Is the trombone dead?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by shnaggletooth, Aug 20, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. webbcity

webbcity Confused Onlooker

:righton:

2. Xico

Xico Forum Resident

Enrico Rava (Italian trumpet player) quintet has a good trombonist, Gianluca Petrella. But I was surprised when I saw them, to see a trombone at the stage. It's really rare; it was never very usual.

3. full moon

full moon Forum Resident

4. mr.schneider

mr.schneider Active Member

Oh god no!! I heard the trombone wasn't doing well, but to hear that it might be dead. Terrible! Get well soon, trombone.

5. lschwart

lschwart Senior Member

Since the late '60s? IN addition to those listed already, check out George Lewis!

L.

6. zen archer

zen archer Forum Resident

Greg Boyer played some tasty Trombone on Princes Musicology tour !

7. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

Not as long as someone's keeping SKA alive!

8. Matty

Matty Senior Member

My son decided to join the school band last year, when he was in the fourth grade, and he picked the trombone as his instrument. I don't think he'll be sparking a trombone revival, but he's given me a new appreciation for the instrument.

I should buy him a couple of CDs from some of the artists mentioned in this thread.

9. dgstrat

dgstrat Senior Member

The opening track, "Make it Mine" from the new Jason Mraz album has a nice trombone solo!

10. bresna

bresna Senior Member

Curtis had half of one lung... or maybe it was an entire lung removed a few years back. He simply cannot blow like he used to or wants to. I've seen him a few times in the past few years and it is hard to see him try and play like he used to. He's better when he uses a clip-on microphone. When he does that "stuff the mic into his bell" playing, it's all muffled.

Oh yeah, and he is 73 years old. :)

11. Certainly the trombone will always have a home in ska; many of the better bands have a trombone player.

EDIT: I see vince above concurs...

12. Green Tea

Green Tea Sweet Soulful Sounds

13. scotto

scotto Senior Member

Another vote for Roswell Rudd. Excellent stuff. Also, Craig Harris is a monster.

14. zen

zen Senior Member

Never. I had some Glenn Miller blastin' just the other night.

[​IMG]

15. KeithH

KeithH Success With Honor...then and now

Name? YouTube video? :)

16. trebori

trebori Forum Resident

There are all people who have recently put out recordings

Roswell Rudd is still performing
    Steve Swell is fantastic! Best thing out there. Really creative player who's been putting out great records since around 98.
    Jeb Bishop was a member of Ken Vandermarks five until recently. Heard him last December co-leading a band with Dave Rempis.
    Dave Taylor is a master of the bass trombone. He has a quartet with Swell.
    Dutch trombonist Wolter Wierbos just did a solo tour of the US and was amazing
    Samuel Blaser is a good up and coming player

17. Matt I

Matt I Forum Resident

I'd say that the trombone is way down the list in popularity but it's not dead. The only two instruments that are dead in jazz (or close to it) are the tuba and the vibes. The trombone is also doing better than the clarinet.

I'd like to see a lot more trombone featured music. One of my favorite albums is Stan Getz and J.J. Johnson At The Opera House.

18. John DeAngelis

John DeAngelis Senior Member

Amen to that! I saw Roswell a few months back and he was fabulous!

The trombone isn't dead, it just smells funny.

19. John DeAngelis

John DeAngelis Senior Member

Another Roswell Rudd fan! And from Rochester, home of my favorite trio, the Hi-Risers!

Welcome to the Forum!!!

20. ATR

ATR Senior Member

It All Depends on What You Know

In addition to those already mentioned,
    Al Mangelsdorff
    Paul Rutherford
    Gunter Christmann
    Gary Valente
    Jeb Bishop
    Konrad Bauer
    Grachan Moncur
    Isaiah Jackson
    Melba Liston
    Glenn Ferris
    Radu Malfatti
    Nick Evans
    Malcolm Griffiths
    Bruce Fowler
    Bernard Hunnekink
    Willem van Manen

http://www.amazon.com/Slideride-Anderson/dp/B000001YU5 Unfortunately it's going for big coin on amazon, but it's my favorite trombone record, except perhaps for the Stuart Dempster 1750 Arch classic. Anything by Chris McGregor's Brotherhood of Breath or Globe Unity Orchestra always has a lot of trombone, as does most Afro-Cuban and other Latin jazz fusions. I've had the pleasure of working with Craig Harris, Ray Anderson, and Bernard Hunnekink. Harris insisted that I do more listening to George Clinton (this was 25 years ago) whose P-Funk horn section includes Fred Wesley of the James Brown band. Yes, Mangelsdorff and Rutherford have died, and so will the rest of us. But their recordings are still out there.

21. webbcity

22. scotto

scotto Senior Member

Trombone joke:
    Q: What's the difference between a duck going down the street in a taxi and a trombone player walking down the street on the sidewalk?

A: The duck's probably on his way to a gig.

23. webbcity

24. ATR

ATR Senior Member

25. Jerry

Jerry Grateful Gort Staff

I never thought about the trombone much until I heard J.C. Higginbotham. He played with the Luis Russell Orchestra in the 20's and 30's, with Red Allen and Louis Armstrong after that, and into the 50's I believe. My favorite trombone solo of all time is Tommy Dorsey with the Rhythmakers. I think the song was "Who Stole The Lock (On The Hen House Door)".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.