It's Official! The Beatles Remasters Thread (Pt. 02)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Mike Dow, Apr 7, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. den0iZer

den0iZer Forum Resident

I think we have definitely a Guiness record.... I guess :)
    Have you been on Beatles site?
    Nice looking Flash video with some remastered samples :goodie:

2. Tone

Tone Senior Member

Hope so, but I think Vinyl will be more likely to follow next for the 'boutique' crowd. I think they may be afraid of releasing the genie of Hi-Rez, that will spread like fire through the file-sharers. 5.1 and/or hi-rez would be nice though.

But the CDs are welcomed instead of the digital downloads that I was afraid of (though they may still be to come).

3. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

But SOME of the Fabs are still around to give their approval to such a project.

And I don't think it's the same as colorization. 5.1 mixes simply offer a potentially interesting alternate viewpoint. If they ONLY released 5.1 mixes and deleted the standard mixes, then I'd be unhappy, but as an alternate version, they're cool to hear - just like the skillions of dance remixes released over the decades.

Colorization is like pan and scan: it dumbs down the original product. 5.1 remixes reinvent the material and give it a different perspective. No way do I endorse them as the be-all, end-all, but they're cool to get!

4. Saint Johnny

Saint Johnny Forum Resident

:confused: Did I miss something?

Btw, it wouldn't be the first time! :wave:

5. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

This is not ALWAYS the case. But agreed that if they are released there would be no harm in it. I would probably buy them too, truth be know.

6. Oatsdad

:agree: It's not like one can easily buy high-quality vinyl pressings of these albums. The remasters are much more affordable and practical...

7. william shears

william shears Senior Member

Sorry dude, early morning here. I was thinking of Johnny33 who was here last night......boy, I need a coffee, I just can't keep up with this thread. It's going TOO FAST!!!!!:eek:

8. Oatsdad

WHAT'S not always the case? That 5.1 mixes are always cool and fun? Of course not, but I'd still like to hear them.

Besides, as we both agree, having them as a supplement doesn't hurt. Heck, ANY remixes are fine with me - as long as the original remains in print as well. That's the big negative with the "Yoko remixes" of the Lennon albums: they're the only versions in print... :thumbsdn:

9. dbmay75

dbmay75 Funk & Guitar Junkie

Or, they could have release hybrid SACD's with bonus tracks and be done with it, right? Even a 2-disc hybrid SACD to include stereo/mono mixes would (should) be within most diehard fans budgets ($15-20?)

And unlike many SACD's that go OOP within a year, these obviously couldn't and wouldn't. We're not yet suffering from a shortage of plastic and metal on this planet the last time I checked :confused:

10. den0iZer

den0iZer Forum Resident

:D It's been a hard day's night :edthumbs:

11. dkmonroe

dkmonroe A completely self-taught idiot

Two reasons:

1. I don't want to have to spring for a "collectors" priced limited edition mono box that'll be $300 if it's a penny.

2. I DO want some of the albums in stereo.

The long and short of it is, I'd like to either get mono/stereo in one fell swoop, or have the freedom to collect them individually over time. Plus, I just think it's poor value to have an entire CD given over to about 30-40 minutes of music when they could easily put both mono/stereo on each CD.

12. Dr. Pepper

Dr. Pepper What, me worry?

Logic doesn't always work for business, but I hope in this instance that it does. If the Box set is cheap enough I'm getting it, if not I'll buy about 3 to five of the albums.

13. william shears

What time is it there now in Slovakia? Have you been going all day!!!:eek::):wave:

14. Oatsdad

Yeah, they COULD have done that - or they could release them bit by bit and maximize their profits. Face it: this is Apple, and they've NEVER done anything with the consumer's wallet in mind. They have a cash cow and they MILK it!

That's why I fully expect more iterations of the albums down the road - deluxe versions, 5.1, new packaging with a pen ;). Apple doesn't want to blow their wad all at once.

What you recommend would be GREAT - for us. For them? Not so much...

15. Sean Murdock

Sean Murdock Forum Intruder

The Bat-phone must have been turned off -- I thought I was ahead of the curve when I got the email from Apple, and I get here to find a 40-page thread!

I'm still kind of in shock... I never gave up hope that the remasters would be done and done well, but I guess I wasn't prepared for how to feel when it actually HAPPENED. I'm shocked ... and stunned.

I agree with Ron and all those who speculate that there must be more to come. Lovingly-remastered original mixes of all the albums are ALREADY more than many people predicted would ever happen, so everything else is gravy. Do I want to buy BOTH box sets instead of stereo/mono two-fers? No, not really, but that idea always hit a wall when you got the White Album, so I guess they're doing what they thought they had to. I also expect that the mono box will go out of print relatively quickly, whereas they expect to keep the stereo box in print forever.

Sure, I want bonus tracks and outtakes, but for now, erring on the side of historical purity is fine with me. Since THIS dream seems to be coming true, I may as well dream for overhauled Anthology CDs with bonus tracks and better mixes. If nothing else, properly remastering the canon material and releasing them on beautifully-packaged CDs will wipe away a lot of ill will and pessimism, and clear the way for more creative new releases in the years to come.

16. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

It has indeed, but when I start getting abusive pm's over how many times I have replied in these threads, then I guess it is time to call it a night.

Shame, I thought this was a good forum but I guess every place has a few cranks. :shake:

17. den0iZer

den0iZer Forum Resident

10:12 pm... :D
    I am here 12 hours :D
    :goodie: http://www.thebeatles.com/core/home
    still looping this fantastic flash video :)

Yeah, I know, I'm nuts. :winkgrin:

18. johnny33

johnny33 New Member

:wave: the johnny's are all over the place :D

I took a nap and woke up shivering rushed to the computer and said... Wheew.,... its not just a dream... wheew. ;)

19. Tone

Tone Senior Member

Really? How much are these remaster sets?

You can get a blue box set (and needledrop it if you like) for $10 to $20 per album. These CDs won't be cheaper than that I suspect. But they may be in improvement in sound. Let's keep our fingers crossed.

20. william shears

:wave:
    I'm just still getting my head around the mono box Sean. Imagine what that could be like? I wonder if they'll do an 'homage' to the '82 mono box. Nice red leather bound? It would be great to get a beautiful book with photos of the mono master reels......jeez, I hope they make enough of these things, I wouldn't want to miss out!

21. Oatsdad

Well, as I just mentioned in another post, Apple has never been concerned with "value". They want as much money as possible, so the idea of dual stereo/mono releases just wasn't gonna happen - not when they could sell us the same albums twice. Yes, I know they did dual stereo/mono for "Capitol Years", but that was such a niche project that they would've shot themselves in the foot if they got really greedy with IT.

And I disagree that the mono box will be $300+ - that's around $30 an album, and I don't think they'll be THAT greedy. I'm sticking with a prediction of about $200 MSRP. Apple has to walk a fine line between maximizing profits and being TOO greedy - if they push the fans too hard, it'll backfire...

22. JonasR

JonasR Forum Resident

I do hope that the music CD's will sound better than the computer game that gonna be released same date. (They just can't repeat that mistake made by another band)

I'm looking forward to buy these remasters!

23. thewisk79

thewisk79 New Member

Just read the news, and soryy if this has been asked in the other tread but does anybody knows if yellow submarine will be issued in MONO?

Regards

24. william shears

:agree::wave:

25. dbmay75

dbmay75 Funk & Guitar Junkie

Agreed, time is money...

It's been stated that iTunes won't have Beatles downloads available until this year so it's safe to assume they're going to offer the remasters as the downloads, no? THAT in itself should pay for Jobs' next summer home :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.