Is there a "must have" list of Robert Ludwig mastered LP's?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SteveSDCA, Apr 6, 2006.

1. peter

peter Senior Member

I don't believe so, but it's a great pressing anyway, as is the CDN. copy I have as well (also a non RL).

Bencanas also likes the mid-70's CDN. red Polydor Layla LP. I can attest to this too. Simply another great record.

2. sungshinla

sungshinla Vinyl and Forum Addict

Thanks, Peter. With both you and Bencanas recommending it, I will definitely look for a copy of the mid-70's CDN red Polydor Layla vinyl.

Believe it or not, I have yet to hear the whole album on Layla. Now I have the version to look for. Yippeeeee

3. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

today, i found what can be considered a 'holy grail' for me: an 'RL' copy of Leslie West - Mountain, still-in-shrink in NM condition. the bass is so syrup-y thick, good lord! :) it sounds incredible, and that's saying a lot since this album was not very well-recorded (IMHO). it beats the Vic Anesini-remastered Legacy CD (1996). i didn't even know RL mastered this album! i was positively stupefied when i inspected the dead wax! which leads me to believe, since he also cut (with Lee Hulko) Nantucket Sleighride, that there must be some copies of Climbing! with the 'RL' etching. does anyone else have Leslie West - Mountain with 'RL'? what about Climbing!?

i also picked up a WLP 'Sterling RL' of Stealers Wheel's second album, Ferguslie Park. not a very good album, though.

4. Tristan

Tristan Member

I was wondering about the significance of RL on both sides of an Lp. Does it mean that when his initials appear only on one side that ONLY that side was mastered by him? I have quite a few RL's on one side, and quite frankly cannot discern and differentiate a sonic difference between the two. Does anyone out there have any good info on this?

BTW, I have two Green label copies of The Band, one of which has RL on both sides, and the other with RL only inscribed on one side.

5. Today I found another Robert Ludwig mastered LP....

Tim Curry (Rocky Horror Picture Show, Home Alone 2) - Fearless

6. sungshinla

I apologize in advance for giving you not much of an answer.

From my experience, sometimes the non-RL side sounds just fine (and I would suspect that the non-RL side was also mastered by Mr. Ludwig himself). A good example of this is The Police, Synchronicity with the EUR-1 EUR-4 stampers, which sounds equally excellent on both sides.

But in certain instances the non-RL side most significantly is inferior to the RL side. The best example of the latter is Led Zep II with a really wide dead wax area on Side 2 (of course, without the RL on Side 2). The difference between the two sides for that LP is basically night and day.

7. XMIAudioTech

XMIAudioTech New Member

No. He didn't always sign both sides even though he cut them both (especially true with his Masterdisk work). Check to see if the deadwax writing matches on the RL and non-RL sides. There is a post a page or so back regarding this.

-Aaron

8. mtodde

mtodde New Member

I had some RL LPs and never would have known without this forum!

I just checked and my Rush Moving Pictures, Police Synchronicity and Dire Straits Brothers in Arms have Masterdisk RL in the deadwax.

The coolest part is they were $1.01 each at Goodwill. Moving Pictures and Brothers in Arms are both a little noisy but when the music is going they are sublime...now I know why. I haven't even cleaned Synchronicity yet...but it'll be cleaned & spinning this weekend.

9. jojopuppyfish

jojopuppyfish Senior Member

I got bored at work.....here are all the Bob Ludwig mastered Lps mentioned in this thread:

.38 Special Wild-Eyed Southern Boys
    .38 Special Special Forces
    AC/DC Back in Black
    Asia Astra
    Atlanta Rhythm Section Third Annual Pipe Dream
    Atlanta Rhythm Section Champagne Jam
    Band, The Stage Fright
    Band, The S/T
    Betts, Dicky Highway Call
    Blind Faith S/T
    Bowie, David Let's Dance
    Brewer & Shipley Tarkio
    Buckingham Nicks S/T
    Clapton, Eric E.C. Was Here
    Collins, Judy Recollections
    Costello, Elvis Spike
    Costello, Elvis All This Useless Beauty
    Curry, Tim Fearless
    Def Leppard Hysteria
    DiMeola, Al Elegant Gypsy
    Dire Straits Love Over Gold
    Dire Straits Brother in Arms
    Dire Straits Extended DancE Play
    Edgar Winter Group They Only Come Out At Night
    Fagen, Donald Nightfly
    Fleetwood Mac Fleetwood Mac's Greatest Hits (1971 -- the Peter Green years)
    Fleetwood Mac Rumors
    Foo Fighters In Your Honor
    Frank Zappa Sheik Yerbouti
    Hall and Oates Big Bam Boom
    Hall and Oates ROCK 'N SOUL PART 1
    Hendrix, Jimi Band of Gypsys
    Hendrix, Jimi Hendrix in the West
    Jackson, Joe Big World
    Joel, Billy The Stranger
    Journey Escape
    Kiss Alive!
    Led Zeppelin Led Zeppelin II
    Led Zeppelin Houses of the Holy
    Lou Reed Metal Machine Music
    Madonna Like a Virgin
    Mellencamp, John Uh-Huh
    Moreira, Airto Seeds on the Ground:
    Morrison, Van His Band and his Street Choir
    Mountain Nantucket Sleighride
    Nirvana In Utero
    NRBQ Scraps
    Paul Butterfield Better Days
    Paul Butterfield Blues Band Keep on Moving
    Poco Legend
    Police, The Synchronicity
    REM Life's Rich Pageant
    Ronstadt, Linda Silk Purse
    Roxy Music Avalon
    Roxy Music Flesh & blood
    Rush Moving Pictures
    Rush Exit…..Stage Left
    Rush Signals
    Scorpions World Wide Live
    Shaw, Tommy Girls With Guns
    Sly & The Family Stone There's A Riot Goin' On
    Springsteen, Bruce Seeger Sessions
    Springsteen, Bruce Born to Run
    Stackridge Pinafore Days
    Stackridge Extravaganza
    Stealers Wheel Ferguslie Park
    Steely Dan Gaucho
    Steely Dan Greatest Hits
    Thomas, B.J. Raindrops keep Fallin' On My Head
    Tony Orlando And Dawn Greatest Hits
    Waite, John Ignition
    Warwick, Dionne Soulful
    West, Leslie Mountain
    Yes 90125
    ZZ Top Fandango

10. pope_ttb_xxx

pope_ttb_xxx New Member

Thanks!

11. sungshinla

If you like live Rock, you may also like Dire Straits, Alchemy (double LP).

This came out in both the regular version and the Quiex version and both have RL etched on the dead groove.

Also, if you like Phil Collins, No Jacket Required was mastered by RL with his initials etched in the dead wax (not all copies, however, were mastered by RL).

There are also Kinks LPs on Arista label, including Sleepwalker. I have not had the time to clean and play them but when I do, I will post here whether they are good enough to be a "must have".

12. jojopuppyfish

NP. your LA County taxes dollars at work.:D

13. Tristan

Tristan Member

I want your job! I wish I had that much time at my job to do a list like that!
    Thanks, BTW, for taking the time out of your busy day (being facetious here)
    to do this for us!
    Cheers,
    Tristna

14. vinyldoneright

vinyldoneright pbthal

Got a LP in the mail yesterday and lo and behold it has Masterdisk RL on both sides

LP is ZENO - S/T

This is a 1986 and this guy is Ulrich Roth's brother, really good melodic hard rock

15. Gary C

Gary C Forum Resident

I just checked my copy of "synchronicity" (also RL on one side / eur 4 on both) and after looking at it was wondering if the vinyl itself isn't a reason for the sound as well: it is translucent. Is this quiex? were all copies pressed on this vinyl?

16. Andrew T.

Andrew T. Out of the Vein

Yes, many (if not all) copies of Synchronicity were pressed on superior "Quiex" vinyl.

17. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

QUIEX vinyl

i know Sung has some thoughts on the 'superiority' of Quiex vinyl. i'll wait for him to chime in.

P.S. i recently found a VG++ copy of Donald Fagan's The Nightfly on Quiex vinyl for $1.00. i haven't yet A/B'd it with my other two non-Quiex 'RL' copies.

18. CybrKhatru

CybrKhatru Music is life.

I was happily surprised to find I had an RL of Triumph's "Allied Forces". Sounded great to these ears!

---Matt

19. jojopuppyfish

I was building a server at my desk and to pass the time while waiting for it to install, I compiled the list. So technically, I was working

jasonsouza77 likes this.
  20. vinyldoneright

vinyldoneright pbthal

I do some of my best Hoffman reading during Windows 2003 installs

21. sungshinla

Re: QUIEX vinyl

Hi, Eddie.

No, I am NOT gonna bite that bait, lol.

Oh what the heck.

You can all crucify me but I stand firm in my personal opinion that Quiex versions do not necessarily sound any better than the non-Quiex version. I once did an extensive A/B'ing using several copies of the regular and Quiex version of each of Dire Straits, Alchemy, Donald Fagen, Nightfly and 10,000 Maniacs, In My Tribe LPs. Some regular LPs were WLP but then some Quiex LPs were WLPs also. I basically had samples of every version.

After wasting too much time, I came to the conclusion that no generalization can be made at all. Sometimes, a regular version even won the quietness-of-the-vinyl category. Go figure. Besides, usually the Quiex versions came out AFTER the earliest stampers of the regular versions (especially the WLPs) and I have found over the years that with everything else being equal and if the same reputable engineer is mastering both LPs, I prefer the earlier stamper most of the time. The difference may be ever so slight, but it is there and detectable over repeat listening.

22. Urban Spaceman

Urban Spaceman Forum Eulipion

Hey Eddie,
    I don't have the Lesley West Mountain LP (but I know someone who does - hafta check for RL there....), but I DO have a RL cut "Climbing!" - listening to it right now, matter o' fact. To be more precise: Side One deadwax has a Sterling stamp with LH etched and the Bestway stamp (pressing plant I guess). Side Two deadwax reads LH, Sterling, RL in that order again with the Bestway stamp. Purchased for all of $0.99! Though it looks pretty clean it's not as minty as I'd like so I'll be looking to upgrade someday. But the sound is pretty awesome. Happy hunting!
    ------- Chris

23. -Ben

-Ben Senior Member

I do recommend the Canadian Polydor Layla.
    But NOTHING beats the UK Polydor Deluxe. JMHO. ;)

24. sungshinla

Change of plans. I guess I will be looking for the UK Polydor Deluxe FIRST.

Thanks again, Ben.