It's Official! The Beatles Remasters Thread (Part 16)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by darkmatter, Aug 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. evanft

evanft Forum Resident

I would imagine. Are the stereo and mono versions different takes?

2. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

I though it was cool for Mr. Rouse to let it be known he is watching, and cleared up a few things.

Now, I just wish someone from EMI would chime in about the availability of the mono boxes.

3. jackinbox

jackinbox Forum Resident

True, but I'm really looking forward to Mono Masters and MMT. "Penny Lane" and "Hello Goodbye" are much better in mono and the mono version of "Revolution" absolutely destroys the stereo version.

4. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

The vocals are double-tracked. For the "cracking" section, the mono uses one track and the stereo uses the other.

5. minerwerks

minerwerks Forum Resident

I said this in the price thread, but I'll throw it out here as speculation... if the run of mono boxes is so limited that very few will escape come 09.09.09 (after pre-orders), why would they send them out to press? No point in having people review it and talk it up if nobody can buy one.

6. Grant

I agree with you 100% about the 1986 mixes. This means a large part of the public will not hear the originals.

About the secrecy thing, I agree there too. The problem is, they are not used to showing their hands, and they probably get even more tight-lipped today because they do not like the open, availability of the internet. You might say they are old-school people trying to navigate a new-school world. I say that the labels being more forthcoming about what they do is only a positive thing.

7. aaron313

aaron313 Member

Car magazines review unobtainable Ferraris all the time. Perhaps not a perfect analogy, but...

8. George P

George P Notable Member

You sound like me. :D

Now that I know the documentaries are about 4-5 minutes each and have seen those lovely booklets in the Stereo CDs, it's getting more appealing.I hate buying things twice, so I am either going to decide to just cherry pick or I'll just get the whole box. I don't wanna buy three or four and then decide to get he box, you know? Plus, the stereo box is less than the mono (though I am still getting the mono) so that's another plus.

My Birthday is a week away, so I have a good excuse to pick myself up a stereo box. :cool: I just want to hear some lossless samples first. The cuales sounded better to me today, still a little too thumpy on some tracks, but the vocals sound great!

9. George P

George P Notable Member

:agree: :agree: :agree: :agree:

(one for each Beatle) :cool:

10. George P

George P Notable Member

They sure sound like it to me. The mono sounds much better, performance-wise.

11. dlokazip

dlokazip Forum Transient

Oh, I agree totally, don't get me wrong. "Paperback Writer" also destroys the stereo version.

I did not mention those because they have been available on CD on the Singles and EP Collections. Expensive and inconvenient, but available.

Having everything in one collection of albums is MUCH better.

12. theorego

theorego Forum Resident

Its been determined that the stereo remasters will have Love Me Do, DYWTKAS, and Northern Song in mono and not mock or fake stereo. At first I didn't agree but changed my mind after realizing the stereo releases would become the canon in the long run.

However, shouldn't the mock or fake stereo mixes (even though many disregard them) have been included in the mono box set? To be sure, these are canon mono mixes and should be preserved for posterity. Didn't the press release state that the mono box set would include all mono mixes?

13. Grant

I don't really like LIB, so the old 1987 CD works for me. I'm getting rid of the vinyl. Why keep them now? My goal is to streamline my collection and just keep what I need. I am not a completest or die-hard collector. I don't need Japanese red pressings, Die Beatles, MFSL, whatever. I will no longer need the Singles or EP collections. I'm not a fan of "With The Beatles or "Beatles For Sale" to want them in stereo.

I've got some bootlegs and other stuff I will keep. Right now I have three needle drops of the White Album, Revolver, and Sgt. Pepper. When the monos come out, why do I still need the needledrops?

14. PhilCohen

PhilCohen Forum Resident

You mean "P.S. I Love You" ,NOT "Do You Want to Know a Secret".

15. BuckNaked

BuckNaked Senior Member

Really? I was under the impression that the two-track stuff wouldn't sound that great in stereo IVO the extreme separation, and it was only when they went to four tracks that the benefits of stereo became evident.

:confused:

16. theorego

theorego Forum Resident

Yes, I stand corrected.

17. Another Side

Another Side Senior Member

I'm considering doing the same, but not my mono LP's and definitely not my Y/B stereo Pepper.

18. stereoptic

stereoptic Anaglyphic GORT Staff

Did you mean "Please Please Me" or "With The Beatles"?

19. 007 Dave

007 Dave New Member

Red & Blue CDs - thoughts/impressions?

I would be interested in hearing from anyone knowledgeable as to how the tracks used on the Red & Blue CDs relate to the overall options available on CD. Did they generally use the best mixes available in 93, or were there some questionable choices?

20. Jim Ferris

Jim Ferris Banned

The Allan Rouse note that Gary posted was excellent. Thank you Allan. :cheers:

21. Grant

Damn! All this Beatles talk gets me mixed up, and I just drove 300 miles! I meant "Please Please Me".

I also wasn't going to play any Beatles music until I got the remasters, but that changed too.

22. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

To each their own, but I've gotten rid of too much stuff over the years only to realize that it was better or there was something interesting about it.

23. letmerollit

letmerollit Forum Resident

Welcome to the forum! :) :wave:

24. Another Side

Another Side Senior Member

That's the one thing holding me back on selling my stereo LP's. But I've got time, I don't have to sell everything the moment I get the CD's.

25. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Off the top of my head, they are the 87/88 digital transfers remastered (EQ and noise reduction) with the following exceptions:

She Loves You (EP box transfer remastered)

All My Loving
    Can't Buy Me Love
    A Hard Day's Night
    And I Love Her
    Eight Days A Week (new transfers of the stereo mixes, in some cases narrowed)

A Day In The Life (John Lennon Imagine version with cold start)

I don't care for the mastering. Some folks do.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.