Jethro Tull - Aqualung 40th Anniversary Special Edition (part2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Nov 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yardbird

Yardbird Forum Resident

I got my 2cd copy today - Steve Wilson did a great job. This makes a great album even better

2. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I'll bet this is one time you are happy to be wrong! Indeed...I'm hoping they get their stock in soon as well!:righton:

3. steveharris

steveharris Senior Member

I got mine today.It sounds great,but I have not had a chance to blast it loud yet while everyone else here is focused into their football games.

Do you think they could do the Beatles remixed and mastered like this too?

4. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident

Would have been cool if Aqualung was a double album to begin with. The 40 year 2 cd version has plenty of great tunes

5. ribors

ribors Forum Resident

I think talk of a "sell out" is premature. It's been out less than a week, after all. Import CD's had a great price that was $30 under Amazon's best price, so it's no surprise their initial allotment is gone; no other vendors have backordered. There's been no suggestion this is a limited edition and even if for some reason its so popular and it sells out of its initial run, there's no way EMI is going to leave money on the table and not have another production run (the profit margin is I'm sure is very good).

I hope it does well so we can expect more than just this release and TAAB, though I wonder if we'll see this or any future releases at as good as Import's intial price again.

6. Michael

Steven Wilson...PLEASE suggest a DELUXE Jethro Tull-Benefit Album box set!
    I'm blown away with your remix...I normally loathe remixes, but you have done incredible work on Aqualung. Bravo!

7. grbl

grbl Just Lurking

YES PLEASE!!!!! I would kill for that and Minstrel.

8. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

Benefit badly needs a remix also. SH started preparatory work on this, but I think the original master stereo is MIA. It has always been a muddy mess (Island UK vinyl, The Originals CD set, the remastered CD) and really needs a bottom end and a decent drum mix (sounds just like what Aqualung needed).

9. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

You are absolutely correct about the "loud noise" that I have repeatedly referred to. It is NOT "all over the place" but it is isolated to the exact places that you mentioned. The reason why I was so mellodramatic about it is because it happens at some very personally crucial moments in My God, but I still wonder what the source of this noise is. You are the only other other person that has commented on it, and again that is another reason why I emphasied the point; just to get other comments. :cool:

10. Michael

absolutely! Steven Wilson would have access to the multies...that would Benefit Benefit indeed.:D

11. Michael

hopefully Steven can give us an an answer to this.:)

12. Laservampire

Laservampire Down with this sort of thing

I'm a bit happier about the noises on the original mix then, as I'm not a huge fan of "My God" :righton:

13. street legal

street legal Senior Member

Is the original mix included anywhere other than the BluRay on this set? Is the vinyl the original mix as well?

14. joepepitone

joepepitone Forum Resident

What do the likes of Clive Bunker, John Evan and Jeffrey Hammond earn on a release of this nature? For that matter, what do Ian and Martin earn?

15. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

Probably nothing unless they have songwriting credit. I'm sure they've been bought out long, long ago.

16. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

Steven had nothing to do with the inclusion of the original mix. He did not master this new set, he only created the new stereo and 5.1 mixes.

He may have connections to ask others about where this aberration in the transfer of the original mix to blu-ray came from, so maybe you are right?

17. zbinks

zbinks Forum Resident

No. The original mix is only available on the Blu-Ray. The vinyl is sourced from Steven Wilson's remix.

18. Schmeig

Schmeig Forum Resident

Thanks for the reassurance. What you say makes sense. I hope you are right on all accounts.

I did pick up the 2-CD set today. It is a nice package in its own right. Even in the car on the way home, I noticed some differences in the mix from what I remember of the LP. First impression on the sound quality is positive. Looking forward to giving the whole thing a good listen tonight.

19. kevin

kevin Senior Member

How about a deluxe version of Bursting Out with extra tracks from the tour it was taken from and a 5.1 remix?

20. Michael

I am.:)

21. Michael

a missed opportunity and ball buster, but typical label shenanigans...why did they leave it off the DVD? because they can.:D

for the list price they should have included it on CD as well...

22. Michael

Benefit and Aqualung share equal space in my love for those albums...I fondly remember back in the day when I wore those 2 albums out...

23. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way

24. LordThanos1969

LordThanos1969 Forum Resident

Of course, some box sets like the 40th Anniversary Super Deluxe Live at Leeds and Layla are gone forever...

25. Michael

how long was it around for sale?:wave:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.