Jethro Tull 5.1

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by tootull, May 3, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mongo

mongo Senior Member

To your first question, in my experience most people who consider themselves audiophiles are very rigid in their beliefs about what constitutes a proper system. They'll spend gobs on certain pieces of gear but when it comes to surround sound, hi-def video and especially digital playback, they look down their noses at it and you invariably get of several responses but the "2-channel is the truest way to recreate music" is always tops.
    Look, if the audiophile community had embraced hi-rez popular music, DVD-A or SACD, in significant numbers, it wouldn't be the niche market it is now. SACD is doing far better than DVD-A but only because of Jazz and "Classical" music.

As far as 42" flat panels going away, not a chance. They fit into many applications perfectly and are really at the sweet spot price-wise.

Small is all relative. It all depends on how far away you sit from the screen. Basically you need to be no more that 1.5 screen widths in order for your eyes to resolve 1920x1080.

Really not accurate. 50"+ flat panels have been available for a lot longer than 3 years

The smallest plasma ever available outside of an old IBM computer monitor, is 42". LCD\LED are available in much smaller sizes.

Personally, I hope Aqualung comes out on Blu-ray, but I'll take any hi-rez format with SACD, imo, being the most unlikely.

2. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

That will be the 100% of DVD players (including Blu ray) which will play at least a DD portion of a DVDA ( I include the out of box movie systems which while not ideal are quite possibly many peoples first introduction to surround sound) . In answer to your earlier question it would appear that Universal via Rush Moving pictures have put a foot in the DVDA market again.

3. Ed Hughes

Ed Hughes Senior Member

Is this the Jethro Tull 5.1 thread ? Somehow I wound up in a Blu-Ray vs.DVD-A thread.:D;)

4. ponkine

ponkine Senior Member

Good point!

Let's discuss JT in 5.1, not the media formats :shake:

What you'd love to have, what you wouldn't like to have, the mixes you'd love to hear, etc. :righton:

5. Guy R

Guy R Well-Known Member

There is a music category on the left side of bluray.com

6. JohnG

JohnG PROG now in Dolby ATMOS!

Whatever format this comes out in, I'm ready. More 5.1 please!

7. Feisal K

Feisal K Forum Resident

thanks for the kind words about DVD-A.info :)

I was torn - in the beginning - between wanting to list all concert BDs and only those with audio only, but I've since resolved to only list audio releases (surround and/or hirez); with SACDs being already well served by sa-cd.net, I only have to now keep an eye on audio releases only, which makes the site easier to maintain (fortunately AND unfortunately)

pure stats, naah... just a list :laugh:

I'd love a heads up if there happens to be a audio only BD or DVD-A I may have missed

8. CaptBeyond

CaptBeyond Well-Known Member

Well, I hope the end result lives up to its potential and doesn't get mucked up along the way. I would gladly buy both Blu-ray and SACD versions of Thick As A Brick, Aqualung and hopefully Benefit, my favorite Tull album.

9. Guy R

Guy R Well-Known Member

I guess this is ultimately the point. I'm ready for anything as well. I would prefer BD but if it comes out as DVD-A I will take that as well. If it's only a regular DVD I will have to make a decision as to whether I will buy it as I said awhile back that I would not buy anymore of those.

10. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

They often get lumped in with prog but with the exception of the '72-'74 period where they were doing full blown concept pieces like Thick as a Brick, I don't think they fit the bill. I tend to think of them more as an esoteric blues/folk-rock outfit, but as is often the case, the true originals defy easy classification.

11. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way Thread Starter

I really don't mind.
    I'll agree that this is the best direction for this thread.

12. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I hope it's done tastefully (James Taylor / The Captain And Me), and not aggresively (Abraxas DTS disc / Venus And Mars DTS disc*)...I want to enjoy this great, great album, that's been part of my DNA since 1971, in surround sound, but not have to suffer whiplash, or nausea to do so. :laugh:

Back on track now ? ;)

*for the record, I sold Abraxas, but find Venus & Mars " fun," if I'm in the mood for it.

13. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

Thanks for you great work, I visit your site on a regular basis (as well as sa-cd.org) - it's very helpful quick reference source for us, music lovers (as opposed to some of our friends here who are more of multimedia geeks). Keep it alive and conceptually pure! :edthumbs: :cheers:

14. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

So far no info on possible release date?

15. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way Thread Starter

16. Pibroch

Pibroch Active Member

I would LOVE to hear "A Passion Play" in 5.1!!!

17. j4yheindeo

j4yheindeo Forum Resident

+1 :righton:

Thanks bro ... I was starting to feel a bit "underprivileged" ... :eek:

18. Feisal K

Feisal K Forum Resident

thanks again :) conceptually pure is easier to maintain :laugh:

19. calgary669

calgary669 Forum Resident

To me, a sure buy! Specially with the Mastermind behind this one... Can't wait :winkgrin:

20. valhalla2704

valhalla2704 Forum Resident

I would love hear "Aqualung" with DCC GZS 1105 release 24 karat gold. Super quality.

21. Feisal K

Feisal K Forum Resident

Any release dates? :)

22. showtaper

showtaper Concert Hoarding Bastard

It's a very typical recent performance. I can see where it would be disappointing
    to anyone expecting to see the youthful, exuberant version of Ian Anderson.
    Give it another shot and pay attention to the magic that is Martin Barre.

That I.A. dude is still pretty damn entertaining as well.......

23. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

The Audiophile community did embrace DVD-A and SACD, but as I see it there were some problems.

1. Most audiophiles had good cd play back that probably ate up a good deal of disposable income. Selling a used cd player is going to be a big loss. Players that could play both DVA-A and SACD weren't available, so that meant a person would have to buy two players. Two players that performed at the same level of the old cd player was expensive as well. It's not so easy to replace good equipment in a year when there are monitary concerns. In other words most audiophiles needed time to embrace SACD and DVD-A. Sony wasn't very patient.

2. Sony and Warner Brothers weren't trying to appeal only to audiophiles. They wanted the general public to buy into SACD and DVD-A, which didn't happen. SACD and DVD-A have now become a niche product and will probably survive longer than some of you think, just like vinyl.

24. Tristero

Tristero In possession of the future tense

You have to feel a little bit bad for the Jethro Tull camp here. They announce a new deluxe edition of their most popular album only to be completely overshadowed by all the Pink Floyd hubbub. I'm still looking forward to these sets though. This was a very fruitful period of their career (though I kind of prefer the pre-Aqualung phase these days) and Anderson was quite prolific (many great outtakes were left off the final album). Thick as a Brick should also be a real treat in 5.1 (though I don't know how much they have in the way of unreleased material from this period).

25. genesisfan

genesisfan Forum Resident

To match Floyd's announcement the Aqualung (and then Thick as a Brick) releases must be a real deal!

A totally lame release like Rush's Moving Pictures 5.1 CD/DVD with virtually no extras would lead all of us to purchase Floyd's, no question :wave:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.