Is there a "must have" list of Robert Ludwig mastered LP's?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by SteveSDCA, Apr 6, 2006.

1. pope_ttb_xxx

pope_ttb_xxx New Member

Judy Collins -- Recollections

I'm not a fan, but I couldn't pass up a Sterling RL with 1A stampers.

Just got his ACDC -- Back In Black and sounds great.

Didn't he do most of the 70s and 80s Stones LPs?

2. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

picked up two RL's today:

Stackridge - Extravaganza (Sire, 1975)
    KISS - Alive! (Casablanca, 1975, blue label original, sounds great and this copy is worn)

3. rubbersounds

rubbersounds Forum Resident

I just picked up 2 copies of this from the same seller, same deadwax info except mine is EUR-4 on both sides. I agree the sound is incredible. :thumbsup: The other one says RCA-6 and RCA-5, again with MASTERDISK on both sides, RL only on side 1. Haven't listened to this one yet.

Although it's not an RL, Ghost In The Machine sounds fantastic as well, my copy's a STERLING followed by TJ on both sides. Ted Jensen?

4. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

yep, 'TJ' is Ted Jensen. :)

5. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

I didn't know he did that one! :) Probably my favorite Kiss album. I'll be on the look out for a copy.

6. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

i didn't know, either. i hadn't listened to Alive! in at least a decade, so when i saw 'Sterling RL' i did a double-take. an audiophile KISS record? don't know about that, but it sure sounds good to me (for a live album, that is).

7. sungshinla

sungshinla Vinyl and Forum Addict

Great for you! :righton:

I am not sure if all RL's of this vinyl sounds the same. All I know is that the copy that I (and you apparently) have is simply amazing, with no reason for an upgrade. It is just "RIGHT". And I can't say the same for 90% of the records that I buy, as there is always something that makes me want to seek out another pressing/stamper.

8. claypool

claypool New Member

Al DiMeola's "Elegant Gypsy" Columbia LP sounds great. It's mastered by RL at Masterdisk.

9. sungshinla

Billy Joel, "The Stranger", with "Sterling" AND "RL" on the dead wax. WOW! Finally, the search ends after 11 different pressings/copies.

jasonsouza77 likes this.
  10. sungshinla

Sorry folks, I guess I have already posted about Billy Joel, "The Stranger" with "sterling" with "RL" on the dead wax.

I have the following VINYL:

2 US white label promo (one with "sterling" and "TJ" for Ted Jensen; and the other with "sterling" and "RL");

4 Japanese "Master Sound" copies (some with the US dead wax markings and some with the Japanese machine-stamped markings);

1 original Japanese copy;

1 original UK copy;

3 "regular" US originals without the "RL" or "TJ"

Just about all of the above sound pretty good, except that listening to them made me want to find a slightly more "correct" sounding copy.

I originally thought that my search was over when I heard the Japanese Master Sound version (WITHOUT the US matrix markings on the dead wax), which sounds better in every way than the other pressings that I have.

But this "RL" pressing is definitely the best, and it is just "right" sounding.

I highly, highly recommend that you folks look for one.

This record is not that difficult to find and usually goes for a $1 or two, but finding a "RL" cut may be the difficult part.

Good luck to you all! This is a MUST have!

jasonsouza77 likes this.
  11. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

huh, i thought TJ was the original mastering engineer for The Stranger and that only his initials were on OG pressings. i didn't know 'ol RL did a cut, too. another one to look for; however, i don't see even a mint RL topping the SACD. it's worth finding out for myself, though, for $1.99. :)

12. bopdd

bopdd Senior Member

Inspired by this thread, I just looked at my copy of Avalon. I found Masterdisk in the deadwax but no RL, does that mean it's someone else?

Also, I just checked my Moving Pictures vinyl - it's a West German pressing with Masterdisk and RL in the deadwax. Does anyone else have this? How does it compare to other pressings handled by Ludwig? I've only played it once and it was the only time I've heard the album, so I have nothing to compare it to.

13. QuestionMark?

QuestionMark? 4TH N' GOAL

Paul Butterfield's Better Days - Bearsville WLP - Sterling RL

14. QuestionMark?

I know this must have been answered before but on McCartney, who is the LH with RL?

15. DanG

DanG On Green Dolphin Street

Lee Hulko, check his credits at AMG. IMO he's done some very nice work.

16. QuestionMark?

Thanks Dan.

17. sungshinla

I have a cut-out (advertised as a promo by the seller) copy of Nirvana, Nevermind, on the original US vinyl.

I understand that RL mastered this LP, but my copy only has "MASTERDISK" etched on the dead wax of Side One and NO "RL" and nothing on Side Two. Does anyone have a copy with "RL" on the dead wax?

By the way, I also have a recent European reissue of this vinyl (not Simply Vinyl) and it sounds incredible. In a cursory A/B comparison, this Euro disk sounded much better than my US original, but I am wondering if there is a copy with "RL", whether the "RL" copy would be the best sounding.

By the way, even my non-RL copy beats the crap out of the Mo-Fi vinyl.

jasonsouza77 likes this.
  18. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

Sung,

I thought Bob Ludwig mastered In Utero, and Howie Weinberg cut the LP for Nevermind.

I have original LPs of both records, and neither have any initials in the deadwax. Like yours, my copy of Nevermind just has Masterdisk written. I bought that LP the week of release at the local mom and pop record store.

We've discussed the European Nirvana records here before... in fact, check out these two threads:

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=21573&highlight=nirvana
    http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=45666&highlight=nirvana

If you don't have the European copy of In Utero, track one down. It sounds so damn good, not only because of the excellent mastering by Willem Makkee, but also because it uses the original Steve Albini mixes of Heart-Shaped Box and All Apologies. It sounds less harsh and more dynamic than the original US LP.

19. sungshinla

Thanks, Keith. That makes sense about the engineers.

And thanks for the link to the previous threads!

20. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

I picked up a copy of Joe Jackson's Big World on vinyl last week. I believe it's DMM, but it has RL in the deadwax. I've always enjoyed this record, and sold the LP when I bought the CD back in the late 80s. Luckily, this record is easily had for $2 or less, usually in NM condition.

21. JohnT

JohnT Senior Member

Not done looking through my stuff but happy to see (and hear):

“Avalon” Roxy Music
    “S/T” The Band
    “Led Zep II” Led Zep
    “Nantucket Sleighride” Mountain
    “Synchronicity” The Police
    “The Stranger” Billy Joel

One I haven't seen on this thread yet:
    “S/T” Buckingham Nicks

Hope to find some more!

22. I was giving my Bruce Springsteen 'Seeger Sessions' a spin tonight, and in the dead wax I noticed 'RML'. I checked the liner notes, and sure enough, "Audio Mastering by Bob Ludwig". And yes, it is an awesome sounding pressing.

23. sungshinla

Holy cow! You have some of the best sounding (and very rare) RL pressings. :righton:

24. claypool

claypool New Member

With all the praise "Synchronicity" has gotten in this thread I was wondering if RL mastered also "Zenyatta Mondatta" vinyl? I know he mastered the CD.

25. CardinalFang

CardinalFang New Member

I just pulled out my copy of REM's Life's Rich Pageant that I bought on release day (actually, the day before release day). "Mastered by Bob Ludwig at Masterdisc." The deadwax is stamped MASTERDISC but no RL. Anybody have one that does have his initials?

I wonder if he stopped writing RL in there at some point...