Jethro Tull 5.1

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tootull, May 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

You mean 96/24 LPCM? A format compatibility issue/restriction. Or, if you mean DTS, they'll probably go that route.

2. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way Thread Starter

For the record...Tull from EMI

Jethro Tull - Live at Madison Square Garden 1978 is 5.1 DTS 96/24

Stand Up DVD is: (I don't own this one)
    Live At Carnegie Hall, 1970
    Carnegie Hall audio: DTS & Dolby Digital 24 bit 48kHz
    5.1 surround sound and 2.0 24 bit 48 kHz LPCM stereo (no footage of the concert).

3. Koptapad

Koptapad Forum Resident

http://www.duplication.ca/dvdspecs.htm

Audio on a DVD-Video Up to 8 channels.
    Dolby Digital AC-3 bit-rate: 384 kbit/s
    PCM* Audio: 16, 20, or 24 bit
    48 or 96 kHz sampling rate
    Maximum audio bit rate is 6.144 Mbit/second
    (*PCM = Pulse Code Modulation)

So this info is incorrect?

Or is it because 6 channels at 96/24 is 13.824 Mbit/second and violates the 6.144 Mbit/second max spec?

4. tootull

5. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

For stereo track(s) it's correct. But multichannel usually utilizes Dolby Digital or DTS, not "pure" PCM.

6. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

This is true, not high enough bitrate for 5.1 LPCM.

7. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

8. Guy R

Guy R Well-Known Member

It's done and should never be used for anything now. Especially music. I can't believe that a group of audiophiles would not be really upset by this decision.

9. therockman

YOU ARE THE MAN!!!!!

10. tootull

Guy ROCKS! :laugh:

11. Doctor Flang

Doctor Flang Forum Resident

As far as i know, the sad answer is no. IIRC The Paris 1975 show was filmed for a concert film, but it was shelved. Some of the show was broadcasted, though, and a snippet of Minstrel was on 25 Years VHS and DVD.

There is, however some material filmed by TV companies throught the 1970's.

12. therockman

This is exactly my freeling. Everybody at this forum should be up in arms about this decision. We should all stand together in support of high resolution music. We should never have to accept a second rate release, for any reason. :nauga:

13. Guy R

Guy R Well-Known Member

It's likely because most only care about the stereo. Most that have 5.1 probably can't play it with any perceived quality increase due to their set-up. That's the only reason I can think of.

14. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

There's only one rea$on, unfortunately... :sigh:

15. therockman

Well, to change the subject slightly.... I have high hopes for an uncompressed, very dynamic, high resolution stereo version that might beat everything else out there. I have the DCC CD, and if this new version beats that, I will pick it up. But out of spite, I will never even listen to the surround mix.

16. tootull

17. Guy R

Guy R Well-Known Member

By releasing this in a format that is easy to copy, I think they will end up losing a lot more than they are saviing.

18. tootull

Jethro Tull’s Anderson Still Not Satisfied With 1971 ‘Aqualung’: Interview
    By James M. Clash - Jun 7, 2011 12:00 AM ET

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-...-still-not-satisfied-with-1971-aqualung-.html

When you discuss “Aqualung” with Jethro Tull frontman Ian Anderson, you quickly realize that the 63-year-old Scot is still miffed about the way the iconic 1971 album turned out.

The London recording studio the band used was a converted church that was “big, echoey, daunting and rather dark,” according to Anderson.

“It had all the ghosts of its past, and plenty of technical problems,” says the singer/flutist. “At the end of the sessions, I wasn’t sure what we’d got. It’s a bit like an old photograph; you know it’s in the camera, but you don’t know what the picture is until it’s developed. There’s the feeling you might just have a bit of black film.”

Despite Anderson’s reservations, “Aqualung” went on to become the group’s signature work, selling more than 7 million copies worldwide. In 2003, Rolling Stone magazine ranked it 337th on its list of the best 500 albums of all time, ahead of the Doors’s “L.A. Woman” and Bruce Springsteen’s “Greetings From Asbury Park.”

To celebrate the 40th anniversary of ``Aqualung,'' the band is launching a 15-city North American tour tomorrow at the Red Rocks Amphitheatre in Morrison, Colorado. Longtime members Anderson and Martin Barre, the lead guitarist who joined in 1969, will be accompanied by more recent members Doane Perry (drums), David Goodier (bass) and John O’Hara (keyboards). The entire album will be played at each venue.
    Remixed CD

An “Aqualung” collectors CD is also being released, in remixed form.

“It wasn’t a great sounding album,” Anderson told me recently by phone from his home in England. “A few weeks ago, I heard some of the tracks digitally remixed from the original masters by somebody with a fresh pair of ears. He kept the feeling of the original, but gave it a lot more weight, made it sound more solid and clear.”

In 1971, “Aqualung” was a big departure from mainstream pop -- and from Jethro Tull’s previous blues-oriented releases such as “Stand Up” and “Benefit.”

“Aqualung” combined elements of jazz, classical, hard rock and blues. Critics dubbed it a concept album because many songs were related thematically and musically, as in The Who’s rock opera “Tommy.” The plight of the underprivileged was explored in the songs “Aqualung,” “Cross-Eyed Mary” and “Up To Me,” while “Hymn 43” and “My God” were critical of organized religion.
    Rowdy Fans

Anderson, who had scraggly shoulder-length hair in his heyday, is now bald with a neatly trimmed goatee. But he’s still very opinionated. For instance, he rejects the “concept” label for “Aqualung.”

“It’s an album of contrast, full of brave dynamic variations across the board -- from big electric guitar riffs to sensitive little acoustic guitar and vocal passages with a string quartet,” he says. “Lyrically it varies from being angry socially to whimsical, slightly surreal moments like in ‘Mother Goose.’”

Anderson has little patience with critics or rowdy fans.

“It’s particularly disheartening when I’m trying to play the intro to ‘My God’ and someone is hooting over something that is, to me, a very important part of the song,” he says. “It’s not a football match. And if that sounds a bit snobbish, then tough.”

Though Jethro Tull has sold over 50 million albums since 1968 and still performs more than 100 concerts a year, the band isn’t in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame.

“I’ve always thought it is primarily to celebrate American music,” Anderson says of the Hall. “There are a lot more deserving American artists who should be in before British bands. I want to see Captain Beefheart there before Jethro Tull.”

The band may not be in the Hall of Fame, but one of Anderson’s outfits is.

“A mannequin with my stage clothes is standing next to one of Rod Stewart,” he says. “I remember thinking, ‘Either we had a very bad dry cleaner or the Hall of Fame has a bad one, because the stuff looks impossibly small.’”

(James M. Clash writes on adventure for Muse, the arts and leisure section of Bloomberg News. The opinions expressed are his own.

To contact the writer on the story: James M. Clash at [email protected]

To contact the editor responsible for this story: Manuela Hoelterhoff at [email protected].

19. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

A good read, that. :winkgrin:

20. therockman

Thanks for posting that.

21. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Listening to the rip of Steve's DCC Gold through headphones right now...I really hate stopping it (I'm at the office), for any reason. Feel strongly about listening to it from one end to the other uninterrupted...:angel:

22. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

23. tootull

Living in the past from CD Review
    [​IMG]

24. DPM

DPM Senior Member

Oh man, CD Review and Wayne Green. Now those were the days. I remember reading this review too.

25. tootull

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.