Ehh.... not that great.. :)

24. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

EMI really redeemed themselves here. We went from the 25th anniversary CD, which was a travesty beyond words, to the 40th anniversary deluxe box, which is stellar. What a difference 15 years makes. ;)

25. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

I think that the 5.1 PCM sounds much better than the DTS HDMaster Audio. :shh:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.