Is there a "must have" list of Robert Ludwig mastered LP's?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SteveSDCA, Apr 6, 2006.

1. QuestionMark?

QuestionMark? 4TH N' GOAL

I just checked my two copies of avalon and no RL's.

2. sungshinla

sungshinla Vinyl and Forum Addict

I wonder if this is common knowledge (I don't think I have heard ANYONE mention this before, EVER):

I just picked up POCO, LEGEND, with "RL" on one side, and "MASTERDISK" on both sides. This only caught my eye (as I see this record literally scores of times every time I go record shopping) because the outer COVER was LAMINATED! I had never seen that before. Only upon closer inspection did I realize that this record was issued by ABC. I had thought, for some reason, that this record was released by another company (guess not).

I have not cleaned it (and, of course, not played it) but when I do, I will report back on the sound. But then, I have no other pressing to compare this to, ugh.

3. Here a couple more(both on Sceptor Records):

Dionne Warwick - Soulful
    BJ Thomas - Raindrops keep Fallin' On My Head

WhatDoIKnow likes this.
  4. Shining cover ABC label "legend" is actually quite common. The sound on this album is very good, better than Mofi IMHO. You found a gem.

5. christopher

christopher Forum Neurotic

i just checked my LP copy of roxy's "flesh & blood" and it's mastered by RL.

later, chris

DHamilton likes this.
  6. andrewi

andrewi New Member

The question, which has not been answered, and has bothered me for some time:

If you pick up an LP, master by Robert Ludwig, which has 'Masterdisc' in the wax, but no 'RL'...does this mean you are not holding a Robert Ludwig mastered disc? Or does he simply not sign every time he cuts an LP?

7. Urban Spaceman

Urban Spaceman Forum Eulipion

Just wanted to chirp in on this thread - because of this site (and this thread) I knew to snap up the Band S/T and Stage Fright last weekend - both RL cuts and BOY! Do they sound awesome! I know I have some other RL albums in the collection that merit closer inspection (Houses of the Holy being one). As I find others I'll be sure to make them known here. Thanks to everyone contributing here. Cheers!
    ------ Chris

8. XMIAudioTech

XMIAudioTech New Member

He doesn't always sign.

Compare the writing style on an unsigned disk against a signed one (any title should do). If the writing matches, its Bob.

I have stuff with RL on one side and no sig on the other, the writing is identical.

-Aaron

9. I came across another 'RL' today....

John Waite - Ignition

Sounds beautiful!!!!

10. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Even though I personally can't speak for it since i have not heard it, but the vinyl version of Brian Wilson's smile is supposed to be real good, or at least that is what i read from some comments.

11. 51nocaster

51nocaster Senior Member

The vinyl version of Smile is an excellent audiophile-quality record--much better IMO, than the digital version. If you don't like Brian Wilson/Beach Boys, don't bother as you won't get through it. For those of us who like them--especially those who saw his recent tour, the record is a gem.

12. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

Elvis Costello: 'Spike' and 'All This Useless Beauty'

13. Asia - Astra

WhatDoIKnow likes this.
  14. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Awesome, thanks for the heads-up. Are there different pressings, or is there only one pressing currently out there? And as you could imagine by the avatar I ama huge fan of Brian Wilson and the Beach boys.

The digital actually sounds very nice for a modern recording. There is great dynamics and has lots of clarity and focus. My only issue with it is that its a bit on the bright side of things, and the bass is kind of lean.

15. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

Note: The vinyl edition of Smile was mastered by Don Grossingerm, not Bob Ludwig. :thumbsup:

16. sungshinla

Thanks for this info, Jack. Are these RL cuts on vinyl or CD?

17. Jack White

Jack White Senior Member

I was referring to the vinyl editions.

"Spike": German and Canadian pressings on the WB label.

"All This Useless Beauty": US pressing on the WB label.

The only other EC album from his WB period that I have on vinyl is "Mighty Like A Rose". It's a German pressing. No mastering credits are provided on the cover or sleeve. However, the matrix number is preceded by "R / S". I don't know what that stands for. Is it Robert Ludwig / Sterling?

I will check my other EC vinyl, but I do not think that RL mastered any of his Columbia/ Stiff/ F Beat / Demon-Imp vinyl. I am presuming that most of his WB albums - vinyl and CD - with perhaps the exceptions of "Deep Dead Blue" and "Costello & Neive Live" were mastered by RL.

I got rid of my WB CDs when I purchased the Rhino deluxe re-masters (why am I regreting that now). I still have the "Extreme Honey" compilation from his WB years on CD and it is mastered by RL. I double checked the credits for the Rhino CD versions of "Spike" and "ATUB" - not a mention of RL.

P.S. Here's an EC WB album discography to help your search:

Spike
    Mighty Like A Rose
    Juliet Letters
    Brutal Youth
    Kojak Variety
    Deep Dead Blue
    All This Useless Beauty
    Costello & Neive Live (a series of five very long EPs, not released on vinyl, mastered by Pat Kraus)
    Extreme Honey (a best of compilation)

18. 51nocaster

51nocaster Senior Member

Thanks for the clarification. I knew the vinyl sounded good, but I wasn't thinking about who mastered it. I guess we strayed a bit from the thread topic. :)

19. pope_ttb_xxx

pope_ttb_xxx New Member

I just picked up a copy at lunch. It has "SS RL" hand etched on one side. Are your versions marked "RL" on both sides or just one?
    Thanks

20. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

Don't know about Tristan, but mine has RL on both sides.

21. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I have 2 copies. Both sides on each if IIRC.

22. sungshinla

Thanks, again, Jack!! :righton:

23. pope_ttb_xxx

pope_ttb_xxx New Member

Thanks Keith and Marc. This one'll tide me over while I keep searching for a two-sided RL.

24. peter

peter Senior Member

I must add the CDN. orig. pressing of Clapton's "E.C. Was Here" and the CDN. mid-70's Polydor re-issue (gatefold--LP pulls from inside like Beatles For Sale) edition of "Blind Faith." Both amazing pressings.

25. sungshinla

Holy cow! Peter, do you know whether the US pressing of the Clapton LP was also cut by RL?