Is the trombone dead?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by shnaggletooth, Aug 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. janschfan

janschfan Senior Member

Frank Rosolino was a great L.A. trombonist who played with bands such as Stan Kenton, Supersax, and Tower Of Power.He died in '78 after shooting both young sons and then killing himself. Such a horrific tragedy. One son survived although he was blinded. Here's a link to Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_Rosolino

Boy, you just don't see the number of great trombone( clarinet , etc.) players like in the 50's through the 70's.

2. ATR

ATR Senior Member

Maybe you don't. I've seen and heard plenty, and their names are all over this thread. Sure, there will never be another J.J. Johnson, but these players are fabulous. I even forgot Julian Priester (sorry, Dupre), who played with Herbie Hancock and Eddie Henderson and in the Sun Ra band.

3. janschfan

janschfan Senior Member

You're absolutly right on all counts ( especially about Julian Priester..I loved the Mwandishi band). What I didn't say very well was that it seems that there is a lower visibility for these instruments today. Outside of big bands, I hardly see them compared to decades past.

4. :righton:
    I will: The Beach Boys - "Wake The World" :goodie:

5. Spaceboy

Spaceboy Senior Member

I guess it's an old fashioned instrument, less flexible than the trumpet or sax.

6. webbcity

webbcity Confused Onlooker

There's no such thing as an inflexible instrument, only inflexible musicians.

7. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

The trombone isn't dead, but it is on a downward slide:sigh:

8. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

Isn't the trombone the only instrument that changes shape when played? I thought I heard that once in some trivia contest....

9. ATR

ATR Senior Member

And ignorant listeners. It's easy to say you haven't heard any good new trombone players lately, it's also easy to find a bunch of good ones (as the experienced listeners among us have demonstrated). Whether, statistically, there are fewer people taking up the instrument than there were 50 years ago is something I would have to see more than anecdotal evidence of.

10. Dave G.

Dave G. Forum Resident

11. trebori

trebori Forum Resident

12. webbcity

What about bagpipes? :)

13. Jerry

I believe Toots & The Maytals use trombone on their recordings.

14. Jerry

Bagpipes aren't an instrument. They're a weapon!

15. Dave G.

Dave G. Forum Resident

I just remembered Robin Eubanks, who plays a very prominent role with the Dave Holland Quintet & Big Band - one of the finest and most respected current jazz bands in the world.

16. John DeAngelis

John DeAngelis Senior Member

17. scotto

scotto Senior Member

Good call!
    Can't believe I forgot him either, especially since I just listened to his "P'nk J'zz" album with Charles "Bobo" Shaw and the Human Arts Ensemble a couple of days ago.

18. ATR

ATR Senior Member

Definitely. I saw his band in Cambridge last summer. He uses a lot of electronic effects now. His brother Kevin has also played with Holland and lead or leads The Tonight Show band (Leno edition). Robin played with Ronald Shannon Jackson's Decoding Society for a while, as well. Great player.

19. ATR

ATR Senior Member

I searched for but couldn't find his duet album with Oliver Lake on Sackville anywhere. Too bad, because it's my first recommendation of his recorded work. He took a guest role on the most recent Bobby Previte session, Bump. Joe has had a rocky ride and disappeared from the music scene a few times. When he's on his game he's as great a trombonist as his brother was a trumpeter. Sorry I can't recommend Funky Donkey, another Human Arts Ensemble disc. The recording is very distorted. Got a great review on amg, though.

20. The musical saw :D
    The sackbut (a medieval & renaissance trombone ancestor)
    The whistle used on "On A Holiday" (Brian Wilson presents SMiLE). I don't know what it's called.

21. williamjoel

williamjoel Spins At 33 1/3 RPM

That's JAMES Pankow. Walter Parazaider is their reed player.

22. bresna

bresna Senior Member

If the Mingus Big Band ever comes through your town and Frank Lacy is sitting in the trombone chair, be prepared for some great blowing (and singing). If Frank can't make it, Conrad Herwig will likely be the lead. Either way, what a great band to see live.

Oh, I almost forgot about Chris Washburn's S.Y.O.T.O.S. (See you on the other side) band.

Did anyone mention Steve Turre?

23. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

That seems strange (vibes). They are neat, and easy to bring along!

Anyway I like all those instruments.

I recently heard Kai Winding's recording of Time Is On My Side.

24. webbcity

:confused: This thread is getting stranger by the minute.

25. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

Please, say it isn't so, somebody. A trombone is a wonderful thing. It most closely resembles the sound, pitch, and range of the human voice out of any of the instruments. The slide makes it utterly unique in the sounds it can make. Have you ever heard a trombone choir? The most heavenly sound on earth. There are trombone choir competitions every year at the Ft. Myer Army base near where I live in Arlington, VA. They come out of colleges and military bands from all over the country. You haven't lived till you've heard this kind of thing, I promise you. It rattles and shakes my soul.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.