Is the trombone dead?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by shnaggletooth, Aug 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John DeAngelis

John DeAngelis Senior Member

It's called a slide whistle. There's a slide whistle solo on The Lovin Spoonful's "Henry Thomas" from "Hums of the Lovin' Spoonful.

2. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

I especially love Bowie's work with Kahil El'Zabar in the Ethnic Heritage Ensemble. Favorites are "Dance with the Ancestors" and "21st Century Union March." Some wonderfully deft and soulful trombone playing on those records!

L.

Dance with the Ancestors

3. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

Rob McConnell and the Boss Brass are still active, and feature trombone a lot.

4. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

As a counterpart to human voice, I learned much later in my life that both Gene McDaniel/s TOWER OF STRENGTH and the Everly's THAT'S OLD FASHIONED, 1960s pop hits, both featured the trombone on their memorable intros.

5. shnaggletooth

shnaggletooth Senior Member Thread Starter

Wow, thanks for all the great links, people. Lots more trombone players out there than I figured. I'm glad there's still some life in the old warhorse, yet. :)

But I'm surprised to hear that both the clarinet and the vibes are fading away. The clarinet especially is an awesome instrument, and I don't understand why the bop players largely ignored it (though the vibes certainly weren't ignored).

6. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

;)I saw that an hour after I posted and couldn't edit. I see it took 4 pages til someone noticed my group spoonerism.:laugh:

7. 926am

926am Senior Member

The accordian.

8. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

Again. Instrument, or weapon?

9. zobalob

zobalob Senior Member

:laugh::laugh: But a weapon that can sound beautiful, have you heard a lone piper playing a lament?

I agree on the accordion though....:D

10. snap

snap Forum Resident

Q: What's the difference between a dead trombonist in the road and a dead duck in the road?

A: There are skid marks in front of the duck. :D

11. Captain Bacardi

Captain Bacardi Active Member

12. Dr. Bogenbroom

Dr. Bogenbroom I'm not a Dr. but I play one on SteveHoffman.TV

Haha, I was going to say...give me some trombone, clarinet and vibraphone/xylophone and I'm set :D

13. :righton: And the tuba on "Wake The World" :)

And the French Horns on err.. "George Fell Into His French Horn" :D and "Surf's Up"

14. kvsawilson

kvsawilson Senior Member

15. il pleut

il pleut New Member

George Lewis the brilliant avant garde trombonist and composer hasn't been mentioned I think. And of course there are countless orchestra compositions that use trombone.

Trombone Dixie is a great track. It's also 44 years old, so I don't know if it's a great example of the continuing viability of the trombone.

16. StirBlues

StirBlues Forum Resident

Brookmeyer is still touring I think; its kinda funny that he hasn't been mentioned yet...

17. Captain Bacardi

Captain Bacardi Active Member

Probably because he's a valve player. A lot of trombone purists consider the valve bone as they would the DH in baseball - it just doesn't belong. ;)

But I love Brookmeyer's playing as well as his arranging. JJ was also a great arranger.

I had put Jimmy Knepper's Knepper in L.A. on the turntable the other night. Great stuff!

18. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

It's very well alive in rock/pop genre.

Bands like Chicago, Blood, Sweat & Tears, the Phoenix Horns, and a few others have popularized the sound of brass in rock.
    James Pankow was one of the most talented trombonists of the rock genre.

Let's not forget Clifford "Urbie" Green who was one of the most sought-after jazz trombonists in the music industry.

Below are the photos of Chicago and Urbie Green respectively.

Attached Files:

19. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

This is the album I reach for when I want to hear trombone perfection. I'm sorry J.J. decided to leave us when he did but he's in a better place now.

PROOF POSITIVE

20. Nate-O-Phonic

Nate-O-Phonic I didn't get a Harrumph! outta that guy...

I second the Bonearama post above. They are pretty big on the Jam Band circuit, reinterpreting Edgar Winter, Jimi Hendrix and even Black Sabbath:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tjA8198XJdo&feature=related

With a front line of 4 trombones, they are pretty high powered.

Also. Big Sam's Funky Nation is really funky

21. [​IMG] [​IMG]

"The Time Is Now!" especially -- check out the samples HERE. :cool:

As a musician friend one said to me once (about the Alban Berg string quartets), "It'll fnuk you up REAL good!!!"

22. mrbillswildride

mrbillswildride Internet Asylum Escapee 2010, 2012, 2014

I play it once, in 4th grade...

Paging Patrick Denny, please PM me Patrick Denny, :help:

thanks,
    :cheers:
    mrbill

23. BigManAndy

BigManAndy Active Member

Trombone dead? NO WAY!!!

Less Than Jake -- Trombone AND Sax (off to the left, not pictured)
    [​IMG]

Big D and The Kids Table
    [​IMG]

Voodoo Glow Skulls
    [​IMG]

Streetlight Manifesto
    [​IMG]

I could go on and on. Trombones and Punk/Ska bands and many other genres are very prominent. All the bands I posted above are still active, and from the 90's till now. I would have found more, but got tired of all the image searching. haha

24. oxenholme

oxenholme Senile member

Only the other day I bought a superb trombone CD by Rico Rodriguez.

The most interesting trombone player I have seen played live at The Brewery Arts Centre in Kendal some years back - he had no arms, I think due to Thalidomide. He was playing a specially adapted instrument and was an excellent player.

25. AudiophilePhil

AudiophilePhil Senior Member

It's nice to see these young groups following in the footsteps of Chicago, Blood, Sweat & Tears, and other brass rock bands of the late 60's and early 70's.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.