Is There a Mono 45 of the Rascals' "Beautiful Morning"?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Another Side, Dec 6, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

Very cool artifacts from the era. Thank you.

2. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Interesting, thank you Bob. Do you recall when you first heard (of) it being used over a finished mix? Was it ever used for some other use, effect, etc.?

3. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

I just remembered that Alone Again, Or actually was announced BEFORE Sky Pilot as the first stereo single, but that wound up being delayed even further.

4. DoctorDave

DoctorDave Senior Member

There's not really much point to that since the "Just The Right Sound" anthology is vastly superior to this original Greatest Hits LP, and it doesn't use any CSG mixes.

5. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Again, you mean first stereo single of the "modern era"? Because there were plenty of stereo singles issues in the late '50s and early '60s...

6. Grant

Grant Life is a rock, but the radio rolled me!

Another 1968 stereo 45 was James Brown's "Say It Loud, I'm Black And I'm Proud" on King Records. I think I recall reading that Brown wanted it in stereo. Not really germane to the topic at hand, but just sayin', since the issue came up...:)

7. Larry Geller

Larry Geller Surround sound lunatic

Yes.

8. Bob Olhsson

Bob Olhsson Motown Legend

My understanding is that it was mostly used in mastering to fold stereo mixes down to mono. I first read about it in the mid '60s but we stuck with separate mono mixes at Motown.

9. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

It would be interesting to know what it was used for, since many of Atlantic's mono mixes from that period are certainly unique mixes and not just fold-downs of the stereo mixes.

10. Bob Olhsson

Joe Atkinson, one of Atlantic's mastering engineers, came to Motown around 1968. He told me about the use of CSG for fold-downs. Atlantic distributed many other labels' records in addition to their own productions so I suspect it was used mostly for the in-house projects.

11. storrs19

storrs19 Life is Mono

Thank Goodness this idea did not come to Motown. They kept their singles in mono for quite a while and they cooked! I always liked that loud sound on their singles.

12. billygtexas

billygtexas Forum Resident

13. Bob Olhsson

Our stereo mixes were generally done after the mono mixes had been perfected. Atlantic was oriented around producing and selling entire albums at that point.

14. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Another major hit butchered by CSG was "All Right Now" by Free. Very phasey sounding.

15. billygtexas

I was trying out a Winamp plug-in called "Stereo Tool" @ http://www.stereotool.com/ and found out if I shifted the angle left to 95 degrees it centered the lead vocal.

This is a sample of the "Ultimate Rascals" CD played through Winamp and the plug-in with no compression or EQ.. saved to a Wav file and then compressed with Lame Mp3 at 320 kbps.
    DivShare File - Morning _phase corrected_.mp3

16. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

Wow! You actually undid the CSG phase shift!

White Room, anyone?

17. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

Nice job, thanks!

18. Fortune

Fortune Senior Member

Wow, that's great! More! :)

19. billygtexas

I was surprised it worked that well. The author of Stereo Tool said it was for correcting tape transfers with azimuth problems. For a free plugin it has a lot of power, and he's working on a (for pay) VST version.

I tried it with some Mp3's from the Vogues (from a Japanese soft pop comp called "Warner Soft Rock Collection Vol.2 - Windy") that had nasty CSG proccessing and it "fixed" them too. :righton:

20. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I've been playing around with it too. Wheels of Fire and a Buffalo Springfield. It even helped correlate the (drifting) phase of a sync-up I did.

21. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

Hunt down the promo....sounds sweet in Mono.

22. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Chip,

I'll have to find one! Thanks for the heads up!

23. electrode10101

electrode10101 Forum Resident

In Cool Edit Pro I found a filter called "Graphic Phase Shifter" that allows you to alter the phase graphically by frequency and for both, or either left or right channels. Works very well, shifting the left channel -90 degrees linearly via frequencies for the Rascals and Free. I will need to try others, of course.

24. Drawer L

Drawer L Forum Resident In Memoriam

CSG comedy albums???? Yeah.that was necessary.......

25. Drawer L

Drawer L Forum Resident In Memoriam

Going through 45 collections 'round these parts,I can usually tell what radio stations the owners listened to...you listened to WMCA and WOR-FM.Also-I have 95% of the same 45s.-Except,of course,you bought your's new & I bought 'em 15-20 years later....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.