Jethro Tull - Aqualung 40th Anniversary Special Edition (part2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Nov 5, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WPLJ

WPLJ Forum Resident

Quad was a competing audio format in the early-mid 70s. Four discreet channels of sound as opposed to two (stereo). Yes, bespoke equipment (turntable, quad amp) was required -- and still would be -- to play back quad LPs. The quad mixes on the Floyd and Tull DVDs and Blu-rays will play back on a surround sound system, just in four speakers (no sub, no centre channel), like they would have done in the 70s.

More in-depth info here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quadraphonic_sound

2. simon-wagstaff

simon-wagstaff Forum Resident

I would like to get the blu-ray separate from the box set. Seems quite silly. I did listen to the new mix/mastering last night from the CD. I was truly stunned, it almost sounds like a different album, in such a good way! it has a totally different, improved vibe to it.

3. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

Buy the set & sell what you don't want! Simple. :winkgrin:

4. One_L

One_L Forum Resident

How does the vinyl of this release compare to earlier pressings or even the Classic Records reissues?

5. Marvin

Marvin Senior Member

Except most likely everyone will be selling the same components of the set.

6. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

Yes, I absolutely love it. I have only heard the LPCM 5.1 and the LPCM 24/96 Steve Wilson 2.0 remix and the LPCM straight transfer of the original 2.0 mix; I have not listened to the LPCM quad or any of the DTS HDMaster Audio tracks. The new 5.1 mix is very good, it sacrifices a little slam and dynamic range for an immersive effect, but it is a fair trade off. The new stereo mix is great; it is phenomenal. Has anybody else listened to the original stereo mix on the Blu Ray?

7. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

:shrug:

Let me say AGAIN this Deluxe Box is worth every penny and I do hope Mr. Wilson takes a break from creating his own music a bit and churns out a few more like this one! Thank You again for ending my misery with previous editions.

8. kevin

kevin Senior Member

The DTS HD MA 5.1 version sounds better than the LPCM 5.1 version imho[the music in the LPCM version seems to be behind the vocals while the music in the DTS HD MA version's on equal footing to the vocals imho].

9. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

I do not understand what you are saying. They are the same mix, what could possibly be the difference. Maybe your player is not decoding the LPCM layer properly, because the high resolution LPCM sounds phenomenal on my Oppo; clear, articulate, and well defined.

10. CBC

CBC Forum Resident

Amen!!:righton::righton:

11. Schmeig

Schmeig Forum Resident

AAARRRGHH! :realmad: I can't stand waiting for my Import CDs order to get shipped. I'm considering heading to the store to pick up the 2-CD set at least so I can finally hear this wondrous version. I figure I can then give either that or the 2-CD set in the box as a gift. Can someone please tell me whether the 2-CD set in the box comes sealed inside the box (shrink-wrapped, etc.) and would make a suitable gift?

12. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

I was more specific than that. I said that in this case, a record company listened to the consumers who took the time to tell it what they wanted (a high-resolution disc of the stereo and surround mixes) included in this release. The main points that I was stressing are:
    (1) The only relevant place to take your requests is directly to the record company. If you don't say something to them, they won't hear you.
    (2) Dear Record Company, look how many people are happy that you included what they asked for. You listened, and it's appreciated (or to put it in more relevant terms, it's profitable).
    As for buying a complete package of vinyl and disc, it's somewhat like getting your useless brother-in-law in the marriage, few people buy both formats, they've decided between the two and buy accordingly to their choice. I sure as hell don't need a bag of marbles and whatever other dime-store crap you can stuff into a box, but if you know what you want and don't want, make sure they know that too. It's like people who don't vote and then bitch about the way things are, when you don't make your voice heard where it needs to be heard, you've effectively endorsed the way things are.

13. I'm sorry... I just don't get most of your point. The record companies listen to some consumers concerning format content, but ignore others who request they don't bundle digital and vinyl (and other dime store crap)? I guess they are to be applauded with one hand, and scolded with the other. I have voted with my wallet in this case and picked up the 2 disk set which I got for a reasonable $15.99 at Newbury Comics. Unless they sell the Bluray separately at some future time I will do without.

14. uffeolby

uffeolby Senior Member

Sorry for you - no it doesn't! All four digital discs comes in separate hard paper sleeves with no shrink-wrapping etc. When you see the box yourself, my guess is that you will not "butcher" it in the way you are thinking of. It is a piece of art really, in addition to the superb sound and mixes already mentioned by so many.

15. Schmeig

Schmeig Forum Resident

Thanks for the response. I'll probably still pick up the 2-CD set for the car, maybe give it to a friend after the box arrives. I'd probably spring for the box on Amazon, who seem to have it in stock but the price at Import CDs is now about $40 less. Guess I'll wait a while longer to see if they actually get it in stock.

16. Jim N.

Jim N. 2024 is 1968 sans the great music

If the drop in price still holds with Import CD's then you make a great point.

I'm starting to wonder if it's an aberration, though. It does not look like other vendors are discounting it to that degree. Import CD's still lists it for 73 bucks but with an out of stock until 12/2 notation. They also list the 2 CD set for 11.19 but out of stock as well.

Amazon's up to 115 bucks. Deep Discount DVD has it for 111 bucks (hmmm). So, it's from 1.85 to 1.92 in SHM SACD equivalencies ;-).

Amazon marketplace sellers have it from 124 to 260 (!!) dollars!

17. Schmeig

Schmeig Forum Resident

Yeah, I am really beginning to wonder about this as well, and whether Import CDs will ever get enough stock to cover their orders. I ordered this back on October 26; hopefully early enough. When I e-mailed them on the release date they did say they delivered on earlier orders, and that they expected to fill mine in a week or two. No word from them yet. We'll see. I'm a bit concerned with all the glowing reviews this might sell out, even at over $100.

18. TheMaestro335

TheMaestro335 Forum Resident

Interesting, the blueray web site said they prefer the LPCM version? I have only listened to the Dts master and I really enjoyed it. I guess I will listen to the LPCM and compare it?

19. Lord Hawthorne

Yes, that's true. In this case, the campaign was to include a high-res disc, there wasn't a request for a standalone release. There's still time to ask that too.

20. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

I just finished listening to the original mix flat transfer on the blu-ray and yes indeed, during the song My God, there are a few crackling noises (which sound like tape overload) occurring and then a real loud crackle noise that lasts no longer than a second in the right channel. Compared to the level of the music, though, the loud crackle was much louder than the music.

I only heard the noise on the one track, My God, and it lasted no more than a few seconds at most. So I was surprised you mention it as "all of that real loud noise"... since it really was "all" - just a bit.

I am not sure it was on the tape they used or not, probably something happened during the transfer of the original mix or such.

It didn't last that long, but it was an "unpleasant" noise. If it is a defect in the mastering or transfer of the original mix to 96/24 or in the blu-ray authoring/mastering, I wonder if they ever deem it necessary to have it fixed?

Also in the other thread rockman said:

Again the "electrical" noise I heard was only a few seconds in part of My God and although somewhat "jarring", did not ruin the album and make the "whole flat transfer unlistenable". And how is the menu music annoying? The menu music are merely snippets of different parts of songs from Aqualung. Yes it repeats over and over, but then again how is it annoying?

21. Lord Hawthorne

I neglected to add "on future releases", but who know what could be possible if this run sells out.

22. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

I believe you are wrong....

from Import CD site:

Out of Stock

On Sale Until 12/2

23. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

we can always look forward to the Chinese Pirate copy!...can you imagine?

panic...learn from the Beatles MONO bullcrap!...ain't no limited edition here....just like the King Crimson box was over a hundred dollars last year can now be had for under fifty...

relax....

24. Jim N.

Jim N. 2024 is 1968 sans the great music

That I am. I mis-read it. That's good news, though. If they are still taking orders at that price then they must have secured more copies!

25. wavelength

wavelength Forum Resident

And the reason for this was that back at the time, in June, it wasn't an issue. Steven Wilson posted that he was making a 5.1 of Aqualung and that it would not be hi-rez even though he had asked the company to do so. We started emailing to the company about getting the hi-rez. The company never said anything about a boxset. If the company was planning a boxset at that point they gave absolutely no indication of that. All they were saying is no hi-rez. We asked for it and they produced it. In that sense it is beautiful and definetly a victory. It was a campaign and it worked. If there are other concerns then another campaign is required.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.