Jethro Tull Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tootull, Jun 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way Thread Starter

Living With The Past 2002 Jethro Tull Christmas Album 2003 Rupi's Dance 2003

A triple treat! Terrific stuff!

2. tootull

My wife loves Jethro Tull, too. I'm married to a music lover. Heaven, I'm in heaven. :D

Leslie K Crosby likes this.
  3. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

"Money can't buy me love"...

...but it can be (heh) rented!;)

I recently got a copy of Living in the Past on CD (old, unremastered Chrysalis version) for about the price of a cup of coffee; how is this CD viewed by the panel?("We occasionally cut off his fingernails and smoke them")

Cheers
    Bruce (lifelong bachelor)

4. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

Jeez - just noticed this text in the booklet of my copy of Aqualung: "Aqualung has been mastered using the Prism Sound Super-Noise-Shaping System." ...So that's why this thing sounds so lifeless...:(

5. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

Beg, borrow, steal, or simply buy a copy of the DCC Aqualung. It is SOOOOO much better than the copy you have!

6. Mike B

Mike B Forum Resident

I think I've heard my fair share of DCC gold CDs and of course they're great but not all are THAT much better than other versions out there.

Aqualung, however, is the one rock DCC gold CD I've heard that any fan absolutely must have- not just because it's great, but because every other CD versions just stinks. How horrendous that one has to work so hard and pay so much to hear a solid sounding version of such a popular album.

7. JWB

JWB New Member

It's more than lifeless. It's one of the worst CD's ever released.

8. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

In a Tull mood at the moment...

I found a copy of the original Chrysalis CD today for about the price of a Starbucks Venti Mocha, so we'll be listening to that this evening on the Naim kit; I can't afford what I've seen the DCC going for on the Internet. :(

BTB, I also got a dub of Passion Play as well; I'm listening to that right now - haven't heard it in three decades, it's great (I will be buying the proper CD, at full retail if nec.)! Lyrics may confuse some critics, I suppose that's why it got shellacked back in the day; they're hilarious, though! From this album, you can hear where Gentle Giant got some of the instrumental approach on their mid-70's stuff. This will be heresy to some, but I actually prefer PP to Thick as a Brick...!

Cheers
    Bruce

9. JWB

JWB New Member

The original CD of "Aqualung" is pretty bad too. Get a "copy" of the DCC Aqualung any way you can, most people here can't afford an original either.

10. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

The thing I hate most about the "re-master" is that I can hear the !@#$ing "noise shaping software" doing it's thing: the leading edges (and trailing edges, for that matter) are planed off, like turning an expensive steak cleaver into a butterknife...

11. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

...and the 90's remaster is on the "to sell or trade" pile. While the original CD is not the last word in the Aqualung reproduction business, at least it sounds like music being played with that inimitable Tull spirit again.

12. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

Its very good. It sounds good even against the expensive MFSL gold set. Really. Not quite as rich and detailed - its one of the best early CD releases of Tull.

13. bhazen

bhazen GOO GOO GOO JOOB

:nauga: :nauga: :nauga:

14. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Me too! By a lot, actually.

15. tootull

16. tootull

Sound & Vision July/August 2006

page 38 -Ian Anderson comments on the future of recorded music.
    (strange IMO drawing of Ian Anderson included)

- page 26 "Save the Album?" "Thick As A Brick" pictured and mentioned. :)

:D

17. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever

I started with Warchild when it was first released. Was hooked by Skating away on the Think Ice of a New Day. I liked what I heard so much that I started working my way backwards from there. Too Old to Rock and Roll was also difficult for me but it has really grown on me over the years. I really appreciate it now.
    I own all of their studio releases on vinyl and/or CD. My most collected band.

18. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

Yep. That was always my favorite song too! Then, I found out what made it so great. It was a leftover from the pre-Passion Play sessions in late 1972.

19. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever

Is there another version of the song from the 1972 period, perhaps with a different title?

20. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

No, it's the same version. The one on Warchild was recorded in Dec. 1972. The only difference is that "Skating Away," when heard in context of the original Chateau D'Isaster tapes, begins with a fade-out of another song; "No Rehearsal" if I recall, then it segues into the song "Sailor."

21. tootull

Ian Anderson Plays Jethro Tull

:edthumbs: 2CD set. This is very good - New to me - I'm slightly impressed.

22. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I saw Tull play with an orchestra at Tangle Woods and it was GREAT! They had Martin's guitar low in the mix but it was really a treat hearing those great arrangements.

23. MITBeta

MITBeta New Member

24. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I am surprised that Ian said this. I remember being able to sit through out the whole concert without standing, and never felt annoyed by anyone in the audience. Actually for a Tull concert it was rather subdued. Ian never appeared to be annoyed. But yeah, it was billed as Jethro Tull concert. What does Ian expect? Us boorish Tull fans made him a rich man, who the hell did he think was going to drive 2 hours to see him, the stuffed shirts that usually attend Symphony Hall concerts? BTW, they were selling beer and T-shirts at the venue.

25. Elegy

Elegy Forum Resident

Ian's interests clearly lie somewhere else.

As much as I would like a new Jethro Tull studio album (other than that Christmas album), the prospects grow dimmer and dimmer with each passing year.

TooTull: That Ian Anderson thing came out last year. I'm surprised it took you this long to find it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.