Jethro Tull Appreciation Thread (part2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jun 6, 2011.

1. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way

The anniversary of the album Jethro Tull «Thick as a Brick»
    Годовщина выхода альбома Jethro Tull « Thick as a Brick »
    Date: March 10, 2016
    Author: Anton Rasplyuev
    Source: Beatles.ru
    Subject: Jethro Tull

[​IMG] translated fun;

March 10, 1972 released the album JETHRO TULL «Thick as a Brick»

The fifth studio album by the minstrels of rock 'n' roll was a semblance of a continuous suite, consisting of two parts, each part of innovatively took an entire side of a vinyl record.

Music disc ranges from folk motifs Elizabethan times to the marches and characteristic dzhetrotallovskih moves and combined hoax: it was announced that the album is based on the poem 8-year-old prodigy Gerald Bostoka "dumb like a cork."

Hoaxes aggravated plate envelope in the form of newspaper (or rather, a parody of such) of a typical provincial British town, containing dom.hozyaykam tips polit.publikatsii and sensations such as bank robbery and arrest car thief.

Also, the newspaper contained an article about said Gerald Bostock, who was awarded the first prize in a literary competition organized by the British newspaper among schoolchildren. However, after hundreds of protests and threats, it was decided to disqualify Bostoka: jury explained that "in spite of the ability to poetry and a high intellectual level, the young poet's mind is seriously injured, and he needs psychiatric treatment, because it incorrectly refers to the school of God, and country. "

Poem Bostoka expressed hostility and even protest against the many phenomena: parents, school, church, and society as a whole.

I.Anderson: "It was a time of conceptual albums. In 1972, we released their version of a concept album in the satirical spirit. We deliberately mocked the genre. So we did something bloated, slightly surreal and absurd. That's how we were fooling around and makes fun about two years - in 1972 and 1973 (LP «A Passion Play»).

Genre prog rock initially earned its share of critics. He was considered very ambitious, pompous. Therefore, it is appropriate to have some fun and would sneer. I think in the «Thick as a Brick» and we were able to do both. We all played frankly and jiving, joking over the genre of thematic album, but at least 50% of students did not understand the humor - they thought it was grand and very serious work. "

Today «Thick as a Brick» with its mind-boggling Diversity and melodic sound palette is classic: JETHRO TULL demonstrated that can easily compete with any monster prog rock of the era.

At the same time, despite the irony, the album contains a lot of valuable thoughts as musical and philosophical, veiled in TULL style under the frivolous manner of execution.

[​IMG]

Todd W. likes this.
  2. tootull

3. shadlet

shadlet Forum Resident

Re: The Best Of Acoustic Jethro Tull; specifically Jack A Lynn - I'm really enjoying this compilation now, following Thanksgiving.
    Ian's liner notes say this version of the song is lifted from the 25th Anniversary Box, which I do not have. But, I have the 20 Years Box, 1988, which has a completely different, keyboard-led version, now on the Expanded Broadsword.
    Does 25th Box give any details on the re-recording of the 1993 acoustic-led version? The wiki on the 25th Box lists it among The Beacons Bottom Tapes, some of which are live. The Acoustic Tull is mastered by the notorious Mr. Mew but Jack A Lynn is a beautiful song IMO. Members seem to either love it or hate it. My apologies if this has been discussed before.

squittolo and Keith V like this.
  4. tootull

5. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

6. JAG

JAG Forum Professor with Tenure

string quartets ranking is not right...is it jethro tull? its a compilation too...roots to branches too high also, the rest seem ok to me

tootull likes this.
  7. Dr. Bogenbroom

Dr. Bogenbroom I'm not a Dr. but I play one on SteveHoffman.TV

tootull and Pete Puma like this.
  8. tootull

03. Heavy Horses (1978)
    My wife will be happy with this.
    04. Minstrel in the Gallery (1975)
    This should be at three. :laugh:

freemanl, Dr. Bogenbroom and JAG like this.
  9. Rodney Toady

Rodney Toady Waste of cyberspace

I know I'm in the minority, but I've never really understood the overwhelming consensus concerning the ranking of Aqualung. It's a good album, all right, but there are several better ones in the Tull catalogue in my opinion. I don't think it would make my Tull Top 10.

Siegmund likes this.
  10. Yankeefan01

Yankeefan01 Forum Resident

No way Thick as a Brick should be ahead of Aqualung!

keyXVII likes this.
  11. Rigsby

Rigsby Forum Resident

Agreed that's way off. But then I really like Under Wraps so I was predisposed to dislike it from the get go!

Instant Dharma likes this.
  12. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Me too. There are a couple of songs on there I cant get out if my head for days upon listening.

Rigsby likes this.
  13. tootull

14. tootull

JETHRO TULL's IAN ANDERSON Praises EDENSONG - By Prog Sphere on May 17, 2017
    New York based prog band Edensong, recently called “a great example of contemporary Progressive Rock” by Jethro Tull‘s Ian Anderson, is heading out on a North American tour next week with Detroit’s Imminent Sonic Destruction. This will be Edensong‘s first tour in support of their newest album, the critically acclaimed Years in the Garden of Years (2016, Laser’s Edge).

Ian’s quote, which appears in the News Section of JethroTull.com, is “Edensong are a great example of the contemporary face of Progressive Rock. Detailed and energetic performances with heavy guitars, which give way to subtle blends of dynamic variation.

[​IMG]

squittolo likes this.
  15. BwanaBob

BwanaBob Forum Resident

It's not a rerecording, it's the demo version.

16. tootull

17. Unfortunately that is not a plus when the song stuck in your head is annoying -like Lap of Luxury for example. AIMHO.

18. The version in the Best of Acoustic Tull is a re-recording from the Beacons Bottom Tapes session. The demo is currently only available on the Rocks On The Road single CD.

tootull likes this.
  19. BwanaBob

BwanaBob Forum Resident

I stand corrected - thanks.

Pete Puma likes this.
  20. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

European Legacy is my jam. Actually I dig the whole album pretty much

tootull likes this.
  21. gkella

gkella Glen Kellaway From The Basement

I also love Best of Acoustic....the SQ is outstanding as well...

tootull likes this.
  22. tootull

Yeah, Under Wraps well played here. :uhhuh:
    [​IMG]

23. European Legacy and Under Wraps Pt. 2 are all I listen anymore from that disk.:tiphat:

24. irid

irid Member

I am a big appreciator and I have always defended all their albums up through Stormwatch (anything pre-1980, then) but for many years the only Tull I ever pull out to listen to are the first three albums. I dig many songs peppered throughout their later work, but This Was, Stand Up and Benefit have the most staying power for me.