It's the 50th anniversary of Brubeck's "Time Out." Among the best ever recordings.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Rolf Erickson, Jun 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fredhammersmith

fredhammersmith Forum Resident

wasn't there somethin related to HDCD decoding involved?

2. Roscoe

Roscoe Active Member

When I ran the waveforms from the 1997 remaster through hdcd.exe decoder, the waveforms appeared identical, just several db lower in volume. In other words, it did not appear that HDCD peak extension was used. I also made a digital rip of the SACD via analog outs, and the resulting waveforms looked very similar to the remastered CD.

I do believe that some form of peak limiting was applied to both the remaster and the SACD, but nothing to get too worked up about. They both sound good.

I will have to check out the 50th anniversary edition, though, because it appears to be a different mastering.

3. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

I agree that the 1997 Kind Of Blue and Time Out sound excellent.

4. monewe

monewe Forum Resident

I have a Japanese 32DP version of Time Out and it sounds very smooth.

5. Mattb

Mattb Senior Member

I am on the fence with purchasing this one. So, any comments on the two bonus discs of materials?

6. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Time Out is a brilliant album and easily one of my favorite jazz albums. I never tire of the complex rhythms paired with the melodies. It's also a plus that several digital versions sound good. I've never done a shoot-out, but I like the original CBS/Sony mastering, the SACD, the '97 remaster, and the Legacy Edition.

I also was very pleased with the Mingus Ah Um Legacy Edition, though I haven't compared it to the earlier Legacy remaster or the SACD.

7. wildchild

wildchild Active Member

Yes and the 45 rpm is even better.

8. McLover

McLover Senior Member

One of my favorite jazz records. My favorite is the original 6-eye mono LP. I now have the "Take Five"/"Blue Rondo A La Turk" 45 single! It is a UK copy pressed by Fontana/Philips. Nice sounding copy. Paid $.50 for my copy.

9. fredhammersmith

fredhammersmith Forum Resident

Mark Wilder himself answered this one here.

10. wave

wave Forum Resident

Couldn't agree more.

11. It is definitely worth it in my opinion. You get better mastering, a second CD with about 55 minutes of live material, and a DVD interview with Brubeck filmed in 2003 where he discusses the album.

12. ATSMUSIC

ATSMUSIC Senior Member

This album was my introductory into jazz and made me really like it a lot.

13. Mattb

Mattb Senior Member

I appreciate it, ShowsOn. I will get this one. There is a nice small clip on the Amazon page for this album. I assume it is from the interview.

14. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

Probably not. After all, they didn't seem to mind all the Beatles' odd time signatures... :)

Great album, especially the two standout tunes.

15. il pleut

il pleut New Member

well if nothing else this album proved once again that brubeck wrote great tunes. every track on this album is a gem, and every guy in the band is outstanding. even on take 5 brubeck acted as the editor, but generously gave all the credit to paul.

basically this album wouldn't have happened without all 4 of them being there.

16. il pleut

il pleut New Member

you said it yourself... catchy tunes, nothing forced. if one didn't know the gimmick, the "unusual" time signatures might not be immediately obvious... and of course most of blue rondo is actually just blues in 4/4.

17. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

And the rarest version:

Attached Files:

18. marantzbe

marantzbe Hyperactive!

Great album, I love my original 6 eyes mono from 1959

19. Jvalvano

Jvalvano Senior Member

Love this album. I have a Classic records LP and an HDCD version. Both sound great.

20. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

True. I have one copy opened and one sealed. :D

21. Mattb

Mattb Senior Member

Best Buy has this for $14.99 today! It was marked for $19.99, but rang up for $14.99.

Not bad?

22. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

Is Mark Wilder referring to the 2009 Deluxe CD reissue of Brubeck's "Time Out"?

23. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

No, the use of HDCD "Peak Extension" was in reference to the '97 issue.

24. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

I've had several vinyl copies. My favorite was found only months ago - a clean mono 'six eye' with -1 stampers ~ and only $5. I had friends over recently and the tubes were good and hot. Amidst all the classic rock numbers came Take Five - I cranked it up & everybody fell into a stoned silence while it played, they were wowed so they say.

25. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Did you ever compare the mastering to anything else? Is it a unique master, or a reproduction of something else?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.