Jazz Guitarist Recommendations

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mwheelerk, Aug 15, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bren

Bren Forum Resident

Not a new player, but Steve Khan always sounds pretty fresh to me. Try an album of his called Got My Mental, from 1996, or the double live album Suitcase.

----
    www.jazzshelf.org

2. DanK

DanK Forum Resident

I used to spend a lot of time here, and posted a bit, but I had to quit cold turkey because I wasn't getting any work done. Each log-in meant hours of compulsive reading of 500-message threads; I couldn't tear myself away.

I dropped in now just to see what y'all were saying about the Beatle reissues and quickly found a thread that I can enthusiastically post to.

Kevin O'Neil played guitar in Anthony Braxton's band in the few years surrounding the turn of the century, and he's amazing. Unhumanly fast with some startlingly new twists on harmonic/melodic convention. The two sets I recommend (since you said you're not looking for avant-garde) are 23 Standards and 20 Standards, live 4 disk boxes from Leo Records.

And I'll second the recommendations for Jim Hall, Marc Ribot & John Scofield, and add the great Pat Martino.

3. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

You asked for contemporary players, so that's what I'll stick with. Some of my favorites:

Kurt Rosenwinkel

Joshua Breakstone

Toninho Horta (fantastic Brazilian/jazz guitarist - much of his output is a little outside the jazz realm but check out ONCE I LOVED (Verve Japan) if you can find a copy, a CD from the late 80s where he plays jazz on both electric and acoustic guitars, in a trio setting with Gary Peacock and Billy Higgins - amazing! Pat Metheny is a big fan of Toninho)

Howard Alden

John Abercrombie

Anthony Wilson

4. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music... Thread Starter

I am very familiar with Benson and Pass and somewhat familiar with Barney Kessel and Tal Farlow to a lesser degree. I have Jim Hall but I am not familiar with Jimmy Raney. I wil check him out.

5. mwheelerk

Appreciated

I really appreciate all the replies and I am definitely going to do some research and check out several of the suggested but I guess when I was specifying "new" I should have defined it a little more as maybe someone who began playing this decade.

Thanks

6. Sweet Cheerio

Sweet Cheerio Forum Resident

Ray Russell
    Sonny Sharrock
    Masayuki Takayanagi
    Early Nels Cline

7. PhilBiker

PhilBiker sh.tv member number 666

I would recommend picking up the latest CD by Andy Summers, titled "Earth + Sky". The line-up includes Vinnie Colaiuta: Drums, Abraham Laboriel: Bass, John Beasley: Keyboards, John Novello: Keyboards, Katisse Buckingham: Saxophone. It doesn't get much more heavyweight than Colaiuta and Laboriel. I recommend all of Summers' jazz albums without reservation. He is amazing. "The X Tracks" is a compilation from his later material from before Earth + Sky. All his jazz work is universally amazing.

I also really like John Scofield, he's a much more obvious answer.

8. GregM

GregM The expanding man

9. Harry C

Harry C Forum Resident

I'm struck by how few, how little, we can suggest to the OP.

10. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Guitar is not a particularly noteworthy instrument in straight-ahead jazz and bop. Trumpet, sax, bass, drums and piano played a more significant role and few jazz guitarists made a name for themselves, even after fusion came along.

11. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host

12. Harry C

Harry C Forum Resident

That was your 666th posting on the forum. Congratulations but I hate it when things like that happen!

13. :righton: Hard to go wrong with the first release from the Guitarchives series GTR-0001 ... Lenny Breau with Dave Young "Live at Bourbon St."

2 CDs of amazing modern interpretations of jazz classics impeccably and exquisitely rendered live from just one guitar and bass.

14. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

He's not a new artist but Earl Klugh is one of those jazz fusion artists that I can highly recommend.
    Others are George Benson, Larry Carlton, Lee Ritenour, John Tropea, Chalie Byrd, and Laurindo Almeida.

Recommended albums:
    "One On One" (with Bob James)
    "Two Of A Kind" (with Bob James)
    "Finger Paintings"
    "Heart Strings"

15. vinyldisc

vinyldisc New Member

According to these guys here are the Top 100 Jazz Guitarists

Wes Montgomery was what first came to mind.
    Larry Carlton, Pat Methany and Hiram Bullock there after...

They are on that list.

Django too.

16. AudiophilePhil

Thanks for posting the link of 100 Greatest Guitarists

1. Wes Montgomery
    2. Django Reinhardt
    3. Pat Metheny
    4. Joe Pass
    5. Charlie Christian
    6. John McLaughlin
    7. Allan Holdsworth
    8. Grant Green
    9. John Scofield
    10. Jim Hall
    11. Larry Coryell
    12. Kenny Burrell
    13. Bill Frisell
    14. Larry Carlton
    15. Pat Martino
    16. Mike Stern
    17. Al Di Meola
    18. Lenny Breau
    19. Herb Ellis
    20. John Abercrombie
    21. George Benson
    22. Lee Ritenour
    23. Tal Farlow
    24. Lonnie Johnson
    25. Eddie Lang
    26. Robert Conti
    27. Johnny Smith
    28. Bill Connors
    29. George Van Eps
    30. Jimmy Bruno
    31. Jimmy Raney
    32. Hank Garland
    33. Joe Diorio
    34. Barney Kessel
    35. Kurt Rosenwinkel
    36. Oscar Moore
    37. Les Paul
    38. Jeff Golub
    39. Ed Bickert
    40. Russ Freeman
    41. Derek Bailey
    42. Charlie Hunter
    43. Martin Taylor
    44. Howard Roberts
    45. Stanley Jordan
    46. Ralph Towner
    47. Chet Atkins
    48. Scott Henderson
    49. George Barnes
    50. Gabor Szabo
    51. Mark Stefani
    52. Thom Rotella
    53. John Pizzarelli
    54. Charley Byrd
    55. Ted Greene
    56. Billy Bauer
    57. Henry Johnson
    58. Billy Bean
    59. Sonny Greenwich
    60. Dean Parks
    61. Steve Khan
    62. Frank Gambale
    63. Andy Summers
    64. Russell Malone
    65. Ronny Jordan
    66. Bireli Lagrene
    67. Earl Klugh
    68. Grant Geissman
    69. Ken Navarro
    70. Harry Volpe
    71. Paul Bollenback
    72. Lorne Lofsky
    73. Nguyen Le
    74. Robben Ford
    75. Daryl Stuermer
    76. Phil Upchurch
    77. Ulf Wakenius
    78. Hiram Bullock
    79. Sonny Sharrock
    80. Nick Webb
    81. Tony Mottola
    82. Bucky Pizzarelli
    83. Norman Brown
    84. Tiny Grimes
    85. Tommy Tedesco
    86. Mark Whitfield
    87. Julio Fernandez
    88. Marc Ribot
    89. Greg Carmichael
    90. John Pisano
    91. Emily Remler
    92. Brian Hughes
    93. Fitzroy Coleman
    94. Mick Goodrick
    95. Kevin Eubanks
    96. Carl Kress
    97. Wolfgang Muthspiel
    98. Tuck Andress
    99. Robert Normann
    100. Howard Alden

17. Harry C

Harry C Forum Resident

This is going off-topic. The OP asked for guitarists who've emerged in the past 10 years. Most of these are irrelevant. With respect.

P.S. The title of the original post could have been better phrased.

18. AudiophilePhil

We're not intentionally thread-crapping here. Sorry if it turned out that way. Sometimes we have to respond to the post of other forum members within the same thread.

19. Harry C

Harry C Forum Resident

Yeah, but as message #30 indicates, we're not answering his quest by offering names such as the first 17 on that list. Lenny Breau, #18, I will search out as an unfamiliar name I keep coming across. I didn't mean to thread-crap.

20. AudiophilePhil

We should control our excitements in answering an op's question.
    Sometimes we are becoming careless and insensitive to the op's needs.
    We should make it a habit to read carefully what the op is asking for before we press "send" and I am guilty of not doing that.

21. vinyldisc

vinyldisc New Member

Great Jazz guitarists are worth mentioning regardless of the OP question and if you don't like that oh well, as Peter Green said.

Think of it this way... the earlier artists are likely the influences of the newer artists.

22. mwheelerk

But the deal is I am familiar with many, not all, of the older artists and I was seeking out some new innovators taking jazz in their own direction and not just feeding back what they have heard form the greats of the past.

I appreciate everyone's input. Names that I have not been familiar with I have tried to research. Maybe there aren't any young players out there you are doing their own thing and just paying homage to the past.

My original post could have been clearer and more to the point but I still find everyone's opinions interesting even if they do not address my search. I did pick up a Charlie Hunter who I have not had and giving it my first listen tonight.

Thanks

23. GregM

GregM The expanding man

Haha...I thought you were speaking figuratively but that makes this 667.

24. DrJ

DrJ Senior Member

I definitely wouldn't recommend concluding that based on what you get in terms of replies to your question here on the SH Forums...I mean I love this place but what you have mostly (and I include myself in this description) are middle-aged guys, and we tend to name-check a slightly older crowd of players.

I try hard to hear new stuff by younger musicians but with kids, jobs etc I don't stay as in touch as I used to - and suspect this applies to a huge cross-section of the members here, which is why most of the suggestions are really not relevant to what you asked for.

If you're looking for cool younger players, just do some Google searches and sample some stuff, or read Jazz Times or Downbeat reviews, or try other music forms with a younger membership. Just my 2 cents. I know there have to be some good players out there.

Here's a link to a discussion on this very issue, from a jazz guitar-focused forum, with some interesting sounding suggestions - again some go off topic and delve into older, more established players but there are some posts with a lot of younger people I know I need to check out!

http://www.jazzguitar.be/forum/players/173-young-emerging-jazz-guitarists.html

25. mwheelerk

Me Too

I am there with you bro', 59 and running on.

I have been checking out some of the recommendations I am not familiar with but passed on the many I was familiar with (like Joe Pass).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.