Jethro Tull 5.1

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tootull, May 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Guy R

Guy R Well-Known Member

I won't be interested in this one then. I'm done with regular Dolby a few years now. A bit off topic but over the weekend I watched AC/DC River Plate on DVD and on BD. The 5.1 Dolby on the DVD was a mess. No detail and murky. Unlistenable. Popped the BD in and listened to the 24 bit 5.1. Absolutely. Night and day. Better bass and everything was clean and clear. Like I said, done with Dolby.

2. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I'm not a big Jethro Tull fan, but if this was released in hi-rez (SACD, Blu-ray, DVD-A), I would buy it immediately.

Instead I'll just wait for a used copy to show on up ebay or whereever. So essentially a lost sale for EMI...

3. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way Thread Starter

4. Fatman

Fatman Senior Member

just curious...how do you play 5.1 FLAC files from a computer?

5. I'm with you 100%.

6. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

With Foobar (the best free audio player). It also plays DVD-A.

7. peteham

peteham Senior Member

Would've loved DVD-A, but I'm looking forward to it just the same.

8. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

Thanks for the info and welcome to the forum, Steven! Looking forward to this truly "last word in scuba diving". :goodie: I'm partially a DVD-A guy but I won't miss MLP tracks that much if there's at least a stereo LPCM of the same resolution (+ some high bitrate DTS for multichannel). After all, it's the happy marriage of my favorite music and your mastering/mixing work that got me hooked (not to mention your "now secondary hobby" - being a musician; :laugh: but seriously, I hope you still have enough time for all things PT and, maybe, sleeping). :righton:

All the best to you! (Or, as I usually say, be blessed by good masters and correctly adjusted head azimuth!)

:wave:

9. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

OK, I did the math. Since the high resolution 5.1 files already exist, there is no additional cost for the production of a high resolution DVD-A disc. On the other hand, it does cost approx. $.05 more per disc to manufacture a DVD-A over an S-DVD. So you figure for a run of 10,000 discs, this would cost EMI about an additional $500 US for the entire run if they had of went DVD-A instead of S-DVD. For a company like EMI, that just might make or break them. :D

10. therockman

I'm glad to see that the folks over at the Quadrophonic Quad Forums feel the same way that we do. Now that Steven Wilson has joined our friendly little group, maybe he can carry the message back to EMI what the potential audience of this disc is saying about their decsion to go lossy for the surround.

11. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

Probably, the choice was made in favour of those folks who still report DVD-As as faulty goods on Amazon, just because there's no video portion. :winkgrin:

Personally, I would definitely prefer DVD-A but whatever...

12. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

I'm in the "well, it ain't chopped liver" camp here. Just bring it!

13. therockman

To me, Dolby Digital is just under chopped liver. It sucks.

14. tootull

15. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

Liver rocks, soy sucks. :whistle: And Dolby Digital stands for "soy" in a modern audio supermarket...

16. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

What's wrong with wanting the best they can offer us? Should we always settle for less? Maybe they will rerelease this for the 50th anniversary and give it to us on a Bluray or DVDA disc! :sigh:

17. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

I guess that a bluray version may happen much earlier than the 50th anniversary. But later than DVD-V... :shh: EMI, I want them to be released simultaneously! EMI?... E-E-E-E-E-M-I-I-I-I-I!!!

18. tootull

Nothing wrong at this stage of the Aqualung game.
    50th anniversary = Then I will be too old. (Gotta laugh.) I haven't got two DVD-A players and two blu-ray players to have Tull miss the bus.

19. jeffrey walsh

jeffrey walsh Senior Member

50th anniversary = Then I will be too old. (Gotta laugh.)[/QUOTE]

too Rock N' Roll! :agree::D

20. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

fixed.

21. therockman

I got to agree. And now all the new Chevrolet's have in an dash DVD-A player too.

22. tootull

That would be you.

23. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

24. HDManiac

HDManiac Forum Resident

I think it will turn out to be DTS 96/24 as with the Bowie (Young Americans,Station to Station) and BJH (Once again) Re-Releases.DTS 96/24 has also been used for the Genesis,Depeche Mode & Nick Cave titles by EMI.
    So I expect a very good sound quality and I hope the DVD will not only be available in an expensive Mega Box Set!

25. Koptapad

Koptapad Forum Resident

I've watching this thread but please correct me -

Original Quad and new 5.1 on DVD-V in either Dolby Digital or 48/24.

Original stereo mix and new stereo mix in 96/24 PCM.

Why can't the 5.1 and Quad be in 96/24 on DVD-V?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.