It's Official! The Beatles Remasters Thread (Part 16)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by darkmatter, Aug 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TStewart422

TStewart422 Forum Resident

That's the plan! :righton:

I have no need for the '87 Help! or Rubber Soul CDs. I can buy all of them at Best Buy for cheaper than the box.

----------------
    Listening to: Cheap Trick - Come On, Come On (Live)
    via FoxyTunes

2. rarediscs

rarediscs Forum Resident

Has anyone answered these yet...

Did they fix Paul's voice crack in the second bridge of "If I Fell"?

Did they fix the the harmonica breath/gap in the opening of "I Should Have Known Better"? (This was fixed on subsequent LP pressings of this song so I wonder if they just went back and issued it AGAIN with the error)

Did they fix/repair the poor edits in "I Call Your Name" and "She Loves You"?

Do the cymbals in "She Loves You" still sound flanged or have they improved them?

Any answers would be greatly appreciated...

3. George P

George P Notable Member

Have you worked out the total if bought separately (at Best Buy)? I was going to do that earlier, but figured someone probably did it already.

4. BuckNaked

BuckNaked Senior Member

MONO BOX +

AHDN
    BFS
    REV
    SPLHCB
    MMT
    TB
    AR
    PM

5. mkboy1313

mkboy1313 Member

This board really is the place to be for the next month. Love getting this kind of input. Jeez I hope that darn sampler leaks before my head explodes.:goodie:

6. Dave G.

Dave G. Forum Resident

yeah I have both on order, but it is crazy money on the table & I don't care about the mini-docs, DVD/Quicktime or otherwise....
    I have the 2 Grateful Dead studio boxes & once I emptied the TOMBS they just sit on my shelf - rotting & looking ugly while the digipaks are in with the rest of my collection.

7. 007 Dave

007 Dave New Member

First post, but have been reading since the 7th or 8th thread after I found out the remasters were available for preorder approx mid-July and then in turn discovered this forum.

I fall outside the norm of most of you here. Even though I'm a little over 50 and enjoy the music, I've never owned any Beatles vinyl, and my CD exposure has been limited to the Red & Blue double CD sets purchased shortly after they were released. That is the sum total of my library and listening background.

I immediately preordered the stereo box when found listed, and after reading here for about ten days also preordered the mono box. Getting the box(es) was an easy choice given my lack of library. Actually had a number of the current CDs in my shopping cart since early this year and was unaware of the remaster activity until April. Glad at this point that I didn't pull the trigger on any of those, and eagerly looking forward to seeing what all of these other songs are about.

My question is regarding how these 4 CDs and the songs therein compare to the mainstream 87 CD releases - is the version and quality largely the same or not? I'm simply looking for a point of reference in which to frame my reading and eventual listening comparisons.

If anyone can provide a quick comparison of how the Red & Blue tracks relate to the discussions here, I would appreciate that.

Thanks

8. turniton1181

turniton1181 Past the Audition

Have done! :) Quite a pleasant surprise and a good, honest response from Mr. Rouse. And thank God someone finally shed light on the '87 H/RS mix tapes.

9. Solaris

Solaris a bullet in flight

We should be on Part 17 by morning once everyone gets a chance to read Allan Rouse's comments at the top of the Music Corner page. :)

I'd like to be among the first to thank him for weighing in here.

10. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff

Allan Rouse, in the "sticky thread" referenced above, answers many questions that we've raised regarding the production of the remastered discs-- it's worth everyone's time to take a moment to read his comments.

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=192244

And I, for one, would like to thank him very much for taking the time to address my question.

Full-track mono transfers!! :thumbsup:

-Kevin

11. theorego

theorego Forum Resident

Yes, I have this album as well as another similar one with a different running order. Also a couple of songs are eliminated. It's called "In The Beginning (Circa 1960)"

Attached Files:

12. TStewart422

TStewart422 Forum Resident

The website has them all listed at $12.99, so 12.99 x 11 = $142.89. Best Buy's current box set price is $199.99, so I'd say this is the most budget-conscious unless there are some major price changes.

13. George P

George P Notable Member

Good points, Doug. :)

14. CoryS

CoryS Forum Resident

WOW - this is the next best thing to an email from an actual Beatle! :)

Seriously, I'm impressed with the influence of this forum and its members, as well as the attention those at Apple/EMI/Abbey Road are obviously paying to this project.

Well done.

15. mdpierocarey

mdpierocarey Senior Member

Mr Rouse,

Thank you very much for dropping in with interesting news. Please accept my thanks to you and to the entire project team for taking the road of musicality and quality.

Cheers,
    Doug

16. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

Using the 1986 U-Matic digital masters for stereo RS and Help :thumbsdn:

Good thing I'm getting the mono box and never have to listen to the 87 mixes again.

17. Joel Cairo

Joel Cairo Video Gort / Paiute Warrior Staff

Well, the original mixes will at least be available, if a little expensive to acquire...

And in any event, it's the Beatles' call, not Mr. Rouse's.

-Kevin

18. dirwuf

dirwuf Misplaced Chicagoan

Perhaps you're right, but I'm going to try and be a bit more open minded

19. mbleicher1

mbleicher1 Tube Amp Curmudgeon

Yes. Let's stop holding the mastering engineers over the coals for this one. I hope that Rubber Soul is eventually treated to the stereo mix it's always deserved.

20. Jose Jones

Jose Jones Outstanding Forum Member

It was nice of Mr. Rouse to answer many of our questions. Who would have thought that Abbey Road would be paying attention to our never-ending Beatles Remasters Thread?

21. fmuakkassa

fmuakkassa Dr. M

I can see it now. Help/Rubber Soul Stereo Remasters Version II.

22. George P

George P Notable Member

I said in another thread that this forum has more influence than some of us realize.

23. BuckNaked

BuckNaked Senior Member

Can someone please define for me: full track head ?

Thanks!

24. rinso white

rinso white Pale Fire

Yes, a sincere thanks to both Allans for taking the time from their busy schedules!

25. Beattles

Beattles Senior Member

Thanks to Allan Rouse, for posting and also for the work on the remasters. From what was posted I believe the team did everything they could to live up to the task and I can't wait to hear the results!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.