is there a good current CD of miles davis "kind of blue"?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by phish, Nov 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PBo

PBo Forum Resident

Just reading through this thread with interest in the most currently available Japan SACD.

Why would a DSD file have to be downsampled to be remastered? Doesn't downsampling mean converting to a smaller bit rate?

2. GreenDrazi

GreenDrazi Truth is beauty

I think he just means converted to PCM format from DSD for any non-SACD formats - i.e., redbook CD’s.

3. fatcat28037

fatcat28037 Forum Resident

Columbia Legacy Edition <> bar code 886972710525
    Columbia SACD/DSD/Multi Ch <> bar code 074646493564

Both are excellent

4. PBo

PBo Forum Resident

Ahh, he was referring to the redbook layer. Ok, that makes sense. I was interested in the SACD layer, especially the multi-channel layer of the disc.

5. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

The only other CDs that have the 35DP mastering are the Japan-for-U.S. and original U.S. DADC pressings with catalog number CK 08163. The Japan-for-U.S. pressing has "35DP-62" in the matrix code, while the U.S. pressing has "DIDP 50062" in the matrix code. The two pressings have the same inserts. The U.S. pressing is much harder to find in my experience.

Note that there are only Japan-for-U.S. and U.S. DADC pressings under catalog number CK 08163. If you find a copy with this catalog number, you've found the 35DP mastering. No secret remaster to worry about.

Frankly, the Japanese 35DP CD is easier to find than the CK 08163 discs if you consider eBay. However, there is always the chance you will find a CK 08163 disc in the bins in the U.S. for a lot less than a 35DP disc on eBay.

6. George P

George P Notable Member

Many thanks, Keith! :wave:

Thankfully, I have the Japan for USA.

7. mark7

mark7 Guest

Sorry for resurrecting the thread, but I've read tons of posts here about Kind of Blue on CD, and still haven't found out which CD has the original 1959 stereo mix?

Thanks.

8. Fortune

Fortune Senior Member

35dp Japan. Original stereo mix.

SOONERFAN likes this.
  9. buddybg

buddybg Forum Resident

Has anyone heard the new K2HD version?

10. Harlanator

Harlanator Forum Resident

Anyone? If so, how does it compare to the 50th Anniversary edition?

11. triple

triple Senior Member

12. mungga

mungga Member

Just to confirm in case it hasn't been done, the CSCS 5141 has identical peak levels to the 2nd 1986 mastering.

13. Robert C

Robert C Forum Resident

What's the one to buy now? I'm not interested in bonus tracks.

14. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I gave my son my Marantz 5003 CD player sometime ago because I like records but I was curious about the SACD format but didn't want to drop a grand on a player. I lucked out and found a mint Marantz SA8003 player in the classified section here at a great price and bought it. Anyway I discovered a long forgotten Legacy Kind Of Blue CD set and was just amazed at how good this CD sounds. I'm still waiting for the MFSL 45 rpm release but this sure is a nice sounding CD. Now I need to check out a few SACDs. AP's Wish You Were Here should be here today:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.