Jethro Tull Appreciation Thread (part2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jun 6, 2011.

1. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way

...and today the Grammy story continues.

http://www.montrealmirror.com/wp/2012/02/23/metal-majesty/
    In 1989, the music industry begrudgingly recognized the global impact of heavy metal on popular culture and finally gave the red-haired stepchild its own Grammy award category. A quick reminder: this was the same year that nominees Metallica released their Earth-shattering …And Justice for All record, which seemed like a shoo-in to take home the brass. If you recall, the award recipient was…Jethro Tull, for a record that’s long forgotten. Giving the Grammy to this tired, flute-toting band was final proof that the mainstream just wasn’t getting it. Fast-forward 25 years, and it still isn’t.

2. tootull

Interesting for A Passion Play comments:
    Rolling Stone - Backstage with Ian Anderson
    The Jethro Tull frontman chats about his new world tour and his Roger Waters moment By Tushar Menon | May 03, 2012
    http://rollingstoneindia.com/home-flashbox/backstage-with-ian-anderson/

Michael Bean likes this.
  3. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

This is the first time I've read comments from Ian that don't blame the studio for abandoning the first Passion Play sessions.

4. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Interesting that he used the name "Cassius Clay." I've also seen interviews where he quite deliberately refused to add "Rhassan" to Roland Kirk's name. I wonder if he calls Yusef Islam "Cat Stevens" or "Steven Georgiou." ;)

5. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

Actually, I noticed two things that I felt were intellectually suspect in the interview. If Ian were truly worried about fans who clamor for a new Tull album REALLY wanting a Tull album from their youth, why do a sequel, which immediately brings to mind such a comparison.

Secondly, I could certainly see that Martin may have tired of the studio when Tull was cranking them out on a yearly basis, but I hardly think one album per decade would be stretching Martin's patience. The "Roger Waters" moment, however I'll buy! :D

6. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

I'm impressed at how articulate, thoughtful, and fair-minded Ian has been, especially in interviews of recent years.

7. tootull

Looking forward to...

http://www.themortonreport.com/ente...ian-anderson-on-thick-as-a-brick2-part-three/
    Ian Anderson - The projects I’m working on this year, well, essentially there are three things that I’m working towards. One of them, there’s a bit of a start made already, which is an album of essentially string quartet music of Jethro Tull repertoire, done by a string quartet with my input, playing the flute. And that’s something I’m working on in collaboration with our keyboard player, John O’Hara. So, we’ve arranged some stuff already, and we will do that. And doubtless it will be played at people’s weddings and funerals. It won’t be a high profile, high selling album, but it will be a very, very nice way of listening to Jethro Tull’s mainstream repertoire in a context that is, I think, creatively different. So, that’s something we’re working on.

And I have in mind to do some real singer-songwriter material. I mean something really striped down to being just guitar and voice for the most part, and very little else—just really, really minimal stuff. That obviously requires writing the music, and being energized to write the music, and may well have a sort of conceptual thing behind it, but it’s a little early to say what that might be, musically.

And I have one other project which I would really set aside for probably 2013, which is kind of a hard rock album. I wouldn’t mind just doing…well, I suppose you might say, justifying that hard rock/heavy metal Grammy that we won all those years ago. [Laughs] Maybe the time has come to actually say, “You know? All right, maybe we are a hard rock/metal band.” I think I’d quite like to do one that’s kind of that full-on raging music. But whether I want to another whole album, or maybe just do a big 20-minute song, I don’t know.

But those are three projects that I have in mind, and that’s a couple of years’ worth of work, really. I don’t think it’s wise for me to look much beyond that at the moment, especially since 2013 touring will probably take us on down into the southern hemisphere, and may well bring us back to the USA the early summer of 2013. It’s quite a long time to look ahead itself. But cast your thoughts forward from that to 2014 and ’15, that’s probably about…

My god, what will I be then? I’ll be 68 in 2015, and I would think if I make 70 as a professional musician, I’d be pretty pleased. And, these days, with the miracles of modern science, who knows? It could even go on a bit longer.

8. I wonder what IA means by the "density of the arrangements" of aPP as opposed to TaaB... OK it was not exactly rock n roll, but they pretty much played the thing straight out on the stage - as far as I can tell from the recordings out there - all jumping about... The instrumentation is pretty consistent... In the booklet from the remastered album, in 2003, he wrote (from memory - I can't access it at the moment) that they played it on tour thoroughly enjoying themselves or something...

I also recall from some other interview IA saying that these two prog albums of theirs had been made pretty much as they went along...

"War Child" has much denser arrangements!

Revisionism?

9. tootull

Canadian content; CBC

Jethro Tull used to be a blues band - by Chris Martin on May 16, 2012

In the rock ’n’ roll world, the blues seems to go two ways: it is where a band starts, or where a band ends up.

In our blues blogs we have a nice piece on Mark Lanegan. As the lead singer of the Seattle based grunge band Screaming Trees, Lanegan’s career rose to prominence with the guitar-driven, post-punk sound. With age and maturity, Lanegan has refined his rock angst into a less abrasive yet more focused sound, encompassed in the blues.

Back in the late ’60s it was the other way around.

Take Jethro Tull, for instance. Flute-wielding Ian Anderson and crew have long been known for their intricately composed, folk-drenched, progressive, thinking-man’s rock. Rock operas, overtures and grandiose displays of verbose, literary storytelling have been the mode of Jethro Tull “almost” since the start of their career, now topping 43 years.

Almost is the key word. The spanner in the works is their very first disc from 1968, entitled This Was. The album stands apart from the 20 albums that followed by virtue of it being essentially a blues album. Anderson is the sole Tull member who has been in the group from the start. Martin Barre has been the second longest-running member and lead guitar player since the band’s second release from 1969, Stand Up. Before Barre, however, the lead guitarist in Jethro Tull was Mick Abrahams.

Abrahams came to Anderson’s attention while leading a blues band called McGregor's Engine. He lasted with Jethro Tull for only one album, departing in dispute over the decidedly non-blues direction Anderson had envisioned.

For the bluesiest of Tull have a listen to "It's Breaking Me Up" from This Was.

As most young disgruntled musicians do, Anderson and Abrahams have made amends and have supported each other musically in recent years. Abrahams is still a purveyor of the blues; Anderson is still not.

Related:
    Steppenwolf
    Bill Wyman
    Shades of Blues
    http://music.cbc.ca/#/blogs/2012/5/Jethro-Tull-used-to-be-a-blues-band

10. seed_drill

seed_drill Senior Member

How well has Mick recovered from his stroke?

11. tootull

12. tootull

Jethro Tull Appreciation Thread

CBC again! May 23, 2012 Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/books/2012/05/rick-moody-on-finding-the-pleasures-in-prog-rock.html
    Skating Away On The Thin Ice Of The New Day is top-drawer Tull. :)

13. tootull

http://www.cornwallseawaynews.com/N.../Bikers-hit-the-road-to-battle-brain-cancer/1
    Published on June 18, 2012

Approximately 100 motorcycle enthusiasts attended the annual Bikers Against Brain Cancer ride on Saturday, June 16, beginning in the parking lot of Earthway Chiropractic Clinic, headquarters of Dr. Paul Poirier, event founder, and brain cancer survivor.

The day began with a pancake breakfast provided by the Cornwall Kinsmen Club who has now taken on this event as one of its many annual staple causes.

Breakfast was followed by a three hour ride through Alexandria, then to the St-Albert cheese factory!

Once back at the clinic a BBQ hosted by Benson, helped raise additional funds.

Over 25 prizes of gift certificates and products were also drawn, thanks to the generosity of a variety of local businesses.

Both the ride and fundraising supper at Au Vieux Duluth, held earlier in the week, were dedicated to a 10 year old boy, Devon Payette, of Long Sault, who has had three brain surgeries for a form of brain tumour called neurofibromatosis 2 (AKA "NF2").

“There are in excess of 120 kinds of brain tumours, said Poirier. “Some, like mine, are malignant or cancerous, while others are benign therefore more manageable.”

He goes on to explain that in Canada there are 27 new cases diagnosed a day - “which is just shy of 10 thousand new cases a year, and yet few people know much about it.”

“That's where I come in,” says Poirier. “My singular goal is to make this condition better known nationally, and eventually, internationally.” Although, he says that he has enjoyed being a chiropractor for over 15 years now, his true calling is to educate the public about the disease.

“(It) does not discriminate. Young or old, rich or poor, man or woman, all get affected. I’ve been fortunate enough to have persevered through 4 brain surgeries, a metal plate in my skull and 20 months of chemo, so far, yet I'm still putting in my work week and raising my kids, because life must go on.”

Poirier is hopeful to have his documentary film on brain cancer, "The Test of a Man" (www.testofaman.com), completed by Christmas, which expected to be screened at the Arnold Sports Film Festival (www.arnoldsportsfilmfestival.com) in late February.

“We've also secured famous Scottish rock legend, Ian "Jethro Tull" Anderson to narrate the documentary film for us, as the long term goal is to get this documentary into as many film festivals as possible.”

In total, with proceed from the ride, supper and sponsorships, $14,000 was raised. Funds will be shared between the Montreal Neurological Institute and the Canadian Brain Tumour Foundation.

14. Dr. Bogenbroom

Dr. Bogenbroom I'm not a Dr. but I play one on SteveHoffman.TV

Hear hear! That's something I'd like to hear! APP without all the annoying sax parts. :) I might actually REALLY enjoy the album then.

15. tootull

http://jethrotull.com/july-news-update-by-ian-anderson/
    July News Update by Ian Anderson
    Friday 5th July 2013
    So – here we are with the new-look website. Much of the archival content remains for reference. But there are new features and a new architecture. There are exciting new releases now and in the coming months.
    Available now, there is the Eagle Vision Jethro Tull, Around The World Live DVD boxed set. 4 DVDs of concerts and sessions from 1970 – 2005 with lavish hardback booklet. Over 6 hrs of content. And, to be released in October, the Steven Wilson-remixed and remastered Benefit Collector’s edition in stereo and 5.1 surround.
    Early in 2014 the remixed and remastered A Passion Play and the Chateau D’Isaster Tapes Collector’s editions in stereo and 5.1 surround (which have also been completed by Steven) will be released pending the relocation of all our catalogue to Warners/Rhino Records under the sale of EMI, currently going through.
    Sadly, after more than 50 years of landmark Pop and Rock record releases and so many other genres of music, EMI – that great British Company, has been broken up with assets going to Universal Music Group on the one hand and Warners Music Group on the other. The Jethro Tull catalogue master will now go with the other artists on the Chrysalis and Parlophone labels to the Warners side of things. Ironic and timely since that is exactly where Jethro Tull started its North American recording career back in 1968/9 when we were signed to Reprise Records, Frank Sinatra’s division of Warner Brothers Records.
    As some of you may know, a new album is in the works for recording in December/Jan with release scheduled at Easter 2014. The first tours to feature this new concept album (no – I am NOT going to tell you title) begin with the UK tour starting late April. Further tours throughout 2014 will feature the new material in a more theatrical setting, once again, together with a selection of The Best Of Jethro Tull. Is this to be an Ian Anderson album or a Jethro Tull album, I hear you ask? Not sure, really, I reply, if somewhat evasively….
    But I wrote the music in January and did the demos in February and it just requires a few tweaks by my old chum, lyricist Gerald B to have it all locked down and ready for rehearsal beginning 25th November at 10.00 sharp.
    It is set in a more aggressive style than the TAAB2 record. Much less acoustic guitar from me and more flute and heavier guitar sounds. Folk-Prog-Metal, you might say, if you were desperately searching for a descriptive term. There are lots of dynamics and varied tempos and keys throughout its lengthy 55 mins. But since it was demoed all on acoustic guitar in a Barbados hotel room, it doesn’t quite sound like that at the moment. But trust me! I know exactly what I am doing.
    But then again, knowing me (as I am learning to do), I might just scrap it all and start afresh.
    Martin Barre is releasing his new album recorded over the last few months in Devon and has many tour dates popping up now on his website, www.martinbarre.com where you can follow his activities in detail and hear samples of the new tracks on the music player.
    Doane Perry is studying orchestration and arranging in Los Angeles and plans to release his first symphony, “Beethoven and I” in 2028. Just kidding about the last bit but he has been having great fun extending his life-beyond-drums with a careful analysis of what the rest of us have been doing for the last 45 years. “Maybe the first violins can play the third above the melody in the 7th bar after Letter D?” Or, “What about getting the drummer to go Ba-ba-ba-boom-chick, kabosh, right after the flute goes, wooooo, wooo, woooooooo” Seems perfectly simple to me…
    I would like to express my great gratitude to Dr. David Coursey who has run our website for most of its 13 year history. His passion and skills have been much appreciated by all the band members over this period but his full-time commitment to teaching over there at the University of Texas has left him with little time for the increased workload on our new website. Rob Skarin, here in the UK, takes over as webmaster and designer/administrator from July although DC will continue to offer advice and input from time to time.
    There will be a number of changes in the “Management” and other pages of this new site to reflect the changing contacts at the record companies and I remind all NOT to contact these folks unless for professional enquiries. They are strictly unable to help you with freebie tickets, passes or meet and greets.
    Gerald Bostock will continue to write the occasional “Letter” but I fear he is becoming increasingly opinionated and polemical in older age. Try not to be offended by his words even when he is being beastly to others and indulging in vicious argument, often simply for the sake of it, or so it seems to me.
    Our current US tour is under way so I look forward to see you in the upcoming weeks and again in October when we return for more shows, including Canadian cities. Check the tour dates page for details regarding the rest of the year in Belarus, Russia, Finland, Denmark, Czech, Austria and so on.
    And, as Christmas swings by once again, Santa beards-up and the little Babba-jeez dons the swaddling-clothes, we visit Ely Cathedral and St Johns, Oxford for the usual Christmas charity shows in aid of maintenance and repairs to our great places of worship. 100% of the ticket money goes to the cause as I cover all the costs of the production. A mere drop in the (collecting) bucket as far as the annual costs go but every little helps. When Ely, Canterbury, Exeter, Salisbury etc fall down, they won’t be making any more. So let’s keep our options open even if, like me, you are not a true Christian believer but simply value our heritage, the tradition and the spiritual sanctuary of such places.
    Facebook and Twitter remain our voice for the adherents to such media and we, the team at Management remain your faithful servants in all things webby.
    Ian Anderson,
    On a plane, somewhere over South Dakota near the Missouri River. Ground speed 588 mph, altitude 40,000 ft, outside temperature minus 70 F.
    Brought my shorts with me? Roger that. But not for wing-walking.

16. tootull

I've always enjoyed APP. There's hope for you yet, then.

17. Dr. Bogenbroom

Doubtful, hope only comes with Ian's suggestion. The reality of that happening is slim to none ;).

It's not the melodies of APP I dislike and the content is rather intriguing. But those damnable sax parts drive me to rate APP amongst the lower echelon of Tull's output.

Woohoo! I guess we'll find out early 2014 :).

18. tootull

Spin Catfish! :angel:
    A thread for you:
    http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threa...-wrong-with-ian-andersons-sax-playing.290819/

19. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

Well, this is interesting. Ian seems to have changed his mind about not doing any more studio albums. And has Martin Barre rejoined the fray? Nice to hear!

20. Dr. Bogenbroom

21. tootull

Stop it! Very good! :D Spin dry Rock Island...then Roots.

22. GodShifter

GodShifter Forum Member

I love APP just as it is. It's one of my favorite Tull albums. I don't get the problem with it ....

23. tootull

Me too.

24. Dr. Bogenbroom

Well, obviously, you two just aren't as in tune with Ian as I am. :D

25. tootull

Too true. o_O +...play A Change Of Horses, followed by Heavy Horses.

[​IMG]

squittolo likes this.