Jethro Tull Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tootull, Jun 21, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way Thread Starter

maddogfagin originally posted:
    "Latest issue of Record Collector in the "In The Pipeline" column: Jethro Tull Stand Up 3-CD (EMI) (7/6)"

That's all I've read so far.

2. tootull

3. tootull

A review to celebrate - Life's long celebration's here.

Music Review: Jethro Tull - Songs From The Wood (1977) May 03, 2010
    Read more: http://blogcritics.org/music/article/music-review-jethro-tull-songs-from/#ixzz0msd3sm2y

Read more: http://blogcritics.org/music/article/music-review-jethro-tull-songs-from/#ixzz0msdLR9Hz

4. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever

This one's going to have to wait. I finally purchased the MFSL Stand Up. It was a long time coming but this one I'll savour!:agree:

5. tootull

Stand Up

Love my MFSL. The original US CD is not too shabby, too. One problem with the 2001 remaster is that the hiss is reduced killing the open feel of the MFSL, hope this type of mastering is not repeated.

6. tootull

Music Review: Jethro Tull - Heavy Horses May 05, 2010:

7. Dr. Bogenbroom

Dr. Bogenbroom I'm not a Dr. but I play one on SteveHoffman.TV

Interesting read. The author claims it's Tull at their finest, yet he rates it a notch below SFTW? I, of course, agree with the majority of it :D (except that notch part ;)).

8. fatman2

fatman2 New Member

I agree, Jason. The two albums are both sublime, it's really difficult to rate one above the other. I used to give SFTW a miniscule edge, but in recent years I favor HH, but just by a hair. I think overall I like Martin's electric guitar better on HH than on SFTW. I also love the imagery on Horses. It is a very artistic album.

It's kind of futile to pick which one is better....similar to Brick and Passion Play...both are just superb!

Jeff

9. fatman2

fatman2 New Member

I am so happy that I purchased all the MFSL CDs when they came out, Stand Up, Brick, Passion Play, War Child, LITP and SFTW! Best of all I think is LITP, because it is the one edition that contains everything that is scattered around the multiple LITP releases. Sound quality on all of them is far better than many of the "too trebly" remasters.

Also, I think they are worth like $200 apiece now.....not that I would ever sell them for any amount!

Jeff

10. tootull

Cool! I collected them all & like them all. The two that stand out for me, I absolutely love the sound of the MFSL A Passion Play & WarChild.

Music Review: Jethro Tull - Stormwatch May 06, 2010

11. Hi to all.:wave:

:edthumbs::edthumbs: Only one day to the my next second JETHRO TULL SHOW this year !!!!! :righton::righton: ( Genova, Italy ). M.

12. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

How about a review when you can. I've seen Tull numerous times since the 70's. Although the last time I saw was with ELP and then I think Procol Harum and that was in the 90's. I sure would like to see them again.

13. Hi Todd W
    My last J.T show was last March in Manchester. An extremely good concert. I 've appreciated it a lot. The only thing i could complain is the set list in my humble opinion a bit too " slow ". I mean i 've felt the lack of pieces like " Hunt by Numbers " or " ***** Willow ", i mean a bit more animated than some others. But i can assure it worths, anyway!!! This next one will be my J.T show nr.35 / 38 about, i missed the count..:wave:M.

14. rbbert

rbbert Forum Resident

I have an old import 3 CD box with the first three albums in gatefold sleeves. That version of Stand Up is mastered louder than the MFSL but doesn't seem noticeably more compressed (I haven't ripped to check for sure.) In fact, I think it sounds slightly better. Anyone else here have this box?

15. tootull

16. vinyl diehard

vinyl diehard Two-Channel Forever

Absolutely love the MFSL Stand Up that I recently purchased. Worth the wait and the money! I'll have to be stolid in my hunt for more JT MFSL titles. :wave:

17. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Looks like you have "The Originals" box, am I right?

I don't have it unfortunately.

18. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

The Originals - beautiful cover presentation, denoised but not maximized. Also includes the "Stand Up" stand up gatefold. I prefer the sound of the remasters to this set. The MoFi Stand Up sounds much better. Nothing will rescue Benefit - IMHO, it's as much like an aural fail as Aqualung. This Was sounds reasonable here, but not as good as the remaster or the (remixed stereo) DE. In short, cover presentation is excellent, but the sound has been beaten elsewhere.

19. tootull

Classic album: Stand Up
    http://www.californiachronicle.com/articles/yb/144891243

Music Review: Jethro Tull - Under Wraps May 16, 2010
    http://blogcritics.org/music/article/music-review-jethro-tull-under-wraps/

20. Hi to All.:)
    As i told days ago, i went with some friends to the Genova' s Tull show.
    Here we have the set list :

Dun Ringill
    Beggar ' s Farm
    Life is a Long Song
    Jack in the Green
    Eurology
    Nothin is easy
    A New Day Yesterday
    Songs from the Woods
    Crossed eyed Mary
    Hare in the Wine Cup
    Bouree
    - 20 minutes pause-
    Past time in Good Company
    A Change of Horses
    My God
    Budapest
    Aqualung
    Locomotive Breath

What can i say? The show surprised me very much. The one i saw in March i' ve appreciated a lot, but it seemed to me a bit " slow ",i thought then. Friday evening J. T was in an huge good shape. The set list got little differences that made it so pleasant. I really love the show starting out with Ian alone sitting on a tall chair singing Dun Ringill with water sound. Really moving. :) Songs as BF, LiaLS, aNDY, Bouree, Aqualung, Lb were played in a beautyful way. Eurology, i' m not able to get it out of my head. aCoH every time i listen to that, it reminds me a song which i really love: a Better Moon, somehow. the new entry HitWC a deep atmosphere song. PTiGC...beautiful. Ian' s voice, i believe he did a little cure because i ' ve found it very stable all along the show :righton:. Like some other times, he met some little difficult singins SFtW and JitG, as well. i can't understand why ever to carry on with that pieces..:shake: Ah!,a lovely version of Budapest. No Doane' s drum solo this time. I haven' t got any picture to show because my camera is far, togheter with someone very young of my family :mad: You see, no respect, i'm considered me Too Old to Rock and Rool, it's clear....:agree: Some friends of mine did it, i will be posting when available.:agree:
    Ian is famous as a great musicians, and because of his strong personalyty, too. I believe Genova won't be visited by J.T for a long time, in the future due to a bad event happened at the very last part of the show, performing Locom
    Breath. A young boy jumped on the stage, half nacked, not in good conditions
    letting the security staff away from him and staring several seconds not more than two meter close to Ian, that's the most serious fact, before being caught...DHUR!!
    Exept that, an extremely good show, much balanced i'm very happy for them, and i thank a lot for theyr engagement. I'm m sure Ian and all the boys love theyr Fans. M.:)

21. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

Thanks Chea,
    I was the guy asking for this. I'm sure others will be pleased. I can't help loving the concerts staples like New Day, Nothing is Easy and Mary. Beggar's Farm and My God are also favorites.

22. OnTheRoad

OnTheRoad Not of this world

Yes, I have it. It came out in '97 I believe, yep. Here's one for sale (used), and it's apparently quite the collector's item. Even as an import, I don't think I paid more than $20-$25 for it back then.

http://www.ecrater.com/product.php?pid=2802751#

[​IMG]

The discs sound very good to me, decent masterings.

23. tootull

Grazie, Chea. :cool:
    More Chea, eh!:
    The Jethro Tull Board
    http://thejethrotullboard.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=tours&thread=884&page=1
    Jethro Tull Fan Forum
    http://jethrotull.proboards.com/index.cgi?action=display&board=tour&thread=13&page=1

(required Canadian content) LOL
    What will become of the watcher - Whatever will happen to his soul - What will become of the watcher - When the band packs up - When the lights go out - When the band packs up and goes home
    (B. Wallace - B. Cummings) - The Guess Who

24. tootull

25. tootull

Music Review: Jethro Tull - Crest Of A Knave May 19, 2010
    Read more: http://blogcritics.org/music/article/music-review-jethro-tull-crest-of/#ixzz0oNhSxVZJ

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.