It's the 50th anniversary of Brubeck's "Time Out." Among the best ever recordings.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Rolf Erickson, Jun 13, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rolf Erickson

Rolf Erickson New Member Thread Starter

In my opinion, a first-class album of jazz music... My favorite jazz tune "Take Five" is among the cuts. An unforgettable piece of music. Happy 50th anniversary you great record, you... "Time Out" by Paul Desmond and Dave Brubeck.

2. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

Here, here. With all the hype and exposure, it's probably a bit of a victim of its own success as the saying goes, making it easy to overlook what a delightful album it is. Brilliant concept for an album, execution well up to the task. Such melodic work, immesurably important to its success, that belies - to some - the nuts and bolts of the central theme of working with the time. It's also done so much more than its share for winning ears to give jazz a further listen.

3. Barry Wom

Barry Wom New Member

the classics lps are dem essentials, my best recordings ever.

4. I met with some friends yesterday night for a Jazz listening session, everyone brought 7 or 8 CDs to play a track each in turn. 4 of the 5 of us had brought 'Time Out'. :laugh:
    Since we all brought different versions (SACD, Gold CD, JPN, German) we did a mini shootout playing the first 90 secs of 'Take Five'.

5. apileocole

apileocole Lush Life Gort

:D ...and?

6. TommyTunes

TommyTunes Senior Member

I haven't picked it up because I thought it was the same mastering as the CD and SACD was it remastered. The Mingus 50th of Ah um was remastered from using the original 3 track masters and remixed. It sounds awesome better than the SACD and very close to the Classic 45 set.
    If anyone has the Brubeck can they verify if it was remastered?

7. Taxman

Taxman Senior Member

I was looking at the new Mingus Ah Um in Borders last night. The back cover says the original tapes were played back on an original tube recorder-a Presto, maybe.

I see there is another Mingus recording packaged into the new addition. I'm not familiar with it. Anyone?

8. We played it on an SACD player - the Sony Gold CD was slightly ahead of the SACD. Would like to do this again on my system in a little more detail.

9. e630940

e630940 Well-Known Member

He will be re-visiting these pieces at the Montreal Jazz Fest July 4th -
    TIME OUT:TAKE 50. A living legend

Jimmy Cobb and the So What band will be playing tribute to the Miles Davis classic Kind Of Blue @ 50 on July 06

Another living legend Ornette Coleman and his Quartet playing on July 9

It is the 30th anniversary of the fest- Stevie Wonder is opening it up with a free out door concert June 30th at the General Motors Canada grand stage (go GM) Should be a master blast. All welcome

10. JA Fant

JA Fant Well-Known Member

Happy 50th!

11. Dansk

Dansk rational romantic mystic cynical idealist

Appropriately enough, I'm hearing the album for the very first time right now.

I can understand perfectly why it's so famous. Absolutely justified.

12. Downsampled

Downsampled Senior Member

I agree. The fact that the fantastic melodies are more noticeable than the experiments with time is a clear indication of its greatness. Despite the exotic time signatures, the tunes persist. Nothing seems forced.

Although I have to wonder if that wasn't the case when it came out. Were audiences 50 years ago more disoriented by it than today's listeners?

13. tommy-thewho

tommy-thewho Senior Member

Happy 50th...

I'm not a big jazz fan but that is one title I own....

14. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Great album... very good sound on the SACD.

15. jpm-boston

jpm-boston Forum Resident

I have the SACD, do I need the Classic Records 200gram LP?

16. riknbkr330

riknbkr330 Senior Member

Wow..what coincidence. I just bought the Columbia 1997 CD version of it today at the record store. The only song I've ever heard from this release is "Take Five". But today I was initiated to the beauty of the music on my drive back from LA. Great album..err. CD :) .

17. fredhammersmith

fredhammersmith Forum Resident

I'm listening to the SBM Edition right now.
    It's been a long time since I listened to 50's jazz that was not recorded by Rudy van Gelder.
    It is a very different sonic experience!
    Lots of echo on the drums and the sax.
    Can't imagine Brubeck's piano having the same sound as RVG recordings. Not sure it would have been the hit it was.

18. fredhammersmith

fredhammersmith Forum Resident

Is the 50th Anniversary Legacy edition using the same remastering as the regular Legacy edition?

19. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

What a treat for you!:) An outstanding album in every way, and a great introduction to all the wonderful Jazz that is out there!

20. monewe

monewe Forum Resident

Anyone actually bought the 50th Anniversary set and listened to it. As I was wondering how it sounded.

21. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

Happy 50th to the first million-selling jazz album.

I have

1) the fantastic sounding Sony Mastersound Gold CD (SBM-remastered)
    2) the 180-gram first-generation Classic Rec. vinyl re-issue.
    3) the SACD

I am tempted to buy the Legacy deluxe 2-CD set but I am still waiting for someone to review it before spending some hard-earned cash for it.

22. No, the 50th Anniversary Edition doesn't have any limiting at all.

So the 1997 Remaster is louder, but the 50th Anniversary sounds BETTER, because you get to hear the full dynamics. Here is Blue Rondo A La Turk, from the 1997 CD and the 2009 50th Anniversary edition:

[​IMG]
    1997 version top, 2009 version bottom

Mark Wilder mastered both version, it seems his philosophy has changed significantly in the last 12 years.

Anyone who likes this album should get the 50th Anniversary Legacy edition.

mark7 likes this.
  23. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

24. ATR

ATR Senior Member

Desmond gets top billing from me as well.

This is a recording that helped me find my way into the language of jazz 40 years ago. Thanks for taking me there, Paul and Dave.

25. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

It's interesting that Mark Wilder mentioned in one of the "Kind Of Blue" threads that he doesn't (or possibly didn't for KOB 1997) use limiting, but the waveforms certainly suggest that someone did after he had finished with it! Look at the last peak in Blue Rondo in the 50th and tell me that the 1997 wasn't limited. Sergio RZ mentioned this also and he was given a very hard time. It appears that several people owe him an apology. KOB and Time Out 50ths on the way!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.