Jethro Tull Appreciation Thread (part2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jun 6, 2011.

1. On a side note I found the single disc edition of "Living in the Past" on CD--how rare is this? (I know it was issued in 1987) and is there anything unique about the mastering.

It sounds REALLLY good--it's smooth as melted butter.

2. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way

Good enough. The USA single disc compares well against the sound of the 2 disc MFSL. I chose the MFSL but I understand track by track differences may sway some in favour of this USA disc.

3. Cool thanks for the feedback!

4. tootull

Anderson’s acoustic adventure
    http://www.buxtonadvertiser.co.uk/lifestyle/entertainment/anderson_s_acoustic_adventure_1_3676066

Published on Wednesday 17 August 2011 06:00

JETHRO Tull’s Ian Anderson has performed the band’s music in as many forms as you can imagine.

“I’ve done them as a band of course,” he says. “And I’ve also done the songs with an orchestra and a string quartet.”

But this time around, he’s bringing the music to Buxton in acoustic form on a 13-date tour of the UK.

He has performed acoustically before.

“That’s right,” he agrees. “But it’s the first time I’ve done it in the UK.”

Along with him is the German guitar virtuoso Florian Opahle, who has worked extensively with the likes of Greg Lake in the past, and pianist/accordionist/percussionist John O’Hara, stalwart of the current incarnation of Tull.

Speaking of the trio format, Anderson says: “I wouldn’t do a show with just me and an acoustic guitar, for one thing I’m known as a flute player.”

As well as many of the Tull classics, the set will include some new material and some surprises.

“I’ll also be talking about writing the songs and what gave rise to them, but there will be much more music than chat,” he admits.

Sort of ‘An Evening with Ian Anderson’?

“Yes, that would sum it up.

“It is an opportunity to look at the more acoustic pieces in their stripped down form and approaching them from a different direction.

“A bit of musical fun really.”

As a band, Jethro Tull has recorded some of the legendary classic rock albums in its 43-year career, from Aqualung to Thick As a Brick and Heavy Horses.

The new material should prove to be interesting.

“There won’t be that much really,” the 63-year-old Scot says.

“In any show I’ll only play two or three new songs just to ‘road test’ them. If you get a good reception with them you feel confident that it’ll work as a recording.

“Some of Aqualung was done that way.

“Of the whole show I’d say that it’s gonna be 70/30 of songs that most people will be familiar with, and there may be three or four old Tull numbers that we haven’t played in the UK.”

And as to his raison d’etre for this tour, Anderson sums it up quite simply: “I have always wanted to go out in the UK with a small line-up, to play and to restructure the songs and music for a more intimate and personalised performance.

“After many years of performing in this way for radio broadcasts in the USA, it seems like fun to bring this approach to the UK fans, old and new, and to make them feel like they are in my living room for an impromptu family concert.”

Ian Anderson will bring his acoustic tour to Buxton Opera House on Sunday September 18, at 7.30pm.

Tickets, priced £23 and £25, are available on 0845 127 2190 or at www.buxtonoperahouse.org.uk.

Martin Hutchinson

History repeats somehow - Ian Anderson

5. tootull

:cool: Hope you always enjoy.

6. tootull

[​IMG]
    Anderson performs at the Bluesfest Music Festival, Byron Bay, Australia, in April. Picture: Mark Metcalfe/Getty Images
    Interview: Ian Anderson - Frontman of Jethro Tull is playing his own tune
    http://www.scotsman.com/lifestyle/m...jethro_tull_is_playing_his_own_tune_1_1967021

7. tootull

http://www.pasadenastarnews.com/ci_19400891

THE END OF JETHRO TULL?

Martin Barre, the 65-year-old guitarist for British legends, Jethro Tull, since 1969, said his band may be done. During an interview with Classic Rock Revisited to discuss the 40th anniversary of the classic, "Aqualung" album, he "shocked" CRR staffers by saying that no further Tull albums or concerts are planned. When asked if Jethro Tull was no more, he replied, "I don't know."*

So, Barre has formed a band and is set to tour Britain and Europe playing songs from his four solo albums. He also put together a different band for the purpose of undertaking a world tour that will focus exclusively on the music of Jethro Tull.

Barre recently wrote a song, "Outer Circle," that was named after the main bus route in his hometown, Birmingham, England. So to celebrate this achievement, Barre hopped on an Outer Circle bus, guitar in hand, and played the song for his fellow travelers, notes the Birmingham Mail. He also played Tull's 1972 hit "Locomotive Breath" and Bob Dylan's "Lay Lady Lay."

Said Barre, "It's my favorite bus in the whole world. I did everything on the Outer Circle; went to school, saw my girlfriend, went to work. Even doing gigs, I'd take the bus. It seemed my whole life was spent on the Outer Circle. It's brilliant."

Meanwhile, Tull mastermind Ian Anderson, 64, has his own world tour planned for next year, during which he and his band will be celebrating the 40th anniversary of Anderson's epic album-long composition, "Thick as a Brick." Anderson will be playing "Brick" in its entirety for the first time since 1972.

http://www.birminghammail.net/news/...romtu-gig-on-the-outer-circle-97319-29745181/
    Jethro Tull guitarist Martin Barre plays impromtu gig on the Outer Circle by Matt Lloyd, Birmingham Mail Nov 9 2011
    [​IMG]
    A BIRMINGHAM rock legend who was inspired to write a song about the Outer Circle bus route returned to his roots yesterday.

Martin Barre, guitarist with Jethro Tull for 42 years, hopped on board a Number 11 bus in Harborne to play snippets from his track Outer Circle and Jethro Tull classic Locomotive Breath.
    Passer-by Aaron Page, aged 35, from Bournville, also jumped on board when he saw Barre and the pair played an impromptu version of Bob Dylan’s Lay Lady Lay for passengers.
    “Where else but on the Number 11 would that happen?” said a beaming Barre, now 64.
    He took the historic bus as part of National Express West Midlands’ celebrations of November 11, this year 11.11.11.
    And despite travelling all over the world as part of Jethro Tull, Barre said the Number 11 still had a place in his heart.
    “It’s my favourite bus in the whole world, I did everything on the Outer Circle, went to school, saw my girlfriend, went to work.
    “Even doing gigs I’d take the bus. It seemed my whole life was spent on the Outer Circle, it’s brilliant.
    “It’s a bit like the M25, it’s an arterial route and carries the blood of the people who live on the route so it’s an important part of people’s lives.”
    He added members of Tull were currently working on separate projects but he was putting together another band and would play in the city next year.
    “It always feels like I’m back home, I’m very comfortable in Birmingham.

“Next year I’ll definitely come to Birmingham.”

http://www.birminghammail.net/news/...our-in-to-the-birmingham-mail-97319-29773859/

FORTY YEARS OF AQUALUNG: AN INTERVIEW WITH JETHRO TULL’S MARTIN BARRE - Classic Rock Revisited
    http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showpost.php?p=7153301&postcount=373

Michael Bean likes this.
  8. tootull

http://www.presstelegram.com/lifestyle/ci_19450080
    IAN ANDERSON'S BENEFITS
    With the future of legendary British jazz-rock- folk-blues-prog-rockers Jethro Tull in doubt, bandleader Ian Anderson is using his time to raise funds for various charities by headlining five benefits in December.

On the 10th, he'll play the Canterbury Cathedral with Moody Blues leader Justin Hayward and Iron Maiden singer Bruce Dickinson, in a concert benefiting the church's repair fund. Dec. 16 will find him at Salisbury Cathedral with Greg Lake, formerly of King Crimson and Emerson, Lake and Palmer.

He's on his own for benefit shows on Dec. 19 at England's Manchester Cathedral, as well as two performances in Italy on Dec. 21 and 22.

Next year, he'll tour extensively with his non-Tull solo band, performing Tull's epic album, "Thick as a Brick" in its entirety, marking the 40 th anniversary of the work. - Steve Smith

Monthly best-of lists — December 1, 2011 7:51 am
    Best of November 2011: Reader picks include Jethro Tull, Paul Motian and Rush
    #1: ONE TRACK MIND: JETHRO TULL, “LOCOMOTIVE BREATH,” (1971; 2011 reissue): — Nick DeRiso
    http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showpost.php?p=7184411&postcount=512

http://www.j-tull.com/

9. 1970

1970 Forum Resident

Allow me to just say that I think this is the best artist appreciation thread in all of Hoffmandom. Hats off to you, John.

:cheers:

10. tootull

Jethro Tull the the most famous underground band in the world.

Very kind, thank you.

Part 1: Can't have 2 without the other
    http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=84119&highlight=

'My lord and lady, we have fortuitously happened upon these, er, strolling players, who will provide you with, er, goodly tunes while you set about your prandial delights...albeit in the lamentable absence of your guests. So, my lord and lady, for your entertainment!.....

Michael Bean likes this.
  11. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

G'day,

I was listening to Broadsword And The Beast last night. This was my first Jethro Tull back in the day and I still dig it immensely, even if it is stylistically way different to Aqualung, Thick As A Brick or Songs From The Wood.

I never cared that much for its closest relatives A (songs not memorable enough) or Under Wraps (too much 80s synth) but Broadsword has just the right amount of melody and synth to work for me.

--Geoff

12. masterbucket

masterbucket Senior Member

I may try to get Martin to do a question and answer thread on here like the one we had with Mr Bobby(Whitlock).

He is a truly a humble and very modest man.....and a RUNNER!!:idea:

13. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident

There's no better band imo. The 70s were the best decade and Tull were the best band :D. No other band has so many bonus tracks of high quality. Tulls bonus tracks alone from their 70s remasters outclass the Rolling stones best collection of hits easily for me. Better composers, better musicians, better music :righton:. If you don't have the following remastered albums with BONUS TRACKS then get them :)

stand up 3 cd(deluxe)-album + bonus tracks + carnegie hall live
    benefit-album + bonus tracks
    aqualung 2 cd(40th ann.)-album + lots of bonus tracks
    thick as a brick
    a passion play
    warchild-album + lots of bonus tracks
    songs from the wood-album + bonus track
    heavy horses-album + bonus tracks
    stormwatch-album + bonus tracks
    a-album + live dvd
    broadsword-album + lots of bonus tracks
    roots to branches
    dotcom(has a remaster been released with It all trickles down?)

Michael Bean likes this.
  14. dreambear

dreambear Forum Resident

Dot com has not been re-released with It all trickles down.

The Crest of a cnave album has the wonderful "Part of the machine" as a bonus. Minstrell has a wonderful sound.

//Björn

15. maddogfagin

maddogfagin New Member

keyXVII likes this.
  16. tootull

Congrats

Congrats, Maddog!
    [​IMG]

Maybe the dog will elaborate as to why? :D Maybe not...:laugh:

Welcome over here Graham. For those that don't know, (maddogfagin) Graham, mods, & members of the Jethro Tull Forum were mentioned in the credits for Aqualung's 40th.
    http://jethrotull.proboards.com/index.cgi

[​IMG]

17. maddogfagin

maddogfagin New Member

Well John to cut a long story short, when EMI decided to put a book together for the Aqualung release they found that they did not really know what was out there and, along with the other JT sites and people mentioned, we were all tasked to find memorabilia (flyers, overseas record sleeves etc) and also images of the short lived lineup which record the album. So it all came down to finding the images and, of great importance, the current copyright holders.

In my mind it does show what a lack of knowledge some record companies have of such things these days and the reliance on the fans to know the answers.

It's like the Beatle's fans who sourced performances for the Anthology set of a few years ago 'cos EMI had lost most of the early stuff.

Thanks btw bro.

Michael Bean likes this.
  18. tootull

:cool: maddog

Jethro Tull's Ian Anderson Performs With Bruce Dickinson & Justin Hayward At Canterbury Charity Show

http://www.stereoboard.com/content/view/169473/9

IRON MAIDEN's Bruce Dickinson joined JETHRO TULL frontman Ian Anderson and Justin Hayward of the MOODY BLUES on Saturday, December 10 for what was being billed as "Canterbury Rocks At Christmas" in the nave at the famed Canterbury Cathedral in Kent, England in support of The Canterbury Gift, which raises money for renovation work on the cathedral. Dickinson guested on two songs — "Revelations" and "Jerusalem" — and all three musicians performed the encore, "Locomotive Breath" from TULL's "Aqualung" album.

Fan-filmed video footage of Dickinson's appearance can be seen below.

Last year Ian Anderson and friends performed a Christmas show with special guest Greg Lake, and it was a resounding success, and this year, Dickinson was invited to perform along with Hayward.

The 900-year-old Canterbury Cathedral, which is said to be one of the most important sites in Britain's Christian heritage, remains in need of urgent repairs, particularly to its 235-foot-high central tower, known as Bell Harry tower, its medieval stained glass windows, and its 19th-century lead roof tiles. More than £10 million has been raised in recent years but another £3 million a year must be found over the next decade.

Having spent over forty successful years in the rock industry, Ian Anderson is the frontman, flautist and voice of the legendary band JETHRO TULL, who have some 30-odd albums to their credit and sales worldwide totaling more than 60 million.

Considered widely as the man who introduced the flute to rock music, Anderson has also received recognition as an accomplished solo artist with four diverse albums under his belt along with acoustic and orchestral concerts throughout the world.

Speaking about why he had chosen to play last year's Christmas gig, Ian Anderson spoke of the importance of supporting Canterbury Cathedral. "If our generation and the future generations don't do it, then it will be lost," he said. "There is a real parallel regarding the preservation of our great buildings, and the greater sense of conserving our world. We need a huge change of thinking about the stewardship of our planet and all it contains, both natural and man-made.

"Canterbury Cathedral is a place for life today. But it is also a place for the future and, whether you are a Christian or not, it is a place which should remain forever close to our hearts."

Videos:
    http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=167188

19. tootull

20. tootull

Jethro Tull Christmas

After 30 years of occasional holiday singles, The Jethro Tull
    Christmas Album was a collection waiting to happen. With flute in tow,
    Ian Anderson leads his merry men through traditional and Tullish
    holiday tunes both old and new - all freshly recorded in that
    relatively acoustic Songs from the Wood style - and the results are
    splendid.
    "A Christmas Song" seems a little less cynical than it did in 1972,
    and along with some other gently ironic new compositions, it manages
    to blend right in with the more pervasive good cheer and warm
    fuzziness of the rest of the package. For all of Anderson's
    tut-tutting, he's an old softie when it comes to season's greetings.
    Swinging jazz versions of staples like "God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen"
    are included for an hour that the whole family can enjoy. So put
    another Yule log on the fire!
    Offering some of the most appealing melodies he has ever written.
    Anderson's new solo album Rupi's Dance, could've been the best Tull
    album in years if Martin Barre's electric guitar were on hand. The
    more delicate approach notwithstanding, Anderson's flute still works
    overtime, and there's plenty of food for thought in the clever
    wordplay.
    Barre's solo album, Stage Left, is an acoustic/electric grab bag of
    folk to fusion, showing his often-underrated chops to be as nimble as
    ever. Nestled in a Tull tune, any of these short workouts might've
    been a brilliant yin to Anderson's lyrical yang. But isolated here,
    these undeniably impressive exercises sometimes seem vaguely clinical.
    Andrew Nash Sound&Vision December 2003.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Front 242 Addict likes this.
  21. maddogfagin

maddogfagin New Member

From www.citylife.co.uk/news

By Sarah Walters, Friday, 16 December, 2011

Sell 30 million albums and you might imagine you’ve earned yourself a comfortable retirement. Feet up, exotic holiday homes, living on the royalties?

No? That’s certainly not been Ian Anderson’s grand plan because the founder, frontman and flautist of Jethro Tull has never downed tools on his musical career.

Famous for turning the flute into a bona fide rock instrument, Anderson may have looked like the frivolous court jester as he stood on one leg, all expressive wide-eyes and shroud of ginger curls, but his erudite and ebullient analysis of his body of work couldn’t contrast with that image more.

When we catch up, he’s spending another day in the studio, ‘working hard’ on a new album scheduled for April, doing battle with new lyrics, brushing up on old material and putting the final touches to impending shows. It’s a complimentary mix of times and tasks.

And one that demonstrates Anderson’s attitude to music well; Jethro Tull might have scored one of their biggest hits with Living In The Past, but Anderson’s focus is utterly on the here and now.

It was 1968 when Ian Anderson laid out Jethro Tull’s experimental oeuvre (think an infusion of jazz, hard rock, classical and folk) for the first time on their debut record This Was.

And so prolific was Anderson’s band that they released an album every year right up until 1980 – releasing two, the groundbreaking Thick As A Brick and Living In The Past, in 1972 – and have put out a further 13 since then.

Doing things differently is what Ian has always been about. And while the rest of the music world has recently caught on to the ethereal experience of playing in a church, it’s been a regular feature of Anderson’s schedule for quite some years.

It is to play Manchester Cathedral (a place he rather fondly calls “a *****-cat” in terms of acoustics and sight-line issues) that brings him back to the city next week on a tour that breathes new life into religious spaces.

“I’ve perfected a general structure for my show that is somewhere between a secular concert and a Christmas carol service,” he says, his voice a lilting blend of soft Scottish vowels and Somerset inflections.

“It makes some of the church people a little uncomfortable because they like their meat and potatoes church service that is pure and simple and familiar, but I happen to believe we can combine the elements of a traditional service with performances that allow for a little more latitude of musical material.

“It allows the audience to laugh and applaud and express themselves in a way that I think is quite fitting in churches and cathedrals – they’re nothing without an audience, and sadly many of them are nothing because they have no audience.

“It’s just part of my rationale to put bums on pews.

“I’m religious but not a Christian, and I’ve broken most of the commandments – although I haven’t actually murdered anybody yet, but I think about it quite often,” he laughs.

“The Anglican tradition has always welcomed outsiders, regardless of belief or cultural background or sexual orientation.

“It makes me feel comfortable to work alongside those good people of great ecclesiastical works who devote themselves to that service.

“It doesn’t mean I have to be one of them.

“I’m a keen supporter but that doesn’t mean I have lofty aspirations for a post in the church.

“I’m just about as close as you get to an infidel, really.”

A local choir and organist join the Tull line-up for the show, and Ian says he’s likely to fill a little time ‘blathering’ about Christmas themes.

Given the furore that once surrounded the band’s seminal LP Aqualung when it was identified as an anti-religion album, it is surprising to hear Anderson talk about the church with such genuine affection.

But no doubt serene shows in stately sacred buildings will offer a welcome change of pace for Anderson, who has spent a great deal of the year touring Aqualung around the world to mark its 40th anniversary.

Next year, he is planning to revisit the group’s Thick As A Brick album – an album remembered as much for its music as it is for its innovative and playful packaging. He confesses he’s not an ‘anniversary guy’ (“It doesn’t come easily to me to ‘do’ anniversaries,” he adds) but points out that most of Aqualung has remained in Tull sets since it was written and Thick As A Brick was never toured as a whole.

After more than 25 album releases, Anderson certainly has a lot of material to choose from. And he’s proud of his output – and of his continued passion for music, which started when he was about 13 through American sci-fi and spiritualist books that discussed big ideas and asked even bigger questions.

What saddens him, though, is that a musician’s determination to be different has been almost entirely devalued. “When I started there was an encouragement to be different, whereas when the screws get turned and economy gets tough, people only want to play the sure bets,” explains Ian.

“That’s why we live in a world of Tinseltown upstarts courtesy of The X Factor.

“Things have got incredibly imitative and there’s no encouragement for individuality and expression.

“Having said that, given that any musician has had to come to terms with the fact that they will never make money at what they do, it frees them from that creative restraint.The distinct lack of commercial success on the cards for most musicians may offer them some freedom.

“You might as well do what you want to do rather than toe the line in order to get a record contract.”

22. tootull

http://www.examiner.com/classic-rock-music-in-mesa/top-valley-classic-rock-performances-of-2011
    Top Valley classic rock performances of 2011

23. tootull

24. tootull

When you breathe your last line, will you make your exit stage left, stage right?
    Well, you might decide while there's still time.

(the easiest Jethro Tull quizzzzzz ever)

Play wrong

I read the news today, OH BOY! The Associated Press - On Jan. 24, 1969, Jethro Tull played their first US concert, in New York City. They were the opening act for Led Zeppelin.
    http://www.digtriad.com/news/entert...04/Today-In-Entertainment-History--January-24

OR

Play right

Jethro Tull played their first US concert, in New York City. Opening for Blood, Sweat & Tears
    24/1/69 Fillmore East NYC, NY. USA

Also appearing: Gay Desperados Steel Band, Blood, Sweat & Tears (headlining).
    Set included:
    A New Day Yesterday, Guitar Solo, For A Thousand Mothers
    http://www.ministry-of-information.co.uk/setlist/69.htm

The first album that I owned was by Blood, Sweat & Tears.
    [​IMG]

Voice of America -
    symbol of the free.
    Mine of disinformation
    pleading sympathy.
    Down in the cold-war games
    forever naming names.
    - Ian Anderson

25. tootull

Leftover Bookmarks; 2012 Jethro Tull Grammy Pages:

Jethro Tull’s Ian Anderson Thought Metallica Would Win First-Ever Hard Rock/Metal Grammy
    http://ultimateclassicrock.com/jeth...a-would-win-first-ever-hard-rockmetal-grammy/
    Jethro Tull’s Ian Anderson remembers winning heavy metal Grammy over Metallica to ‘boos and hisses and gasps of disbelief’
    http://somethingelsereviews.com/201...ca-to-boos-and-hisses-and-gasps-of-disbelief/
    JETHRO TULL's IAN ANDERSON Reflects On His 'Metal' GRAMMY Win
    http://legacy.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=169614

http://www.toronto.com/blog/post/712709--junos-2012-four-things-we-noticed

http://www.redeyechicago.com/entert...o-the-grammys-matter-20120207,0,5109561.story

http://blogs.riverfronttimes.com/rftmusic/2012/02/grammy_2011_adele_kanye_west_worst.php

http://popdust.com/2012/02/06/grammys-wtf-moment-poll/

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The ice is ever thinner. Be careful how you go
    like dogs in the midwinter.

squittolo likes this.